Seravalli: Canes are going to be aggressive.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Carolina was already good but remain a dark horse at best to win the Cup.

It seems doubtful they will win anything with KK as their 2c:

They should have traded KK and/or a defenceman for more scoring or at least a more offensive 2C at the TDL.

Another season lost while the owner speaks aggressively that the Hurricanes want to be in a position to win every year but yet he doesn't provide the ammo.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019

They should have traded KK and/or a defenceman for more scoring or at least a more offensive 2C at the TDL.

Another season lost while the owner speaks aggressively that the Hurricanes want to be in a position to win every year but yet he doesn't provide the ammo.

Agreed.

The Hurricanes are like Canucks of 15 years ago. Always had a respectable, or even excellent team, but never made the moves to be championship material.

Given the moves others have made in their division, they are very likely to go home after the second round.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

There were no real top 6 C "available", unfortunately.

They could have gone for Schmaltz, pretty sure Arizona would have jumped on the opportunity to unload even more real salary for futures.

I think a scoring winger would have been great for them. Beside Svech, they have no finish.

Meier, Tarasenko, Anderson, Boeser, Bertuzzi, Nino, JVR... There were quite a few options.

Pulju is not a finisher... He's a project for sure, not exactly THE piece ypu had when you want to contend.

Laine would have been perfect.

Reactions: jmelm and DaveG

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

They could have gone for Schmaltz, pretty sure Arizona would have jumped on the opportunity to unload even more real salary for futures.

I think a scoring winger would have been great for them. Beside Svech, they have no finish.

Meier, Tarasenko, Anderson, Boeser, Bertuzzi, Nino, JVR... There were quite a few options.

Pulju is not a finisher... He's a project for sure, not exactly THE piece ypu had when you want to contend.

Reilly conveniently omitted

Reactions: Holls Blackmail

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

I think that's why I was so annoyed when there was no retention on Ghost. It completely precluded any attempt to go out and get a Boeser or a Lindholm to add to the top 6.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

JT Miller was. A trade involving Miller for KK+ futures would have worked.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019

The Canes has about 2-3 players that can reliably put the puck in the net. The Rangers have at least 5, that's not counting anyone on the kid line. Then they also have a Vezina level goaltender.

You guys are going to be creamed, and the plastered around the boards around the rink of MSG.

HydratedByStormBrew

Sep 26, 2022
Rally, NC
The Canes has about 2-3 players that can reliably put the puck in the net. The Rangers have at least 5, that's not counting anyone on the kid line. Then they also have a Vezina level goaltender.

You guys are going to be creamed, and the plastered around the boards around the rink of MSG.
Guess I’ll cancel my plans in May.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Zibanejad is their only lethal scorer with consistency. Canes have Svech who can easily do that as well, not sure why the Canes are being dogged right now and that's coming from a fan/fanbase who's seen them troll us in the playoffs multiple times in the past 20 years.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Is this a joke? Not a good one at that.

The Rangers are going to cream you guys, if you meet in the first two rounds.

It's not, Poolparty fits Carolina like a glove with his possession game and Ghost is a perfect PP2QB and if Burns falters like say DeAngelo did last spring then they have an adequate replacement. You can call the Canes moves underwhelming for who were they originally named to go after in guys like Timo, Miller, Boeser, etc but those guys are pretty good fits for what the Hurricanes do. They get anything from Andersen, Aho + Svech and they're waltzing to the ECF.

Reactions: G Backup

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
JT Miller was. A trade involving Miller for KK+ futures would have worked.
Don't think Miller was really ever available. Boeser? Sure.

Canucks wanted a "retool". Without Miller, have no good C in the system after Petterson. You can't really recover from that.

Nothing against KK, but to me his upside is really a 3 C. A good one if he starts winning draws. But if he's your #2 C, that ain't great.

Don't think Vancouver wanted KK as the center of a Miller trade if they are serious about becoming competitive soon.

Reactions: gianni

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Zibanejad is their only lethal scorer with consistency. Canes have Svech who can easily do that as well, not sure why the Canes are being dogged right now and that's coming from a fan/fanbase who's seen them troll us in the playoffs multiple times in the past 20 years.

Kane, Tarasenko, Kreider, Panarin can all finish pretty well. Pretty lethal top 6 if you ask me.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Kane, Tarasenko, Kreider, Panarin can all finish pretty well. Pretty lethal top 6 if you ask me.

Kane/Panarin are pass first guys, I'll give you Kreider since he's been an elite finisher now for 2 years and Tarasenko I'm super iffy on. I think Tarasenko is a good finisher but I'm not sure he'll be able to handle a fast past series against Carolina but we'll see.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Don't think Miller was really ever available. Boeser? Sure.

Canucks wanted a "retool". Without Miller, have no good C in the system after Petterson. You can't really recover from that.

Nothing against KK, but to me his upside is really a 3 C. A good one if he starts winning draws. But if he's your #2 C, that ain't great.

Don't think Vancouver wanted KK as the center of a Miller trade if they are serious about becoming competitive soon.
Canucks were taking calls on Miller and apparently the Pittsburgh deal didn’t work because they couldn’t get a young centre back. Which is why any trade would have likely involved KK as a piece.

I think KK would be a #2C only for a short period of time (one season or so) as we likely will draft one as soon as this upcoming draft.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
1677969262764.png

PastaBaked

May 8, 2021
Carolina should have pushed a few more chips in. They play a style suited to the post-season and I have them down as the Bruins most difficult match up in the East.

The Bruins record setting season has taken away from the great job the Canes have done this season, you can't just assume that the next few years will be easier (Bruins keep re-loading on the go, Sens, Toronto and the Devils are likely good next year). This was the year to roll the dice (esp with the representatives from the West unlikely to be overwhelmigly good).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad