Canadian players which are MISTAKES on the roster thus far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
BigE said:
A stupid thread for a stupid discussion. Talk to me on Sunday.

For the most part, definitly agreed.

I cant believe someone just suggested marc savard should be on this team. :eek:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
ferns8916 said:
First, Niedermayer, Pronger, and Blake have been elite for the last 10 years or so. Maybe not the calibre of Bourque. But still elite. Other than Lidstrom, those three Canadian defensemen have been the best defensemen in the world over the last 10 eyars or so. All three of those Canadian defensemen have the Norris Trophies and All-Star Team Selections to prove that they have been elite.

That`s what i`m saying. They had thr trophies by default. Because there was no one else.

Second, what "Johnson" are you talking about? Because the only elite young defensemen that I know of with the last name "Johnson" are both Americans (Jack Johnson and Eric Johnson).

Jack

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
I think the obvious answer is that Canada should have sent and dressed 127 players for every game. Since there isn't enough room on the bench, they could just sit in the hallway, or in the first few rows of stands.

Then Canada would have players to call on for every situation that arises, and as soon as someone has a bad shift, they could send him to a remote prison without the fear of shortening the bench.

But, most importantly, all the armchair GMs at home couldn't complain that their player wasn't there.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
McCabe, Thornton at center (can't win a face-off) and Bertuzzi (can't do anything out there). Need Staal at center and Phaneuf on the back end.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Hmmmmm. Where to start....

Everyone can suggest 3 or so players we could have tried. It's not hard. Canada has a pool of players big enough we could probably 5-8 of them and not have the team get better or worse, so some good players had to get left out.

ie Kariya and St Louis are about equal. If we'd taken Kariya and gone 2-2 then people would have been complaining we didn't take St Louis. If we'd taken Staal instead of Thornton, people would be complaining we should have made the Thornton-Nash line.

Is pouring more offensive talent on to a team this is already a class above the others going to achieve that much? If we can't beat the Swiss with 5 times their talent, is 6 times really going to matter? I don't think so. Trying to fix it by replacing talent with roughly equivalent talent is just a shortsighted way of not facing up to a systemic problem.

It's time to get our players to work as a team and implement a plan. That's how other teams are beating us, they don't care if it's ugly dull hockey, and neither should we if that is what it takes to win. We need better coaching/system.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
ProngerRocks said:
Its perception friend - the fact that most canuck fans think Bertuzzi has been one of canada's best fowards shows you how bad he really has been playing this year.

OK this confuses me. How can a guy tied for 1st in points on the team be not playing to potential. He has a respectable +1 +/- considering Sakic, Thorton and Nash are all -1. Vancouver fans are not the biased ones here.

http://www.torino2006.org/ENG/IDF/IH/C83_IHM400000_CAN.html

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
ProngerRocks said:
Its perception friend - the fact that most canuck fans think Bertuzzi has been one of canada's best fowards shows you how bad he really has been playing this year.

This statement makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It is completely illogical. :handclap:

ProngerRocks

Feb 7, 2006
me2 said:
This statement makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It is completely illogical. :handclap:

makes complete sense - bertuzzi has been nothing short of aweful in these olympics - taking dumb penalties and costing canada goals with his foot in the crease. the fact that people think he has been playing good comparing it to his play in Vancouver shows you how awefull he has been with Vancouver? get it - he raises his game for the olympics - people who watch him notice it - but people with knowledge who are watching him for the first time this year - see how brutal he is.

this team wins nothing with bertuzzi on the team

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
ProngerRocks said:
makes complete sense - bertuzzi has been nothing short of aweful in these olympics - taking dumb penalties and costing canada goals with his foot in the crease. the fact that people think he has been playing good comparing it to his play in Vancouver shows you how awefull he has been with Vancouver? get it - he raises his game for the olympics - people who watch him notice it - but people with knowledge who are watching him for the first time this year - see how brutal he is.

You seem to have done a lot of research on the topic. Could you tell me how many penalties tuzzi has, and then right below that, tell me how many pronger has thus far? Thanks.

I dont mean to even compare him to pronger (completly different situations and roles) but your singling out bertuzzi just because you seem to hate on the canucks anytime you have the chance. As I said in a previous post, you could probably just not tell us how you think about canucks players because its very obvious how you feel about them.

Todd Bertuzzi has been far from the worst player on the team, you are free to disagree, but that doesnt make you right.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
Smyth2Hemsky said:
Pronger is also playing injured and him and Blake are playing half the game on the big ice surface playing 4 games in 5 nights. What's Bertuzzi's excuse?

I dont think bertuzzi needs one. Frankly, I dont think Blake and Pronger do either. The team as a whole has stunk.

Its a good thing the players dont get in homer bickering matches when they get in the dressing room.. we'd be in real trouble them.

ProngerRocks

Feb 7, 2006
FreshBrew said:
You seem to have done a lot of research on the topic. Could you tell me how many penalties tuzzi has, and then right below that, tell me how many pronger has thus far? Thanks.

I dont mean to even compare him to pronger (completly different situations and roles) but your singling out bertuzzi just because you seem to hate on the canucks anytime you have the chance. As I said in a previous post, you could probably just not tell us how you think about canucks players because its very obvious how you feel about them.

Todd Bertuzzi has been far from the worst player on the team, you are free to disagree, but that doesnt make you right.

injured or not pronger has been bad. bertuzzi has been bad.

rad_sci_guy

Aug 17, 2005
Thornhill
I can't wait to hear how someone's going to say Brodeur is a mistake because he hasn't shot the puck down the ice to try and score since no one else seems too. :sarcasm:

Nova88

Oct 6, 2005
Canada has a good team but I think they will have to play smart. They need a shutdown line that can stop the top line of the other team. Then they can use there big guys like Nash and Heatly to but together a size line that will just over power the other team in there own zone.

Chadley

The Big Dirty
Sep 19, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
ProngerRocks said:

please prove this. other than his penalty on the PP, what other dumb penalties has he taken?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Buffaloed said:
The mistake is choosing an all-star team instead of complimentary players around a handful of stars. A Canadian team assembled around players who knew their roles and were comfortable with them would roll over the opposition. They should look to past Stanley Cup champions for their model. Team Canada in these olympics reminds me of the USA's basketball team in 2002.
see

True, but at least the talent level is there.

The Czechs, for example, went the other way, and omitted guys who are proven scorers in the NHL, to go with the likes or Olesz, Erat and Bulis.
Coupled with the fact they're the worst team of the big-7 down the middle and horrible on the faceoffs, I'll take the Canada way of selecting people over what the Czechs went for any day. :dunno:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
puck57 said:
I LOVE the way people are so quick to jump to say this one should have been selected instead of this player, etc. How do you know another player selected would do any worse or better than the one selected- you don't- it's all conjecture. If Crosby or a few of the younger guys had gone- who knows- they might have only won one game or could have won all so far- YOU DO NOT KNOW and will never know. You roll the dice- on paper all the players selected have the potential to get a gold medal for Canada and so far have not played to their full potential- it has NOTHING to do with them being selected and all to do with their play on the ice. They have not come together as a team for whatever variety of reasons- until that is resolved they will continue to have the problems we have seen in these last 2 games. The clock is ticking and only THEY have the power to do something about it- not Gretz for selecting them, not Quinn as their coach- but they have to go out and do it.

Don't you know fans like to overreact and state the obvious?

Nova88

Oct 6, 2005
I have feeling this is all a show by team Canada. They will make you think they suck until they win the gold. There is a lot of pressure on these guys. Here are the options if they lose in Q, the next 4 years will be hell in Canada. If they lose get spot 2 or 3 then there will be less of a hell in Canada but still the next 4 years they will be talking about getting the gold back and “its our gameâ€. So the only option for them is to win or else you may as well live in USA during the summer for the next 4 years.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
ProngerRocks said:
injured or not pronger has been bad. bertuzzi has been bad.
I'm suprised you have lasted this long.

Anyways, do you honestly think you are clever (Flames fan) hiding behind the moniker of an Oilers fan?

cc

Feb 28, 2002
ProngerRocks said:

I suppose your opinion may mean more if it weren't so decidedly biased.

Do you even look at statistics before you make claims like "all he can do is take stupid penalties?" He has a total of 4 minutes in penalties and let me just say, he drawn quite a few more penalties than he's taken. He's not playing his best, but when comparing him with other players in the team, he is certainly not the worst by any stretch.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
jtuzzi said:
I'm suprised you have lasted this long.

Anyways, do you honestly think you are clever (Flames fan) hiding behind the moniker of an Oilers fan?

if this is true, that is the absolutely lamest and juvenile thing I've seen in a long time on these boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad