GDT: 'Canes at 'Yotes: Must Win Game #32

Clark Gillies

Oct 3, 2006
Carolina
this whole "sell high/sell low" concept is a myth anyways. teams know fully well what they are getting with Peters and what they aren't. will be interesting to see what JR can do with the situation. nice problem to have I guess.

Would be an actual nicer problem to have if Cam was playing up to his potential.

I know it won't happen, but couldn't Khudobin qualify to go down on a conditioning stint. I really don't like the idea of throwing him in meaningful games when he hasn't played in game situations in almost 2 months, and having to sit and probably not dress a hot goalie to do so.

Clark Gillies

Oct 3, 2006
Carolina
I didn't see the game, but an interesting note on that EN goal, Eric Staal now has as many EN goals as he has ES goals (with a goalie in the net):

3 ES Goals (with a goalie in the net)
3 EN Goals
2 SH Goals
1 PP Goal

I just gave my 11 year old son, the final recap of the game, as he went to bed after the second period.

First reaction, raises both hands up:dunno: and says "Staal always gets the empty net goal"

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
FFS Staal.....have you no shame at all??????????? (apart from the little bit of emotion shown at the end tonight which was long over due). your point streaks are pointless...............really. you should be embarrassed. Christ.

Ok, I'll bite. What?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Still unsure what Khudobin has done to prove he shouldn't be traded other than being the flavor of the month.

To me it would be a matter of trade value. I don't think that Khudobin has as much value to a team as Peters does right now. While we suspect that Khudobin is/should be/can be as good as Peters is playing right now, teams would probably be more inclined to take the guy who has actually done it this year than the guy who seems to have the potential to do it. Khudobin hasn't gotten a lot of chances in the NHL, but he hasn't ever really laid an egg like Peters has in the NHL either with a chance to really run with a starter role. What Peters has been doing recently has been ridiculously admirable, but I can't help but wait for the bottom to fall out.

To me, it's a coin toss on these guys as to who you should keep. That means whoever gets you the most in return is the guy who should be out.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I'm fine for shipping out whoever brings the best return, or at least saying it's a tough call, etc. I just don't think it's a slam dunk decision that Peters needs to go, or that he needs to go if all they'd get back is a 5th round pick.

But let's be honest, neither Khudobin nor Peters is staying for the long haul. They're both only about 2 years younger than Ward, and right around the time that becoming a starter is make or break. They're both on similarly cheap one-year contracts and won't be given much of a raise, if any. They might not even want one to stick around. Obviously one has to stay this year, but this team will likely need to find a new backup next year anyway.

Peters' value is only going up the way he's playing. Maybe Rutherford waits some more.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Ok, I am sure I will regret bringing this up in the not too distant future. I am not saying this is the case, but there is always the possibility that Peters is just finally figuring it out. There are cases where guys are just late bloomers, finding their style a little later on in their careers (Tim Thomas i.e.)

Like I said, I am not saying that is the case here, but at what point of Peters "hot streak" does that become a possibility in your minds?

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
At least two seasons.

Goalie like others have said is very mental position. I think he's confident in his abilities now but his abilities imo will always be backup level. Its better than AHL level.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It's not entirely unprecedented, but guys usually don't go from Quad A goalie to not just NHL starter but stellar overnight... at age 27... with a rather mediocre history before then. Anderson's one of the few I can think of that's been able to do that at a similar age, but and Thomas are literally about it that I can think of off the top of my head.

And yet here you have Peters AND Scrivens doing just that in the same ****ing year. What the hell is going on? I really keep waiting for the regression toward the mean, but you gotta ride this **** while it's going.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Kiprusoff kind of did it too.

Peters is climbing into the top 10 in both GAA and Save percentage. He's talked about confidence multiple times. He definitely has it in spades right now.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I thought that that play where he batted the puck down with his glove to keep the play going in the third was indicative of his level of confidence right now. he's in a groove.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I will shut up about Peters when he is able to show anything noteworthy in the shootout. He could get scored on all three times, but as long as he's in the fight then I will be happy. That .....whatever that was against the Wild was one of the weakest exhibitions of goaltending I have ever seen in my life. Zero hyperbole.

jstaal

go canes go
Apr 14, 2009
mass
in

I typed this, in regards to the Estaal bashing.. look at his stats.. the bashing is so way off base..

Zezima

Jul 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I typed this, in regards to the Estaal bashing.. look at his stats.. the bashing is so way off base..

He's on pace for 68 points. While he has picked it up over the last 15 or so games he still should be closer to a ppg pace. Not complaining here but the highest paid players should be the most frequently criticized.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
But with Eric how much of it was him simply still being slowed down by the injury from Edler's dirty hit?

9 points in his first 18 games
19 points in the following 16 games

Not saying he's going to keep up that 19 in 16 by any means, but things are likely going to move closer and closer to point-per-game as the season progresses. I mean there's a huge difference between being able to play at say 85%, and being 100%. I think we've been seeing 100% Eric for the past month... just took him a month to get there.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Eric is gonna Eric. He wakes up after November every season and recovers enough to hit 70 every year. He'd be a slam dunk PPG player if he didn't coast through the first month of the season every year. Oddly enough, there was no October last season and he was over a PPG.

He'll hit 70 again. It's just how he works.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well, I think skinner and his streak has had a positive influence on estaal. Probably has helped his numbers a bit. Please keep semin away from these two.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I will shut up about Peters when he is able to show anything noteworthy in the shootout.

Are you saying that you will get on the Peters bandwagon if he does well in shootouts? And if so, does that fact alone also keep you off of the Ward bandwagon?

Shootout stats this year (W/L, GA/ShotsFaced):
Cam Ward: 0W-2L, 2-5
Justin Peters: 1W-1L, 2-6

Ward had no SOs last year, but the previous year he won 1 game out of 7 SOs, and his GA/ShotsFaced was 12-20. I haven't done a league-wide comparison, but aren't those numbers awful?

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Are you saying that you will get on the Peters bandwagon if he does well in shootouts? And if so, does that fact alone also keep you off of the Ward bandwagon?

Shootout stats this year (W/L, GA/ShotsFaced):
Cam Ward: 0W-2L, 2-5
Justin Peters: 1W-1L, 2-6

Ward had no SOs last year, but the previous year he won 1 game out of 7 SOs, and his GA/ShotsFaced was 12-20. I haven't done a league-wide comparison, but aren't those numbers awful?

I think he means "Once Peters doesn't look like Helen Keller playing in a beer league" during shootouts; In terms of being embarrassed by the shooter and out of position. Also it's irrelevant to compare SO W/L because god knows we can't score in shootouts and that is required to get the win.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I think he means "Once Peters doesn't look like Helen Keller playing in a beer league" during shootouts; In terms of being embarrassed by the shooter and out of position. Also it's irrelevant to compare SO W/L because god knows we can't score in shootouts and that is required to get the win.

Yes, this is the definition that more closely fits to what I was trying to say. I just want some proof of any kind that the man can look competent in a shootout situation before I say he's unquestionably this or unquestionably that. And I think the numbers up there are messed. Peters hasn't stopped 4 of 6 attempts this season. I would think it's probably in reverse of that and if I remember correctly the 2 misses were shots off net.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
And I think the numbers up there are messed. Peters hasn't stopped 4 of 6 attempts this season. I would think it's probably in reverse of that and if I remember correctly the 2 misses were shots off net.

They are...my bad on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2