Confirmed Trade: [VAN/CGY] Elias Lindholm for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st, cond. 2024 4th

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The difference is that Bergeron drove possession at an elite rate by dominating center ice and Lindholm doesn’t do that.
He did it when he had wingers the caliber that Bergeron has had. He's not Bergeron level, but he's the same archetype.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
What a unique and weird player.
pretty darn good one too.

it's so hard to describe him but i'll try,.
He's a combination of the following adjectives;

Smart, kinda-fiesty, 'heady', quick, eager yet responsible in a boring but surprisingly sometimes-dangerous kind of way, perfectly positioned and some-how 'darty'

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Lol 'winning system'.

Kuz has more goals than any Canuck winger since joining the league, and finished 2nd only to Boeser this year. Hardly a small sacrifice.

Hard to mock a sophomore half season slump, when we have several wingers COMBINING for less goals over more time. That's disappearing.

Even if you believe Kuz had to go, he needed to be replaced. Team has a huge hole on the W since this trade.

Crazy how many had to eat crow on saying the same things about Boeser + Hoglander, just moving onto the next scape goat.
Simple question, do you feel the Canucks are better with Kuzmenko or Lindholm in the lineup?

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Do you want to win or watch goals? You win with Lindholm, you get to watch goals with Kuzmenko. Since the Lindholm trade the Flames are a much worse team despite scoring the same amount of goals.
Great post. This pretty well sum up the trade and why the Canucks made it.

I honestly believe the Canucks are playing golf today instead of game 2 without his deal.

Reactions: D0ctorCool

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
i agree with this and the highlighted is most certainly the biggest reason why Kuzmenko was moved. Tocc wanted buy in and you can bet your ass that Kuzmenko and the Bali shenanigans while others were busting their asses to get better last off season didn't sit well.

Hi literally signed a 11million dollar contract and went partying for his summer and the proof was in his play conditioning and effort. Tocchet was pissed because he warned of that before he left even.

The fact he was having a terrible season while the team was dragging him along and he was becoming unplayable in Tocchets system for months was the final nail. Has nothing to do with what Kuzmenko is capable of. The Flames got a hell of an offensive player for free essentially because of the timing and a fractured trust/relationship

It's really too bad for Pettersson as he had a winger with enough talent that the 2 would drive a top6 line together now he's stuck with a energy player and a checker. For the Flames it was a free gift and absolutely he can improve his defending/decision making to be a top player. Will he is the question

Great trade for the Flames as they get some really interesting high end potential but it's also been exactly what Van hoped for from a deadline deal since Lindholm has stepped up big in this playoffs and without him during Pettersson's struggles we would be toast....hoping they can find a way to retain him EL is a fantastic 2 way player.

No one ever said grown men can't be petty. Kuz simply wasn't afforded the same rope that others were, made it look real personal. His struggles weren't unique.

It's not like the rest of the team didn't vacation.. we had guys out duning in Dubai at the same time this past year. Heck I don't think EP lifted anything heavier than a bud light in his first few offseasons here.

They all toned down on the posting, but you can get a good feel for whos training via their instagrams. Kuz actually looked to work out too much. Looked more like a body builder than a hockey player to start the year.

Still, the management has to own it. They saw what the team was like before Kuz, there was heaps of warning signs about EP and the PP when Kuz ended up in the dog house. Even after the trade when the scoring fell off a cliff, there was ample time before the deadline to make another move. The list of players on this team with near zero, or actually zero goals since the invention of the wheel is comical.

Luckily they drew Nashville, but damn that was close. One less coat of paint on the posts, and this could have been a disaster. Thankfully Skinner looks like a beer leaguer too.

Ultimately, we upgraded our 3rd line, and PK, at the expense of the 2nd line and PP. Pick your poison. Bizarre this is even controversial. Then again, it's the same group that predicted a bubble team at best, and clamored to offload Miller + Hogs pre-season.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
No one ever said grown men can't be petty. Kuz simply wasn't afforded the same rope that others were, made it look real personal. His struggles weren't unique.

It's not like the rest of the team didn't vacation.. we had guys out duning in Dubai at the same time this past year. Heck I don't think EP lifted anything heavier than a bud light in his first few offseasons here.

They all toned down on the posting, but you can get a good feel for whos training via their instagrams. Kuz actually looked to work out too much. Looked more like a body builder than a hockey player to start the year.

Still, the management has to own it. They saw what the team was like before Kuz, there was heaps of warning signs about EP and the PP when Kuz ended up in the dog house. Even after the trade when the scoring fell off a cliff, there was ample time before the deadline to make another move. The list of players on this team with near zero, or actually zero goals since the invention of the wheel is comical.

Luckily they drew Nashville, but damn that was close. One less coat of paint on the posts, and this could have been a disaster. Thankfully Skinner looks like a beer leaguer too.

Ultimately, we upgraded our 3rd line, and PK, at the expense of the 2nd line and PP. Pick your poison. Bizarre this is even controversial. Then again, it's the same group that predicted a bubble team at best, and clamored to offload Miller + Hogs pre-season.
It's hard to believe anyone could watch Kuzmenko in Vancouver this season and believe he was a net positive on the team. Even in Calgary when he started scoring again he was basically neutral on wins and losses. He needs ultra high zone starts and soft competition. I think Vancouver is much more well equipped to win in the playoffs with Lindholm than Kuzmenko. I'm not even sure how anyone could debate it like you're doing.

That he wasn't in good shape really isn't debatable either. You think he worked out too much? Are you his 2nd cousin or something to deny reality like this?

Just imagine rolling out Kuzmenko against the McDavid or Draisaitl line. Letting them exploit him. It wouldn't be pretty.

Reactions: gianni

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
It's hard to believe anyone could watch Kuzmenko in Vancouver this season and believe he was a net positive on the team. Even in Calgary when he started scoring again he was basically neutral on wins and losses. He needs ultra high zone starts and soft competition. I think Vancouver is much more well equipped to win in the playoffs with Lindholm than Kuzmenko. I'm not even sure how anyone could debate it like you're doing.

That he wasn't in good shape really isn't debatable either. You think he worked out too much? Are you his 2nd cousin or something to deny reality like this?

Just imagine rolling out Kuzmenko against the McDavid or Draisaitl line. Letting them exploit him. It wouldn't be pretty.
Really missing the point. This isn't a Lindholm vs Kuz thing, they don't even play the same position, nor line.

Team should have both, or at least another winger. Unless you believe that just wasn't possible, then it's just noise.

And yea, Kuz absolutely overdid it in the weight room. Shoulders touching his ears, six packs on each individual six pack. Dude looked like the Terminator. Not ideal for hockey.

Last edited:

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Kuzmenko wasn’t working in Vancouver. They’re now in the 2nd Round of the playoffs with Lindholm being a major contributor.

Currently they’re very happy with the move. Who knows in 2 weeks. Obviously if they win a Cup, they win hands down. Doesn’t mean Calgary loses though.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Kuzmenko wasn’t working in Vancouver. They’re now in the 2nd Round of the playoffs with Lindholm being a major contributor.

Currently they’re very happy with the move. Who knows in 2 weeks. Obviously if they win a Cup, they win hands down. Doesn’t mean Calgary loses though.
Certainly couldn't complain about winning the cup.

If they get bounced at some point, on the backs of a poor PP, and no show 2nd line, then this will be hard to stomach. They aren't yet anywhere that shouldn't have been expected.

Calgary can of course make a good trade regardless of how happy Nucks are with it.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'm of the belief that Kuzmenko wasn't in shape and that perpetuated the issues Tocchet had with him. The Kuzmenko of 22/23 could have been good enough to be a elite offensive threat and play 200ft even if his checking was poor he was pretty good with puck management and him and Pettersson were caving teams 5v5

i think it was all about trust failure and him not willing to buy in.

After going with Hoglander and Mikhayev they don't have anyone able to think the game near the same as EP40 since and that's been a detriment and it's entirely likely one of the better free agent signings would be Kuzmenko 1 x 5.5 if that was a thing this summer

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Do you want to win or watch goals? You win with Lindholm, you get to watch goals with Kuzmenko. Since the Lindholm trade the Flames are a much worse team despite scoring the same amount of goals.
The only problem with this narrative is that the flames record didn’t start to degrade until tanev and hanifin were traded. The team was actually marginally better in the weeks after the lindholm trade record wise and came closest to a playoff spot without him.

At least in Calgary silk’s, I don’t this argument holds up. No question lindholm has found his game for the Canucks though. Not surprised it happened in the end.

Reactions: Nanuuk

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
If Lindholm proves to be a difference-maker in eliminating the Oilers, this goes from being a good deal for Flames fans to one of the greatest trades in franchise history!
I mean Conroy has to be smiling knowing that both ex flames are helping the nucks beat the the flames most hated rival.

From a nucks pov it's now gotten to a point that these two are are now at the top of the to do list for Alvin.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Turning into good trade. Didn't look like it in regular season but Lindholm having good playoff

Teams don't make deals like this for the regular season. The Canucks were already a first place team when they made the trade. Teams make deals like this for the post season hopeful the player can make an impact and help the team progress. He's done exactly that. Lindholm already has 5 goals and 7 points. He has been one of their better PKers. He and his line have also been one of the best 3rd lines in the playoffs.

This isn't "turning into a good trade". This is without question a successful trade for Vancouver. He's been an impact player in the playoffs and a big reason for their success so far. As far as late season/trade deadline moves goes, this has been one of the better trades we've seen in the NHL in recent years as far as return goes.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
What do we think he’s going to get this offseason? I don’t think he’s getting $8M from anyone, but he’s definitely reversed the trend of his stock lately. I’d love him on the Ducks as a RW that takes draws and kills penalties. I think I’d be willing to go to around 5 or 6 years at $6-6.5M. I could see a team that sees him as a 2C solution offer him closer to 7x$7M, though.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
What do we think he’s going to get this offseason? I don’t think he’s getting $8M from anyone, but he’s definitely reversed the trend of his stock lately. I’d love him on the Ducks as a RW that takes draws and kills penalties. I think I’d be willing to go to around 5 or 6 years at $6-6.5M. I could see a team that sees him as a 2C solution offer him closer to 7x$7M, though.
With his strong playoffs, his history of regular season success (aside from this past season), and the cap going up, someone will give him 7 - 7.5 on a long-term deal.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You're going to be paying 8M+ if you aren't a playoff team. 7M+ if you are for Lindholm and max term. No way on earth he signs for 6-6.5M for 5 or 6 years with a bottom 5 team in a high tax state. Lindholm would be the Ducks best player. He better be their highest paid one if you want a shot. 3rd line centers with no versatility like Henrique and Monahan went for a 1st. That should tell you how many teams need a C.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
There is no way a team is going to be going after him to play wing (nor do I think Lindholm does that)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad