GDT: Canada vs USA

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The only thing I get out of this is year after year, it seems like the tournament just matters more to TC and Canadians. One call isn't a game, it wasn't that egregious a call. Could have went the other way. You play the game and get a result.

All these Canada guys have been pumped full of holiday tournament lore their whole lives. The fuel seems to give them an edge, especially on home soil. Good tourney for the States and Czechs too. Should be good Gold and Bronze games.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
joe must be sleeping in but rest assured he will declare war with canada for this thievery when he wakes up

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Just watching the game first time and I have not read the thread at all, I have absolutely no idea about discussion here.. so..

3-3 challenge was ridiculous homerism, blasphemy, rigged call 100% and I have no respect for the tournament or winner after seen that, goodbye

Homerism? Here's the reffing crew:

Referees: Anssi Salonen #21 (FIN), Michael Tscherrig #17 (SUI)
Linesmen: Onni Hautamaki #55 (FIN), Patrick Laguzov #60 (GER)

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
When they had it in Tampa I believe....nobody came from anywhere. Minny, DTW, Boston, Colorado, NYC, even Seattle would be fun. Just gets old seeing it in Canada yet again....I lost interest to be honest when I saw it being held there again in 2025. Give it a f***ing break.

But then, I cannot watch it ion Youtube TV either as they do not carry NHL Network. I am yelling at clouds now too.

As a Canadian, I'd rather see it in other countries as well. I think the real question is, why isn't anyone else stepping up? It's not like the IIHF would favour Canada. Pretty obvious we're just the ones willing to host it every year. I think it would be amazing if today's game was in Czechia.

Reactions: Putt Pirate

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
The only thing I get out of this is year after year, it seems like the tournament just matters more to TC and Canadians. One call isn't a game, it wasn't that egregious a call. Could have went the other way. You play the game and get a result.

All these Canada guys have been pumped full of holiday tournament lore their whole lives. The fuel seems to give them an edge, especially on home soil. Good tourney for the States and Czechs too. Should be good Gold and Bronze games.

This is all true. Not sure everyone around the world understands this has become a holiday tradition in Canada (to be honest, it seems to be losing that holiday luster in recent years).

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
That first goal should have counted but the IIHF is riddled with stupid rules with no nuance (and the NHL has stupidly followed suit). Don't blame the refs for following the rules, blame the IIHF for not giving them the ability to make the right call. The black and white world of the IIHF rules cant deal with shades of grey.

Accidentally clear a puck over the glass while not under pressure? Automatic Intentional delay of game!
Throw a clean check and there's incidental head contact? 5 minutes and a game!

With quick instant replays a thing, I don't know why these things cant be figured out by even a half competent ref. Largely taking the intent of a player out of penalization in many of these cases is frustrating as hell.

I thought both games were well-officiated yesterday (especially compared with some previous games). The biggest worry at this level from the refs is a slew of soft penalties that destroys a great game.

The 2nd goal should be acceptable to the majority of people though. Was frozen under a pad and then speared into the net? No goal.

LBS I Digress

Jan 30, 2022
Diggin In
Not sure if you realize you are kind of shooting yourself in the foot with your very next words here?
It’s like you aren’t reading the rest of my post. I acknowledge the rule. It’s archaic and it’s not actually goalie interference. I understand by iihf rules that it’s technically goalie interference, but that’s what it is, a technicality.

It’s basically saying Jackson Blake isn’t allowed to make a hockey play in the crease even if the puck is in the crease and he’s already established position first without interfering with the goalie.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
But many people don't think he made a mistake. It was a call that could go either way, but not enough to ruin a game.
I would say the disallowed goals were significant factors in the game's outcome. That said, full marks to Canada. They overcame an early deficit, capitalized on their chances, and Milic stood tall in net.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
My only complaint about this tourney is every other year it is in Canada. Need other countries to step it up on that front but having home games 1/2 the tourneys vs. rarely....Canada should be winning most of these with their roster.

Well the thing is fans go to the games in Canada. The US has to have the games in a border town so Canadian fans can come and fill the arena. If fans aren't interested it's tougher to let countries host.

Reactions: Voight

Bob P

Sep 4, 2021
It’s like you aren’t reading the rest of my post. I acknowledge the rule. It’s archaic and it’s not actually goalie interference. I understand by iihf rules that it’s technically goalie interference, but that’s what it is, a technicality.

It’s basically saying Jackson Blake isn’t allowed to make a hockey play in the crease even if the puck is in the crease and he’s already established position first without interfering with the goalie.
you can't impede the goalie from making a save.period.

Reactions: daver

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yea no kidding eh. It's amazing that in 2023 we still all have to keep these guns to our heads and forced into reading pages from a hockey board.
You enjoy having to continuously skip pages to find anything about hockey?

I’m sure there’s some IPA message board somewhere you can go fill your boots on.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Yesterday, my Internet and TV went out and I found myself sitting in front of my iPhone's 5 inch screen watching the game. Directly behind was my big ass TV. If I had had more warning, I could have scrounged up a way to cast it, but no time. I thought the disallowed goals were 50-50. The second one was easy. In any case, the US was the better, more dominating team for long periods, but a hot goalie stymied them. C'est la vie. It's happened to Canada before as well.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I would say the disallowed goals were significant factors in the game's outcome. That said, full marks to Canada. They overcame an early deficit, capitalized on their chances, and Milic stood tall in net.
Certainly true. I only saw replays and heard radio, but my understanding is the US was the better team for long stretches. Tough calls for them. I love it when the US is a top team. Makes the games exciting.

Macman

May 15, 2004
When they had it in Tampa I believe....nobody came from anywhere. Minny, DTW, Boston, Colorado, NYC, even Seattle would be fun. Just gets old seeing it in Canada yet again....I lost interest to be honest when I saw it being held there again in 2025. Give it a f***ing break.

But then, I cannot watch it ion Youtube TV either as they do not carry NHL Network. I am yelling at clouds now too.

It’s never been held in Tampa. Not sure where you’re getting that. I think it would be a hit if it ever were. Maybe you’re thinking of Boston in 1996. That’s the farthest south it’s ever been, I think.

Reactions: Putt Pirate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad