Prospect Info: Canadiens 2016 Rookie Tournament Thread (Sept 16th to 18th)

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
How's Lehkonen look in yesterday's game?!

Just okay yesterday. Nothing great. He had a few moments where he almost created something, but couldn't complete the play. He battles on the boards and loves to be below the goal line. You can see the promise there, but he didn't get an opportunity to unleash that snapper or show off his skill.

He had a couple very nice little passes to set up guys in tight, but he was perhaps showing some effects of three games in 2.5 days.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
From the sounds of it, the important information that can be gleaned from this tournament is that Juulsen and Addison are progressing nicely, and Mete is very skilled for where he was picked.

I still like the 2015 draft. I think we're gonna see a lot of late round gems from that one.

I would echo that. I thought Addison was very involved in the play and certainly has the tools to play at a higher level. Henrikson looked better than I expected. He wasn't shy about trying to play the body. He was in position all day. Needs to work on puck skills a bit but has the confidence and size. He is better than what I'd expect from a late rounder.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Just okay yesterday. Nothing great. He had a few moments where he almost created something, but couldn't complete the play. He battles on the boards and loves to be below the goal line. You can see the promise there, but he didn't get an opportunity to unleash that snapper or show off his skill.

He had a couple very nice little passes to set up guys in tight, but he was perhaps showing some effects of three games in 2.5 days.

Does you think the condensed schedule had an effect on a lot of players? It can't be easy playing 3 games over 3 days. I didn't see the last game but we're the players noticibly tired?

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
-Juulsen: solid performance. I dont see him much but he's better than I thought
-Sergachev: Not more to add that what we already know. He'll be a top 2 for sure.
-Lehkonen: Fast play maker, crashes the net, he brings energy to this linemates.
-McCarron: Took a period off during T.O. but other than that, strong on the puck.
-Scherbak: Capable of the best and the worst. Risky plays but crazy good hands
-Bitten: Another Gallagher type player. Can't believe we got him in the 3rd round
-Mete: None faster than him. Cant believe we got him in the 4th round
-Lindgren: best goalie in the tourney imo. Stood on his head vs mini-Pens

Was really suprised by our 2 latest 7th round picks in Addison and Henrikson. Dont think they'll be elite players but I could see them both in the NHL one day.

There rest were okay or bad but I didnt really have any expectations from the rest of the bunch aside perhaps Fucale who did well overall but let in 2 softies, especially the winning goal.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Does you think the condensed schedule had an effect on a lot of players? It can't be easy playing 3 games over 3 days. I didn't see the last game but we're the players noticibly tired?

I thought so, yes. I thought they came out with a lot of jump and looked good for the first 10-15 minutes but then were going on fumes the rest of the way. That many games that close together early in camp is a tall order for some of them - especially with nothing on the line.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I'm hoping Sergachev gets a long look at training camp. He looked so good this weekend that I wouldn't be entirely shocked if he made the team.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Lehkonen will probably be the type of player that will thrive more with NHL'ers.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I thought so, yes. I thought they came out with a lot of jump and looked good for the first 10-15 minutes but then were going on fumes the rest of the way. That many games that close together early in camp is a tall order for some of them - especially with nothing on the line.

I think in a way it's a good test. See what type of conditioning these guys have. Wins and losses don't matter so put them through the ringer. Give the habs a chance to see which players have that extra gear to power through being tired or maybe banged up.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Lehkonen will probably be the type of player that will thrive more with NHL'ers.

I thought that yesterday watching him. He made a number of quick, witty little plays that his teammates couldn't do much with. As I watched him, I was thinking a Gallagher or Pacioretty would have done something with those plays.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Right now, whatever that is worth, that 2016 draft look like an awesome one. As scheduled though not only Sergachev but Bitten and Mete looked awesome. I even like Henrikson who seems to have a whole lot of untapped potential. 2014 will be weaker, but 2015 look fine and 2016 look awesome so far. But in every one of those drafts, there are guys out there who still could go either way. Can't wait to see where Jake Evans game is at. Same with Hawkey who we don't talk about. Addision looks like the best 7th rounder we've had since Sergei Kostitsyn.

I remember people saying the exact same thing about Evans last year. I like our late round picks under MB so far

Henrikson's pretty damn mobile for a big boy. Definitely intriguing pick

I'm intrigued by Addison...doesn't have an outstanding attribute, but he seems to do everything well and finds a way to get noticed.

Someone to keep an eye on that's for sure

I think his speed and hustle are pretty outstanding. He's also very physical.

It's really just lack of finish from what I can tell is what's hampering him. Hopefully next to Logan Brown he'll get plenty of opportunities to work on that.

Icemann

Nov 2, 2008
Even after trading our second rounders away, coming out of the draft with Sergachev/Bitten/Mete was awesome.

Was very impressed with Mete, should be interesting to see him once he gains a bit more muscle.. plus it'll be nice to see him hopefully get a bigger role with the Knights this year.

I think Mete was no 1 D in LON last year. I cant see any reason why something shoud change. So I expect him no 1 D again.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Olli Juolevi was London #1 defenceman.

I saw London A LOT last year and admittedly couldn't say definitively who they considered the #1 D, so it's probably moot. But from what I saw in terms of ice time and situational use, I don't think anyone got more (or tougher) minutes than Mete.

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
Mete is a winner. He quietly does his job. I've seen a ton of him in the OHL and we know his strengths: skating, great stick on D, calm, efficient puck movement and we know his weaknesses: size and a tendency to get caught up ice. What I wanted to see was how he did against pro prospects in this tourney and he was good.

He doesn't get intimidated and was often first into the corner. He really needs to improve his shot, but his IQ and skating are easily strong enough to be on NHL radar in 2-3 years.

In the Brian Campbell style of D-man???

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Completely dirty hit, hopefully Sergachev is okay. Did the habs bring in any goons for this tournament?

Vincent Dunn has made a career out of dirty hits and suspensions.

I remember him in Val D'or a few years back. The GM wanted him out. The coach wanted him out. The fans wanted him out. Even worse, his teammates wanted him out.

Management basically tried to give him away, then out of the blue and unbelievably, Gatineau offers them something like two first round picks for this idiot. I guess GM and coach Benoit Groulx thought he could control him. Not even close. I think he was suspended 8 or 9 times that year and quickly traded after the year. The next year, right before the playoffs, his new team sent him home.

...and this guy is still a Sens' prospect and trying to hurt people during a rookie showcase. Shame on him and the Sens for letting him out there.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I thought that yesterday watching him. He made a number of quick, witty little plays that his teammates couldn't do much with. As I watched him, I was thinking a Gallagher or Pacioretty would have done something with those plays.

That's his game, in a nut shell. He's not the most spectacular player out there, but he is very smart. So smart, in fact, that lower level players might not get the point of what he's doing. I remember watching Forsberg in his draft year (when he had 0 points for most of the season in the Allsvenskan), and that was the impression I came away with, although Forsberg is more skilled/physically impressive.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Lehkonen looked faster and more skilled than I thought he would which is nice.

Very interesting to see how he does at main camp/preseason

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Olli Juolevi was London #1 defenceman.

With all due respect to Juovelli who will be a decent defenseman for the canucks im sure, but he went that high because of his frame as well, along with offensive and defensive smarts

if Mete was 6"3, he probably goes top 10 also.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
In the Brian Campbell style of D-man???

There is some Campbell in him, but he's not the point shot threat that Campbell could be. He's more the disher who uses his feet both north/south and east/west to create space. He's more likely to dart into the slot to create room than to walk the line. He's one of the best at thinking on his feet.

Strictly in terms of his motion (how he orbits the ice and escapes checks and sees openings) and his skating, there is some Karlsson in him. But in terms of impact on the play, he's much more a point guard hub out there who possesses the puck while his mates get open and he is actually very defensive-minded considering his body type and skating ability. I always saw a bit of Timonen in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad