Prospect Info: Canadiens 2016 Rookie Tournament Thread (Sept 16th to 18th)

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
Hudon will definitely need more strenght and speed, but he ll also need to find his Michael Ryder, that ll give him a spot, maybe Carr?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
wich would be stupid to think. 5'10 Hudon will not start playing physical ala Shea Weber or Emelin cause that's what the team need you know...

but hey, at least it's not about being passed by younger prospects anymore, like you said earlier.

Mike Brown... useless lightweight goon Mike Brown played over Charles Hudon. Even when Habs were officially eliminated...

and whats the excuse if Lekhnon makes it before him? Or if Scherback does? Paul Byron isn't a big guy but he adapted and brought something to the table. This isn't a 1 to 1 comparison but the player has to force the org hand when they are competing for 1 spot against 5 or 6 other players.

If Hudon (or his fans) attitude is to wait for the org to give him a 20 + games in the top 6 as a try out thats the wrong attitude. HE should be willing to do whatever it takes to play regularly in the NHL and when he does get the chance to be better than all the other young players on the team. Its not MB/MT or anyone else fault in the org if guys like Lekhnone/Ghetto/Carr/Mac/Scherback/JDLR/Dano take advantage of their oppurtunites better than Hudon does, thats on Hudon.

And I am not against Hudon. I think he has done well in the AHL and can translate his skills to the NHL. Its just he isn't there now and other players in the organization are challenging him for his spot. Thats all I mean. IMHO guys like Mac/Lekhonen/Scherback/Ghetto/Carr are more on the radar off habs brass than Hudon. And notice these are all young players so its not an issue of the team not giving chances to young players, its that some young players are doing more with what they are given then Hudon.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
and whats the excuse if Lekhnon makes it before him? Or if Scherback does? Paul Byron isn't a big guy but he adapted and brought something to the table. This isn't a 1 to 1 comparison but the player has to force the org hand when they are competing for 1 spot against 5 or 6 other players.

If Hudon (or his fans) attitude is to wait for the org to give him a 20 + games in the top 6 as a try out thats the wrong attitude. HE should be willing to do whatever it takes to play regularly in the NHL and when he does get the chance to be better than all the other young players on the team. Its not MB/MT or anyone else fault in the org if guys like Lekhnone/Ghetto/Carr/Mac/Scherback/JDLR/Dano take advantage of their oppurtunites better than Hudon does, thats on Hudon.

And I am not against Hudon. I think he has done well in the AHL and can translate his skills to the NHL. Its just he isn't there now and other players in the organization are challenging him for his spot. Thats all I mean. IMHO guys like Mac/Lekhonen/Scherback/Ghetto/Carr are more on the radar off habs brass than Hudon. And notice these are all young players so its not an issue of the team not giving chances to young players, its that some young players are doing more with what they are given then Hudon.

have no clue what you're talking about, has nothing to do with what I've posted.

and who are Hudon fans ? can you name one ?

and Dano is a prospect for the Winnipeg Jets...

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Its not MB/MT or anyone else fault in the org if guys like Lekhnone/Ghetto/Carr/Mac/Scherback/JDLR/Dano take advantage of their oppurtunites better than Hudon does, thats on Hudon.

How are any of these guys taking advantage of their opportunities better than Hudon? The only opportunity he had was AHL time where he was pretty much the best player from day 1 and 3 little NHL games where he put up 2 pts.

Siekensou

Jul 13, 2016

What the hell are you talking about. Hudon had the chance to play 2 games last year. Is that the opportunity you are talking about? What did Andrighetto or Delarose do to deserve more opportunities playing on the Habs roster? They both had worse numbers than Hudon in the AHL. Delarose is a black hole offensively, but he got a lot of opportunities on the 3rd line, during a time when the Habs desperately needed a goal scorer. Do you seriously think Delarose was a better option to get a chance to play on the 3rd line than Hudon?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
How are any of these guys taking advantage of their opportunities better than Hudon? The only opportunity he had was AHL time where he was pretty much the best player from day 1 and 3 little NHL games where he put up 2 pts.

I mean this upcoming year. If Lekonen makes the team this year or same for the other players. I think the players I listed have more of a chance to make the team than Hudon.

Again its not a knock on Hudon, it shows the strength of our prospect pool that a guy who can do really well in the AHL is like our 5th or 6th prospect.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
What the hell are you talking about. Hudon had the chance to play 2 games last year. Is that the opportunity you are talking about? What did Andrighetto or Delarose do to deserve more opportunities playing on the Habs roster? They both had worse numbers than Hudon in the AHL. Delarose is a black hole offensively, but he got a lot of opportunities on the 3rd line, during a time when the Habs desperately needed a goal scorer. Do you seriously think Delarose was a better option to get a chance to play on the 3rd line than Hudon?

I think those other players did more of what the coach wanted and adapted to the teams needs and showed that they have more of an NHL game than Hudon. Why did Hudon not get more than 2 games? Because he isn't french enough ? Because MT doesn't play young players? Or maybe when he plays he isn't doing a better job for what the team needs then the other players he is competing against.

This shows the strength of our prospect pool that Hudon is lower on depth chart. Also means Hudon has to do something to stand out. But whatever if you want to find a bogeyman like we don't play young players or any other excuse be my guest. I prefer to believe that Hudons competition is beating him out at this time.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
have no clue what you're talking about, has nothing to do with what I've posted.

and who are Hudon fans ? can you name one ?

and Dano is a prospect for the Winnipeg Jets...

all I am saying is that Hudon's competition, which is other young players are doing better than him when being called up to the NHL. I don't see that as being hard to admit especially since those young players get more NHL playing time. Doesn't mean Hudon is bad, just means there are lots of good young prospects fighting on this team.

Dano=Danneault, the guy who is supposed to replace Lars Eller :sarcasm::sarcasm:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
John Scott must be right in the mix with our best prospects because he played the same amount of games as Hudon after Feb...

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Organization is always right. Hudon should have gotten 3 points in 3 games on the 4th line. 2 in 3 games just doesnt cut it. We need room for Flynn.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
all I am saying is that Hudon's competition, which is other young players are doing better than him when being called up to the NHL. I don't see that as being hard to admit especially since those young players get more NHL playing time. Doesn't mean Hudon is bad, just means there are lots of good young prospects fighting on this team.

Dano=Danneault, the guy who is supposed to replace Lars Eller :sarcasm::sarcasm:

Danault*

A coach would be dumb to play an offensive minded player instead of a defensive player on a defensive line, don't you agree? So, if you think MT is a good coach, he would logically put players who are better defensively on a defensive line, right? Which means JDLR and McCarron are a logical choice over Hudon on a defensive line, yes?

The only player who has a real chance to jump Hudon in the eye of some fans is Lehkonen, while many fans consider him already ahead due to draft position/achievements.

Also, on a offensive point of view, Hudon has the best ppg vs JDLR and McCarron (actually, Hudon had more point than JDLR got in 22 games and tied McCarron who played 20 games in only 3 games while having less TOI) so even your assumption that other did better is flawed. Hudon just didn't fit what the 2015-2016 Habs needed in MT/MB opinion, but is one of the main competitor for the 2 open middle 6 LW spot this year with Ghetto/Carr/Lehkonen.

As of Scherbak, he's of no relevance to Hudon as he plays RW not LW.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Hudon's lower body strength and lack of speed are the big concerns. It will come down to IQ/smarts and skill vs lack of strength/speed.
There are alternatives to Hudon, aren't there? Let's see who looks good in the training camp. If no one else looks better, then start Hudon. October 8 isn't far off.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
How about
Pacs-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Shaw-Plekanec-Gallagher
Lehkonen-McCarron-Scerback

get25

Oct 17, 2015

You mean Danault... Not Dano! :laugh:

get25

Oct 17, 2015
How about
Pacs-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Shaw-Plekanec-Gallagher
Lehkonen-McCarron-Scerback
I like this but Radulov will probably be on the second line.
Putting all your offense on one line can work in PP but 5-5 is should be:

Patches- Galchenyuk - Gallagher
XXX - Plekanec - Radulov

Where XXX is either Lehkonen or Shaw

Scherback will not play before mid season, he is pretty good but needs more time in AHL to be ready.

So third line could be:
Shaw/Lehkonen - McCaron - Scherback

But again, McCaron needs more time in AHL (I think)
So you need to put DD there:
Shaw/Lehkonen - DD - Scherback
Again Scherback needs more time:

Shaw/Lehkonen - DD - Carr/Ghetto

When McCaron will be ready to take third line duties, he will be in our team.
He can play top-6 in AHL and play third line with us.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
My guess about the way the org is dealing with Hudon is that it's about physical development.

Not all players are developing the same way. And there's a big difference between being at 180 lbs while the body is still maturing, vs being 180 lbs in a full grown body. The full grown body will always have better balance, strength and stamina.

That's what they're waiting for Hudon, I think. No matter the weight he will have in the end, they're waiting for him to be at full physical development. He still looks like a kid out there.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I can't wait for the battle between the likes of Hudon, Lehkonen, Carr, and Ghetto for those open middle-6 positions. Its going to be really interesting to see who comes out on top.

On another note, I don't think this is necessarily a make or break year for Hudon. Even if he doesn't make the team, he's not eligible for waivers until next year. At that point, one of Carr or Ghetto may very well be picked up by Las Vegas and DD will be UFA (and hopefully not resigned) so there could very well be 2 open middle 6 positions again next year with Hudon still in the hunt.

Bergevillain

Aug 1, 2014
London, ON
I can't wait for the battle between the likes of Hudon, Lehkonen, Carr, and Ghetto for those open middle-6 positions. Its going to be really interesting to see who comes out on top.

On another note, I don't think this is necessarily a make or break year for Hudon. Even if he doesn't make the team, he's not eligible for waivers until next year. At that point, one of Carr or Ghetto may very well be picked up by Las Vegas and DD will be UFA (and hopefully not resigned) so there could very well be 2 open middle 6 positions again next year with Hudon still in the hunt.

Don't be surprised to see McCarron getting looks in a 3rd line role. He's shown he has mitts so with some creative wingers he could be impressive.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Danault*

A coach would be dumb to play an offensive minded player instead of a defensive player on a defensive line, don't you agree? So, if you think MT is a good coach, he would logically put players who are better defensively on a defensive line, right? Which means JDLR and McCarron are a logical choice over Hudon on a defensive line, yes?

The only player who has a real chance to jump Hudon in the eye of some fans is Lehkonen, while many fans consider him already ahead due to draft position/achievements.

Also, on a offensive point of view, Hudon has the best ppg vs JDLR and McCarron (actually, Hudon had more point than JDLR got in 22 games and tied McCarron who played 20 games in only 3 games while having less TOI) so even your assumption that other did better is flawed. Hudon just didn't fit what the 2015-2016 Habs needed in MT/MB opinion, but is one of the main competitor for the 2 open middle 6 LW spot this year with Ghetto/Carr/Lehkonen.

As of Scherbak, he's of no relevance to Hudon as he plays RW not LW.

The only thing I will say is that a young player who is trying to break into the league should do whatever they can to adapt to team needs. If a guy like Byron can break into the leauge by playing 3rd/4th line and PK with his speed and smarts then other young players have to force an organization (any team) hand to play them above other young players. Its up to Hudon to stand out and bring more to the table then JDLR or Mac or any other young player because the competition is fierce to make the NHL. For Hudon its the difference between earning 50 K and 500K.

Hudon isn't bad, all I Am saying is other prospects have made themselves more interesting to the team at this time then Hudon has. This can change but for now Hudon has lots of work to jump over other players. And if he doesn't have the same physical tools as others then he has to do something to make up for that not sit around waiting to be handed a spot in the top 6 for 30 games.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Really? I found him pretty strong on the puck and in the corners in the highlights I've seen and in his short stint up here!

Concern as in needed to be seen in this pro environment, on a small ice surface, on a 82-game calendar. Not saying he's nto going to do it, I had no expectations of him, which is great, he could only surprise me to this point...and he actually already does. He does have the skills and IQ to do it. But we still need to wait how he adapts to this ice surface. Loved it when he said that he loved the ice surface...that's great to hear.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
There are alternatives to Hudon, aren't there? Let's see who looks good in the training camp. If no one else looks better, then start Hudon. October 8 isn't far off.

I have no doubt he's going to get NHL games in this year, just might not be on the opening night roster because he doesn't need waivers and others do. There aren't many bigger Hudon fans around here then me. Can't wait to see what he does in the NHL in a full season.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Hudon has done absolutely nothing to impress me. I watch him and say to myself...he's a good AHL player. I hope he changes my opinion on him this preseason.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Don't be surprised to see McCarron getting looks in a 3rd line role. He's shown he has mitts so with some creative wingers he could be impressive.

Agreed, and his size would certainly give that line a much needed dimension considering it seems destined to be centred by DD with a small/midsized player on the left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad