Prospect Info: Canadiens 2016 Rookie Tournament Thread (Sept 16th to 18th)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
McCarron arguably being our best forward this tourney feels good with my prediction that he's our best forward prospect. You obviously can't use this tourney as any real proof but I stand by what I've said for a long time. I've had him over Scherbak for a while now.

The thing about McCarron is he can still get stronger and faster for probably years to come. You can just see that he has a lot of room to improve despite being fairly impressive as is. THAT'S why to me he's our best forward prospect. I think he has the most room to improve out of most of our forward prospects.

McCarron and Bitten are my favourite forward prospects. I really like Hudon too. Liked what I saw from Lehkonen. Still dont' know if he's better than Hudon. You can't argue with his production.

Hopefully I'm just being too hard on Scherbak. I did stop watching the Laffs game in the 3rd which is when Scherbak apparently picked it back up. Same with yesterday. It's a good sign that he gets better as the game goes on anyways. We can afford to be patient with him anyways.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
McCarron arguably being our best forward this tourney feels good with my prediction that he's our best forward prospect. You obviously can't use this tourney as any real proof but I stand by what I've said for a long time. I've had him over Scherbak for a while now.

The thing about McCarron is he can still get stronger and faster for probably years to come. You can just see that he has a lot of room to improve despite being fairly impressive as is. THAT'S why to me he's our best forward prospect. I think he has the most room to improve out of most of our forward prospects.

McCarron and Bitten are my favourite forward prospects. I really like Hudon too. Liked what I saw from Lehkonen. Still dont' know if he's better than Hudon. You can't argue with his production.

Hopefully I'm just being too hard on Scherbak. I did stop watching the Laffs game in the 3rd which is when Scherbak apparently picked it back up. Same with yesterday. It's a good sign that he gets better as the game goes on anyways. We can afford to be patient with him anyways.

I've felt that way about McCarron for a long time now. He just has too much going for him to completely miss. He's huge, aggressive, has a great attitude and work ethic, skates well, shoots rockets, has good hands, hits, takes draws, etc.

I see his floor as an NHL bottom-6er. He's already as good or better than half the forwards in those roles. The difference is he has a real shot at being a good top-6er.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Now or never for Hudon also... Guy has been drafted in 2012. Four years ago, now. He's turning 23 soon.

I think they just let him over ripen. I don't think it's a 'he's not good enough' or 'the org doesn't think he's good enough' situation. he can still play another year with out going through waivers so it's hardly now or never.

We'll be seeing plenty of him this year I'm sure.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I think they just let him over ripen. I don't think it's a 'he's not good enough' or 'the org doesn't think he's good enough' situation. he can still play another year with out going through waivers so it's hardly now or never.

I think Hudon makes good trade bait but there is something in his game that the habs brass are not pleased with.

He has been passed by other players on the depth chart. Even last year with all the injuries other players got more of a chance then him. It's not like we didn't play young players he just didn't beat out the other guys.

I think even a guy like Scherback if he impresses this year can jump over him too. Right now he is behind guys like Ghetto/Carr/McCarron/Dano. Scherback is knocking on the door along with Lekhonen as well. Thats 6 guys right there that Hudon needs to beat out not to mention fringe guys like Matteau/Reway/Audette etc..

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think Hudon makes good trade bait but there is something in his game that the habs brass are not pleased with.

He has been passed by other players on the depth chart. Even last year with all the injuries other players got more of a chance then him. It's not like we didn't play young players he just didn't beat out the other guys.

I think even a guy like Scherback if he impresses this year can jump over him too. Right now he is behind guys like Ghetto/Carr/McCarron/Dano. Scherback is knocking on the door along with Lekhonen as well. Thats 6 guys right there that Hudon needs to beat out not to mention fringe guys like Matteau/Reway/Audette etc..

Who passed him?

Holloway? Older.
Lessio? Older.
Thomas? Older.
Carr? Older.
Andrighetto? Older.
Matteau? was waiver eligible (IIRC) and shiny new skater they got for a NHL skater so had to play
Danault? Older. (also could you please stop spelling him as Dano all the time, it's not Marko Dano)

The only one that arguably passed him are JDLR and McCarron who were both used in a shutdown role not suited for Hudon.

I've seen that statement made by several poster, but I have yet to find any proof of it.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
I expect Hudon to make the jump to the NHL post-expansion draft. I think that keeping him in the AHL one last year could be part of the strategy to not lose him in the draft (like signing Radulov for only one year so that we won't have to protect him for the draft.)

I think Las Vegas would be less interested in Hudon if he only has a good season in the AHL compared to showing his real worth in the NHL. I also think that we can afford waiting one more year for him with other prospects knocking on the NHL door/still looking to establish their place in the NHL.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hudon for whatever reason appears to not be in the team's plans...too bad. He seems to have upside. This camp is make or break.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I personally don't think if Hudon doesn't make the big team, he's not seen as part of the team's future. I would like to see him push for a spot at camp though. He's about to enter his third pro season, and after two or three pro seasons is when I start to look for our prospects to at least challenge for a spot.

If he goes to the AHL after camp, it doesn't spell the end for Hudon with the Canadiens. We have to remember he's not waiver eligible and it could be the reason he will get sent down. While ideally it should be the better player gets the spot, it's not as simple with the different types of contracts.

I will say I believe that Hudon will shine at training camp and will force management to think hard about whatt to do next.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I expect Hudon to make the jump to the NHL post-expansion draft. I think that keeping him in the AHL one last year could be part of the strategy to not lose him in the draft (like signing Radulov for only one year so that we won't have to protect him for the draft.)

I think Las Vegas would be less interested in Hudon if he only has a good season in the AHL compared to showing his real worth in the NHL. I also think that we can afford waiting one more year for him with other prospects knocking on the NHL door/still looking to establish their place in the NHL.

There has to be a lot of that going on and not just the Habs doing it. This year may present particular challenges in terms of which assets teams choose to start their season with.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Who passed him?

Holloway? Older.
Lessio? Older.
Thomas? Older.
Carr? Older.
Andrighetto? Older.
Matteau? was waiver eligible (IIRC) and shiny new skater they got for a NHL skater so had to play
Danault? Older. (also could you please stop spelling him as Dano all the time, it's not Marko Dano)

The only one that arguably passed him are JDLR and McCarron who were both used in a shutdown role not suited for Hudon.

I've seen that statement made by several poster, but I have yet to find any proof of it.

I would say yes to all those players even if they are older. Hudon played 2 season in the AHL. If the team was confident in him they wouldn't go out and get other AHL level players considiring they are all fighting for spots.

I am not saying Hudon is finished, but he only got a handful of games last year with all our injuries while guys like McCaron got 20 games and JDLR gets more games even if its "shut down" role. We could of used scoring, young players and he only got 3 games.

At least last year the team didn't see him as NHL ready (and he also admitted to it) and gave lots of other players more oppurtunites and even went out and got other AHL type players that got oppurtunities above Hudon.

NHL is super competitive only the top of the top make it and you have to force the clubs hand. IMHO he isn't forcing the teams hand right now while other players are. If Scherback starts out hot in the AHL I bet dollars to doughnuts he plays more NHL games for the habs than Hudon over the next 2 seasons. Big Mac probably will as well. Ghetto/Carr if not traded most likely too. Doesn't leave much open space for Hudon so he needs to stand out.

Or you could take the easy way out and blame it on the coach and management and absolve the player of agency but that would be disingenuous.

Hudon has talent, proven it at the AHL level but he needs to do more to stand out against his competition. Good thing he is still a young player.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal

He looks good because he is more physically mature and just flat out bigger than the other guys. Put him against real NHLers, and you won't see the same thing.

Doesn't mean he won't be able to contribute in his prime. He'll definitely be a good 3rd line centre.

Siekensou

Jul 13, 2016
Or you could take the easy way out and blame it on the coach and management and absolve the player of agency but that would be disingenuous.

Hudon has talent, proven it at the AHL level but he needs to do more to stand out against his competition. Good thing he is still a young player.

You will never blame the coach for anything. This was exactly your argument when you defended Therrien for playing Desharnais over Galchenyuk last year. Galchenyuk didn't do enough to deserve a chance on the first line, he is not good enough defensively blabla...You would find a reason to defend Therrien even if he played Tanner Glass over Sidney Crosby.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
You will never blame the coach for anything. This was exactly your argument when you defended Therrien for playing Desharnais over Galchenyuk last year. Galchenyuk didn't do enough to deserve a chance on the first line, he is not good enough defensively blabla...You would find a reason to defend Therrien even if he played Tanner Glass over Sidney Crosby.

So are you blaming MT for Hudon not making an impression at the NHL level? The same guy who gives McCarron 20 games last year. It's not like he didn't play other young players so can't use that excuse. Hudon is just as french as DD can't use that excuse.

As far as DD vs AG I have argued that DD was fine the first 2 years and after that should of been eased off the team. I think an 18/19 year old AG at 1/2C wasn't wise. I now also don't think DD should be on the team. Make a good argument and maybe you will change my mind like with DD, make a weak one and I don't change my mind just to follow everyone elses opinion.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
So are you blaming MT for Hudon not making an impression at the NHL level? The same guy who gives McCarron 20 games last year. It's not like he didn't play other young players so can't use that excuse. Hudon is just as french as DD can't use that excuse.

As far as DD vs AG I have argued that DD was fine the first 2 years and after that should of been eased off the team. I think an 18/19 year old AG at 1/2C wasn't wise. I now also don't think DD should be on the team. Make a good argument and maybe you will change my mind like with DD, make a weak one and I don't change my mind just to follow everyone elses opinion.

Well just maybe, could it be because Hudon has the profile to play in the top 6 and not in the bottom 6... and McCarron is the complete opposite, e.g. a bottom 6 player? Same with JDLR. Both are not offensive-minded top 6 players

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Well just maybe, could it be because Hudon has the profile to play in the top 6 and not in the bottom 6... and McCarron is the complete opposite, e.g. a bottom 6 player? Same with JDLR. Both are not offensive-minded top 6 players

Its up to the player to adapt to what the team needs especially when you are young. And this team could have used offense throughout the year if he stood out enough by doing that room would of been made. Even Hudon said he wasn't ready for the NHL.

Young players don't have many opportunities competition is fierce you make your mark however you can. Hudon didn't do enough of that last year while other players did thats why I said he fell down the depth chart. It's not about how "talented" he is, its standing out from his peers no matter what the team needs or wants.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Its up to the player to adapt to what the team needs especially when you are young. And this team could have used offense throughout the year if he stood out enough by doing that room would of been made. Even Hudon said he wasn't ready for the NHL.

Young players don't have many opportunities competition is fierce you make your mark however you can. Hudon didn't do enough of that last year while other players did thats why I said he fell down the depth chart. It's not about how "talented" he is, its standing out from his peers no matter what the team needs or wants.

wich would be stupid to think. 5'10 Hudon will not start playing physical ala Shea Weber or Emelin cause that's what the team need you know...

but hey, at least it's not about being passed by younger prospects anymore, like you said earlier.

Mike Brown... useless lightweight goon Mike Brown played over Charles Hudon. Even when Habs were officially eliminated...

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
Now or never for Hudon also... Guy has been drafted in 2012. Four years ago, now. He's turning 23 soon.

He's turning 23 in June 2017..

There's still time with him, he just turned 22. It's not like he's failed to show any upside, he impressed in both of his years in the AHL. Fun fact, only one player Montreal drafted from that "supposedly good" 2012 class made the team and it's Galchenyuk. Hudon is the only one left with real NHL potential.

Who passed him?

Holloway? Older.
Lessio? Older.
Thomas? Older.
Carr? Older.
Andrighetto? Older.

Agree, I don't think that Hudon has not been passed by other players on the depth chart. Management simply chose to be patient with him, often comparing his situation to Plekanec back in the days. When asked about Hudon last year, both Bergevin and Therrien mentioned that for some type of players, it is beneficial to spend more time in the AHL before jumping in the NHL and that Plekanec spent 3 full years seasoning in the AHL.

Everyone knows that the organization has Plekanec playing a vital role on this team. I think Begervin / Therrien penciled Hudon being a player with the potential to play a similar role for the team in the future. It's a role that requires consistency, maturity and taking on big responsibilities. I believe that could be one of the reasons why they preferred having Hudon in the AHL. To work on his strength and develop consistency, playing a stable and important role in the AHL as opposed to patching holes in the NHL.

If Hudon shows that he is ready this year, he should play in the NHL. If he's better than other players, then you make room for him on the team and protect him.

Hudon for whatever reason appears to not be in the team's plans...too bad. He seems to have upside. This camp is make or break.

If he kills it during this training camp and the team does not make room for him, then there would be a valid reason to believe he's not on the team's plans. Until that happens, it's all just speculation.

I personally don't think if Hudon doesn't make the big team, he's not seen as part of the team's future. I would like to see him push for a spot at camp though. He's about to enter his third pro season, and after two or three pro seasons is when I start to look for our prospects to at least challenge for a spot.

If he goes to the AHL after camp, it doesn't spell the end for Hudon with the Canadiens. We have to remember he's not waiver eligible and it could be the reason he will get sent down. While ideally it should be the better player gets the spot, it's not as simple with the different types of contracts.

I will say I believe that Hudon will shine at training camp and will force management to think hard about whatt to do next.

I believe management always had a plan for him, it's just one that required seasoning in the AHL. It's now about whether the plan pans out or not and if he will become that player they want him to be.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I find you cant underscore this aspect enough, especially with certain players

Had my doubts about the kid. But you just can't ignore the skills and the IQ. Still afraid of the frame but slimmer guys have succeeded and still succeed.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
no way is it a make or break for Hudon, next year yes. Also it seems highly unlikely they would trade him since his value wouldn't be that high since he's undersized. I'm not sure he makes the Habs out of camp, but he's going to play some games for them this year and then we'll see how it goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad