Seravalli: Canes are going to be aggressive.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The Canes always disappoint in this way. It has been proven beyond doubt that Aho, Svechnikov and co, while good, are not the kind of guys you can rely on to carry the team to a potential Cup run. Good regular season team but no dice in the playoffs, they needed a big addition. It is a shame they wasted all those picks just to spite the Habs, could have proven crucial when spent wisely on a crucial addition.
Tampa fell short until they were ready. The Canes need the right collection of guys to go further, but I don’t assume a star player is necessary. Another shooter wouldn’t go amiss but there’s no reason the current team can’t win. They haven’t had great playoff goaltending the last couple of years, and that’s probably been the biggest factor on why they haven’t progressed. If the goalies are healthy this will be a different look for the Canes. Aho, Svech and Necas being one year older and experienced could be a difference maker as well. Burns could make a difference on the pp and now with Ghost we have two pp’s. Ghost is probably better at it than Burns he just doesn’t have the same shot.

Blaming the gm because he didn’t waste assets on short term guys is a waste of time with us. I’m glad we didn’t do that. Outside of Meier no one made sense.

Ps…..yeah just let the Koko thing go because pretty much none of us care about that. None of us think that was a wasted pick. Koko has been a very solid bottom six guy this year. He’s probably never gonna be the 2C but he’s clearly a part of this winning team. It isn’t too much to pay to get him and his contract isn’t hurting us. If Staal wasn’t Staal Koko would be a very good 3C for a winning team right now.

Last edited:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
The Canes always disappoint in this way. It has been proven beyond doubt that Aho, Svechnikov and co, while good, are not the kind of guys you can rely on to carry the team to a potential Cup run. Good regular season team but no dice in the playoffs, they needed a big addition. It is a shame they wasted all those picks just to spite the Habs, could have proven crucial when spent wisely on a crucial addition.

Wasted all those picks? A first and a third? Lack of assets certainly wasn’t what stopped them from making a big trade. They’re not into trading their first for rentals. They’re rumoured to have had a solid offer in for Meier. The sharks just liked NJ’s package better.

Also, aren’t you the guy who’s been saying for years they should trade Aho for futures? Hard to take anything you say about the team seriously.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Often the teams that are the most aggressive aren’t the big winners of the TDL. The key is to get a player or two who fills a hole and of course to add depth to cover for injuries. Carolina still looks like a top favourite to me.
I'm hoping. I still feel like we had a hole in our top 6, but a PPQB for the second unit was also a massive need and that one looks to have been filled.

Reactions: Tryamw

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
After missing the playoffs for a decade we are pretty happy just being in the playoffs to some extent as anything can happen once you’re there. That does qualify as winning. The cup is a random mix of luck, chemistry, hot goaltending and health. It’s rarely because you added a scoring winger. Dundon said himself he didn’t think anyone was available that really moved the needle for the team, that would make the difference between winning and losing. He said that in the same interview everyone is taking the “aggressive” statement from. All he said there was that we’re in a time we’re we will probably be more aggressive than not, though I suspect he meant overall and not just this deadline. People Love their narratives though. I listened to the whole interview when it came out and wasn’t expecting anything from this deadline other than maybe Meier. What happened wasn’t a surprise. Some Canes fans get worked up watching everyone else but the management has a clear pattern and they followed it. We primarily build in the summer.
I get the idea of building in the summer.
I think adding 3-4 guys at the deadline - pushing popular teammates out of the lineup - can be a recipe for disaster.

But key criticism here isn't the deadline - but the Canes perhaps not doing enough to get tougher/heavier for the playoffs.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I get the idea of building in the summer.
I think adding 3-4 guys at the deadline - pushing popular teammates out of the lineup - can be a recipe for disaster.

But key criticism here isn't the deadline - but the Canes perhaps not doing enough to get tougher/heavier for the playoffs.
I don’t disagree. I think it’s Rod. He’s really loyal to his vets and loves the guys he has that work for him. He wouldn’t want a Greenway for the playoffs. Not now anyways, maybe in the summer. He wants to roll with what we have.

We’re soft. We always are. That’s why getting Ghost was great, we need a more consistent power play so we can take advantage of getting taken advantage of.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Surprised there wasn't a deal between the Hurricanes & Canucks; looks like the Canes need wingers, which the Nucks have a surplus of. Maybe in the summer?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Surprised there wasn't a deal between the Hurricanes & Canucks; looks like the Canes need wingers, which the Nucks have a surplus of. Maybe in the summer?
Doesn’t seem to be a lot of interest in them/ not wanting to pay Vancouver prices. I don’t know if that will change in offseason. Boeser would be the only fit for goal scorer but he doesn’t match our system

Reactions: DaveG

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
7E80D75E-F0C0-4911-9452-32BBD856E914.jpeg

Per Seravelli podcast today.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
2022 cup and finalist deadline adds - Manson, Lehkonen, Cogliano, Sturm vs Hagel, Paul
2021 cup and finalist deadline adds - Savard vs Eric Staal, Eric Gustafsson (lol)
2020 cup and finalist deadline adds - Coleman, Goodrow vs literally nothing for Dallas
2019 cup and finalist deadline adds - nothing vs Marcus Johannson
2018 cup and finalist deadline adds - Michael Kempny, Jerabek (healthy scratch) vs Tomas Tatar (healthy scratch)

You pretty much have to go back to the Kings adding a washed Marian Gaborik in 2014 going on a playoff run of his life to eclipse what the Canes ended up getting this deadline. I guess Colorado does as well but its the same tier of supporting players

View attachment 664290

Per Seravelli podcast today.

Wonder what they offered for Meier. Unless they had Jarvis on the table its hard to see what beats Zetterlund, Mukhammadulin, 1st, another potential 1st and a should be alright regular in Okhotyuk altogether. Even Necas is too old for what SJ is doing and about to get paid bigly.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Morrow was the logical prospect centerpiece. A 1st was a given. One of the centers (Drury/Suzuki) too. After that, 3 other 2nd/3rd round pieces, be it actual picks and/or equivalent prospects.

I could see Seravalli looking at say Scott Wheeler’s Top 50, where Morrow is ranked and the New Jersey prospects aren’t, and coming up with an opinion with that basis.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Morrow was the logical prospect centerpiece. A 1st was a given. One of the centers (Drury/Suzuki) too. After that, 3 other 2nd/3rd round pieces, be it actual picks and/or equivalent prospects.

I could see Seravalli looking at say Scott Wheeler’s Top 50, where Morrow is ranked and the New Jersey prospects aren’t, and coming up with an opinion with that basis.
Yeah that makes sense, though I have Mukhammadulin comfortably higher than Morrow or at least a wash. Would rather have Zetterlund over Drury or Suzuki as well with what they've shown so far.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Doesn’t seem to be a lot of interest in them/ not wanting to pay Vancouver prices. I don’t know if that will change in offseason. Boeser would be the only fit for goal scorer but he doesn’t match our system
I'm surprised a team with a solid leadership structure wont consider Miller? all Canucks wanted was a young C in return. But then, given their misguided pursuit to hang with the real contenders, they probably want Jarvis instead or KK. Actually thinking deeper, I have no clue what they even want given what they stated post Hronek trade, why would they even trade Miller?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I'm surprised a team with a solid leadership structure wont consider Miller? all Canucks wanted was a young C in return. But then, given their misguided pursuit to hang with the real contenders, they probably want Jarvis instead or KK. Actually thinking deeper, I have no clue what they even want given what they stated post Hronek trade, why would they even trade Miller?
His locker room issues are only one part of the scenario. His contract is the other. We’re trying to be competitive the entire length of his contract. Miller isn’t likely to a positive asset the length of his. His contract is buy out proof and it isn’t able to move to a team eating bad contracts because of the amount real money at the end of his deal.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I dont expect everyone to know this, but his "lockerroom issues" are misreported. All he needs is a winning environment, and yes, he is a hothead not really suitable to be a leader. The latter part of his contract is indeed not ideal... I suspect you will get a good 4 years @.75 to .9 ppg out of the 7 year deal. But he will 100% impact the PP and scoring as a whole for those 4 years, these 4 years where you guys are solid contenders.... I'm not sure how confident you can stay in contender status for longer than a 4 year period, unlikely, but not impossible, I would place the onus on getting as good a shot to win the cup in these 4 years than worry about the remaining 3 from now though if I'm carolina. 4 years is a very healthy window

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

We talked about this on NJ's board today, it's subjective person to person who they want. Most people can say Morrow's better than Mukamadullin but if Grier likes Muk better then it sucks for Carolina. Ghost was a fantastic add though

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

It probably is a better offer, but the difference was likely the chance at a second first. Carolina probably didnt want to even potentially offer two firsts on top of the already big package and Grier was willing to downgrade to Mukh to get it.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It probably is a better offer, but the difference was likely the chance at a second first. Carolina probably didnt want to even potentially offer two firsts on top of the already big package and Grier was willing to downgrade to Mukh to get it.

A believable narrative in the context of Vegas and its limited prospect pool being the other finalist. You have to assume multiple 1sts were on the table there.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
A believable narrative in the context of Vegas and its limited prospect pool being the other finalist. You have to assume multiple 1sts were on the table there.

Some teams really love to draft their own players even if the picks are late. I do, however, still wonder if the Meier camp privately requested a trade to New Jersey. I feel as if there are numerous reasons why a player with a Swiss background would want to play the rest of his prime years with (basically) the Swiss All-Star team. I don't think that this is a coincidental or conspiratorial thought by any means.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad