GDT: 'Canes at 'Yotes: Must Win Game #32

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I typed this, in regards to the Estaal bashing.. look at his stats.. the bashing is so way off base..

While he has played better recently, I was tempted to respond with the "instead of looking at the stats, how about watching him play?", but figured it's better to stick with the stats. Let's focus on goal scoring vs. time on ice.

As I posted earlier, Eric's 9 goals this season are: 3 EN Goals; 3 ES Goals (with a goalie actually in the net); 1 PP Goals; 2 SH Goals. So he has a total of 4 goals at ES/PP when there is a goalie in the net over 34 games. For a guy that:

- Plays 1/3rd of the game ES/PP (19:40 / game);
- Get's 61% of his starts in the offensive zone;
- Does not play well defensively (his -8 is 2nd worse on the team)
- Get's paid $9.25M (which is almost 15% of the teams' total salary).

Should we not expect a lot more than 1 ES/PP goal every 8-9 games and being poor defensively?

As I stated, he has played better recently and as Bleed said, the addition of Skinner to his line seems to have been a positive influence, but this team needs more from him than they have gotten season to date. Thankfully the trend seems to be in the right direction so hopefully that continues.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Are you saying that you will get on the Peters bandwagon if he does well in shootouts? And if so, does that fact alone also keep you off of the Ward bandwagon?

Shootout stats this year (W/L, GA/ShotsFaced):
Cam Ward: 0W-2L, 2-5
Justin Peters: 1W-1L, 2-6

Ward had no SOs last year, but the previous year he won 1 game out of 7 SOs, and his GA/ShotsFaced was 12-20. I haven't done a league-wide comparison, but aren't those numbers awful?

Well, I know this stat isnt correct, since against the Wild on Nov 9th he gave up 3 goals on 3 shots.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
While he has played better recently, I was tempted to respond with the "instead of looking at the stats, how about watching him play?", but figured it's better to stick with the stats. Let's focus on goal scoring vs. time on ice.

As I posted earlier, Eric's 9 goals this season are: 3 EN Goals; 3 ES Goals (with a goalie actually in the net); 1 PP Goals; 2 SH Goals. So he has a total of 4 goals at ES/PP when there is a goalie in the net over 34 games. For a guy that:

- Plays 1/3rd of the game ES/PP (19:40 / game);
- Get's 61% of his starts in the offensive zone;
- Does not play well defensively (his -8 is 2nd worse on the team)
- Get's paid $9.25M (which is almost 15% of the teams' total salary).

Should we not expect a lot more than 1 ES/PP goal every 8-9 games and being poor defensively?

As I stated, he has played better recently and as Bleed said, the addition of Skinner to his line seems to have been a positive influence, but this team needs more from him than they have gotten season to date. Thankfully the trend seems to be in the right direction so hopefully that continues.

To me it seems like an odd timing and thread in general for people to piss and moan about Staal. 3 points and a +3 in a 3-1 win. Obviously his season as a whole has been underwhelming.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, give it a game or two and I'm sure there will be plenty to ***** at Eric about.

GoCanes2013

May 7, 2009
Raleigh
Interesting how we're quick to say Peters still needs to 'validate' his performances, while he's effectively improved (over the same # of games) at an inverse rate to how Ward has been digressing, but Ward is still the man...

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Interesting how we're quick to say Peters still needs to 'validate' his performances, while he's effectively improved (over the same # of games) at an inverse rate to how Ward has been digressing, but Ward is still the man...

I don't think I've seen anyone call Ward "the man" this year. The most positive thing about him that's been said is that he "needs to find his game again".

As for the different reaction between the two, it's because Peters has had a history of failure that 20 games of success isn't going to override. If he continues to play this way throughout the year, then his past will start to be that: his past. Likewise, Ward has had a history of success, something that 20 games shouldn't override. But again, if he continues to struggle, that history won't save him from the legitimate criticism he deserves.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
To me it seems like an odd timing and thread in general for people to piss and moan about Staal. 3 points and a +3 in a 3-1 win. Obviously his season as a whole has been underwhelming.

Fair enough, but in fairness, it wasn't so much pissing an moaning as it was responding to Dinz's "Look at the stats" comment. I try to avoid the over-reaction to every single game (good or bad) and look at the season as a whole so the timing had nothing to do with his 3 point game.

This whole progression started with me just stating that it was odd that Eric has as many EN goals as he does ES goals. People joked about that and that's when Dinz made his comment about "bashing" Staal, which I never really saw as bashing.

That's the context of my response.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Yours was the last postin the subject, I shouldn't have even quoted it. It was more of a response to the topic being brought up in the 1st place (which I don't think started with your ENG comments anyway).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad