Speculation: Canadiens actively shopping 4 players

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
That's seems most likely...

Not sure Hughes moves him in a 1:1 deal in either of those cases (3rd with full retention or 4/5th without). They seem to value his off-ice contribution highly and I don't think they'll want to tie up another retention spot next year (Petry already on the books).

I think more likely is that he moves as part of a package deal, or without retention for a skater on a similar or perhaps a bit more expensive contract next year that is serviceable and addresses a Habs roster need from a team with a G need...

Hathaway from Philly
Tanev from Seattle
Fast from Carolina
Johansen from Colorado
Greenway from Buffalo

1:1 perhaps with a small + from either side on one of those players from teams likely looking to improve their G tandem for next season makes the most sense imo
**** no on that one from Montreal and I think the rest of the teams decline for Allen

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I didn't, and I don't disagree I just don't think the pieces you've suggested line up. Especially HARD no to Johansen without a sweetener coming back in any case, he is a bum.
So you didn't read the post them :dunno:
1:1 perhaps with a small + from either side on one of those players from teams likely looking to improve their G tandem for next season makes the most sense imo

I wasn't making proposals... Just suggesting what type of player/team fits the scenario I described.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Not sure Hughes moves him in a 1:1 deal in either of those cases (3rd with full retention or 4/5th without). They seem to value his off-ice contribution highly and I don't think they'll want to tie up another retention spot next year (Petry already on the books).

I think more likely is that he moves as part of a package deal, or without retention for a skater on a similar or perhaps a bit more expensive contract next year that is serviceable and addresses a Habs roster need from a team with a G need...

Hathaway from Philly
Tanev from Seattle
Fast from Carolina
Johansen from Colorado
Greenway from Buffalo

Buffalo has no interest in Allen

Greenway is younger and worth significantly more than the others you have listed

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Hathaway from Philly
Tanev from Seattle
Fast from Carolina
Johansen from Colorado
Greenway from Buffalo

Tanev is a God in Seattle. I sincerely doubt he's in any way available.
Carolina seems relatively satisfied with what they've got. I can't see them being willing to move Fast for a guy that wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade on what they've got.
Colorado's center depth is already shit, that's why they signed Johansen in the first place.
Greenway is a reasonable target, but I don't know why Buffalo would target Allen. I have to think they go into next year with Levi and UPL.

All in all, if you want a roster player back, I think Hathaway is your best option - but I dont know if Philly would want a body back. If they're selling, they're going to want picks.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Tanev is a God in Seattle. I sincerely doubt he's in any way available.
Carolina seems relatively satisfied with what they've got. I can't see them being willing to move Fast for a guy that wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade on what they've got.
Colorado's center depth is already shit, that's why they signed Johansen in the first place.
Greenway is a reasonable target, but I don't know why Buffalo would target Allen. I have to think they go into next year with Levi and UPL.

All in all, if you want a roster player back, I think Hathaway is your best option - but I dont know if Philly would want a body back. If they're selling, they're going to want picks.

I don't want anything. Just explaining the type of scenario that seems likely for Allen to be moved.

There's no indication from the Habs that they want to move him. He's been a very good 1B and mentor to Montembeault, who has been coming into his own as a very good 1A this year... Hughes may well prefer to keep the duo in place another year.

If he gets moved, I'm suggesting that it's not likely to be for the 4/5th pick he might return w/o retention, nor for the 3rd that he might get with retention. Of course, if some team offers even more, that changes things.

None of the players I listed are of any particular interest to MTL. The only common thread is that they have a similar contract to Allen & are stop-gap bottom 6 vets. Habs are likely to add a player of that nature in the offseason, be it via trade or UFA... Hence why Im suggesting that this type of deal could make sense.

Hope that clarifies it.

And I'm saying that none of the suggestions you made make sense because the teams like those players way more than a backup goalie.
Thank you for the insight GM of several teams... :facepalm:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Allen is a proven playoff failure though,

St Louis traded him because he couldn't cut it in the playoffs
Um not so sure about that. Blues shed 4.35M in cap in the trade, and had binnington as the clear #1. IIRC they weren't thrilled about losing him, just couldn't justify that cap hit for their back-up.

But anyways, the point was simply that come playoff time, if you don't have a clear cut #1A goalie, a quality back up is an important asset

I don't recall a post season where so many contenders (oilers, leafs, avalanche) & playoff hopefuls (Canes, flyers, Kracken, Kings, Devils) are dealing with brutally shaky goaltending. Allen would be a net upgrade to the G depth of all those situations... Which isn't to say that I'd want to have my playoff/cup hopes riding on him or the incumbents in any of those situations.

Knights/Hill just showed that getting hot at the right time + "good enough" goaltending behind a well built roster can get you a cup

Reactions: loadie

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Um not so sure about that. Blues shed 4.35M in cap in the trade, and had binnington as the clear #1. IIRC they weren't thrilled about losing him, just couldn't justify that cap hit for their back-up.

But anyways, the point was simply that come playoff time, if you don't have a clear cut #1A goalie, a quality back up is an important asset

I don't recall a post season where so many contenders (oilers, leafs, avalanche) & playoff hopefuls (Canes, flyers, Kracken, Kings, Devils) are dealing with brutally shaky goaltending. Allen would be a net upgrade to the G depth of all those situations... Which isn't to say that I'd want to have my playoff/cup hopes riding on him or the incumbents in any of those situations.

Knights/Hill just showed that getting hot at the right time + "good enough" goaltending behind a well built roster can get you a cup
The dude sank the Blues to last in the league the same year the team won the stanley cup. It wasn't the coaching either, he was still giving away games under Berube and the turnaround didn't happen until he was basically out of the net. There was some fluff in the playoffs about his role, but those were mostly to try and not embarrass the guy who had been with the organization for a while. Allen was an obvious piece to move and is not a starting caliber goaltender, even as a 1B.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I don't want anything. Just explaining the type of scenario that seems likely for Allen to be moved.
It's very hard on here to talk about a "type of" deal - fans of the other team in any example will have hyper-focus on the players suggested from their team, and few posters are actually knowledgeable enough to see common points among the multiple proposals you might have made.

(no pretense here of being able to know the value of all the suggested players, but I could see your general point about the type of deal)

Reactions: Miller Time

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Allen has put up some great performances and some stinkers. The Habs have probably the bottom 5 defence and it seems that if things go bad, they go really bad.

How he will do in front of a high caliber defense will be interesting.

Reactions: Miller Time

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Won’t be shocked if nobody wants to pay for these guys and they end up not being traded tbh

Kevzzz

Nov 21, 2023
MTL

- Arturs Silovs
- 3 rounds pick

VAN

- S. Monahan

Van could use a 2-3C as for montreal they need a futur good goaltender.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
MTL

- Arturs Silovs
- 3 rounds pick

VAN

- S. Monahan

Van could use a 2-3C as for montreal they need a futur good goaltender.
Habs do not need G prospect. Dobes is just slightly worse than Silovs and they just drafted 3Gs with Fowler and Volokhin looking very good.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad