Rumor: Canadiens interested in offer sheeting Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I've always felt like he's not risk averse lke 90% of the GMs in the NHL, but now he's getting to the point where he's being ruthless and it's hilarious

I don't even know if its ruthless as much as chaotic. Some of his recent major moves have been great, some haven't, almost all have been aggressive and unpredictable.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yeah I'm sure most teams are thrilled to let their young up and coming stars sign contracts straight to UFA with all the money up front.

If these contracts are so good why not just give it to them to begin with?

Calling their bluff. Also, it actually increases their trade value later on if they want to trade them. Aho’s cap hit will be a lot more than actually money the new team has to pay.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Carolina was perfectly capable of giving him that contract too. It's not like Aho had no choice, he could have rejected the contract. I don't understand this talk about him having helped them out when there was literally nothing stopping them from giving Aho exactly that contract.

Plus, while the AAV is great, the contract sucks. All the money up front and straight to UFA. Not sure why any team would be happy with that, it sucks.

I hate Bergevin by the way, I think he's a ****ing moron.
Perhaps he secretly works for the player's union. The contract was not horrible but certainly didn't have anything going the GM's way. Aho is pleased.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
If Jets get him on an Aho deal I'm listening

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Carolina was perfectly capable of giving him that contract too. It's not like Aho had no choice, he could have rejected the contract. I don't understand this talk about him having helped them out when there was literally nothing stopping them from giving Aho exactly that contract.

Canes were preparing to deal with a negotiation

Aho wanted it over

that's the difference. Could we have come to something close? Of course, the money probably would have been dead on at about $8.5m anyway, but we wanted more years and he wanted 5. So the OS did everyone a favor in just ending what would have become the stalemate before it even got to that point. In that regard, even though we didn't get exactly what we wanted, it still did us a favor by ending it now.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Also idk why you can't offersheet another player while the picks from the other OS are 'froze'? Why wouldn't they just 'roll over' to the next year(s) until whatever happens with the prior Offer Sheet?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Was well publicized that GMs with pending RFAs approached Waddell asking him to wait the full 7 days.

Doesn't really do much if the players decide to wait a few days for more leverage.

It's not like they have no choice here, they have to choose to sign whatever contract they sign. A few days of extra negotiating does nothing if it means you end up caving to the player and giving them more than you wanted to just to avoid a potential offer sheet.

Reactions: habsfan891

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I feel like some people here don't comprehend how much a billion dollars is, like 21 million means anything. It's the equivalent of me having $1,000 and giving you a 20.
I feel that you don't understand the context of me replying to a Carolina poster remarking about couch cushions. Relax

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
It doesn't work that way, they can't offer sheet both of them. They will have to wait until the Canes match or not before signing another player to an offer sheet with those picks.
They would owe a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd for Aho and if they offered Laine over 10.5 they would owe four 1sts in a row which can start in 2021 if they don't have their 1st in 2020 (which would go for Aho). So could they not offer sheet and acquire both at the same time in that case?

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
I feel like some people here don't comprehend how much a billion dollars is, like 21 million means anything. It's the equivalent of me having $1,000 and giving you a 20.
and it's not even a $21 million signing bonus. it's a $11.3m signing bonus this year and a $9.87m signing bonus next year. lol @ anyone who thinks a billionaire has trouble paying that, or that it's going to wreck the team's finances when aho's base salary is only 700k in both years.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That is factually correct but it's just legal CBA mumble jumble until Canes pull the trigger. Right now Aho is a Hab. In my mind.
I don't actually believe that is correct. I believe, according to the CBA, he's still a Hurricane until the deadline passes without a match, at which point it moves over.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Laine was always the better one to chase --- if you actually want a chance at landing the player, anyway. But of course you're taking on some risk too. Laine isn't as safe as Aho. But just to be sure they probably ought to take it just a notch higher on a Laine offer sheet. Would the Jets match 5x$10M? :dunno:

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
They would owe a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd for Aho and if they offered Laine over 10.5 they would owe four 1sts in a row which can start in 2021 if they don't have their 1st in 2020 (which would go for Aho). So could they not offer sheet and acquire both at the same time in that case?
Yea that would work actually, i forgot that Aho was just below the cutoff for 2 firsts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad