GDT: Canada vs USA

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
As a Canadian, I'd rather see it in other countries as well. I think the real question is, why isn't anyone else stepping up? It's not like the IIHF would favour Canada. Pretty obvious we're just the ones willing to host it every year. I think it would be amazing if today's game was in Czechia.
It all comes down to money. NO country is willing to pay as much for tickets as Canada. NO country can put butts in the stands like Canada.

The IIHF is a business - like any other. They have bills to pay. If we ran the IIHF, we'd put it in Canada, too.

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
It’s like you aren’t reading the rest of my post. I acknowledge the rule. It’s archaic and it’s not actually goalie interference. I understand by iihf rules that it’s technically goalie interference, but that’s what it is, a technicality.

It’s basically saying Jackson Blake isn’t allowed to make a hockey play in the crease even if the puck is in the crease and he’s already established position first without interfering with the goalie.
Former amateur ref here.

The rule is pretty clear, there is literally no room in the IIHF rule book for "Hockey Plays". The IIHF has went out of there way to ensure the on ice officials call the game and have the last word.

The rule is clear, you cannot bump the goalie, period, once contact is made the ref should blow the whistle. Blake cannot enter the crease and then "establish position" like he's a center in basketball guarding the rim. He could enter, but cannot on his own make contact, nor can he camp out there and not allow the goalie the ability to move within the blue paint.

The ref didn't call it initially and Canada knowing the rule challenged. Once the ref seen contact on the video the play is over. The only continuation allowed is if there is a penalty after contact. We seen this with an offsides and Canada committing a penalty. The play was called offsides, however because Canada committed a penalty, it still goes in the book, even though the clock get's set back.

The instant the puck stopped moving forward on it's own and was covered by the goalie, play over. Again another astute call by Canada, once the puck disappears under the pad it's play over and that is what the ref seen and once he reviewed the video, he made the correct call.

It will be interesting to see how todays Gold game is officiated, my guess is that Canada will get a few early powerplays when Czechia tries to copy their style of play from the first game.

It's like this speed trap here in So Cal. A section of freeway is 65, then it transitions to another freeway that's 55, then about a mile later, it transitions back to 65. The CHP sits there and writes tickets all day.

Just because you can do something in Junior, College or the Pro's, doesn't mean you can do it in an IIHF tournament.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It all comes down to money. NO country is willing to pay as much for tickets as Canada. NO country can put butts in the stands like Canada.

The IIHF is a business - like any other. They have bills to pay. If we ran the IIHF, we'd put it in Canada, too.
Profit isn't the only goal of a business. Another one is growth. Having it in Canada isn't exactly amazing for international growth. Canadians already know hockey and watch it.

Then again, perhaps nobody else cares about these junior tournaments as much.

Reactions: Putt Pirate

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Profit isn't the only goal of a business. Another one is growth. Having it in Canada isn't exactly amazing for international growth. Canadians already know hockey and watch it.

True but if @ijuka was the president of the IIHF, I'm sure you'd want it in Canada, too. :)

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Guys, the Iihf just ruled that because there were so many complaints on this thread about those two disputed goals that:
1) the referees have been overruled and now both goals count
2) Canada has been deducted four goals, so now the final score is 4-2 USA
3) Canada has been ejected from the IIHF, as well as from CONCACAF, NATO, the UN and from the North American land mass.
4) the letters CANADA have been removed from the English alphabet and
5) the IIHF will move its headquarters to Colorado Springs and the only member nation will be the US.

Good work guys!

Reactions: PBandJ and Macman

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
My only complaint about this tourney is every other year it is in Canada. Need other countries to step it up on that front but having home games 1/2 the tourneys vs. rarely....Canada should be winning most of these with their roster.

Rumor was while with AEG wanted to have the World Juniors in LA/OC using Staples and the Pond. Both the Kings and the Ducks would head out after Christmas on road trips, then returning for 2 home games on the days off.

Apparently it was shot down by the NHL as it would cause too many scheduling conflicts. However with the diverse population in So Cal, I think it could have been easily pulled off.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Rumor was while with AEG wanted to have the World Juniors in LA/OC using Staples and the Pond. Both the Kings and the Ducks would head out after Christmas on road trips, then returning for 2 home games on the days off.

Apparently it was shot down by the NHL as it would cause too many scheduling conflicts. However with the diverse population in So Cal, I think it could have been easily pulled off.
Not sure how IIHF plans world juniors, but if there are any AHL teams in proximity, couldn’t they always use an AHL rink and two NHL rinks to make the schedule easier?

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Forgive my ignorance. After the Canada-USA game last night, the Canadian goalie was selected as Canada's player of the game. Then after that, they had 3 Canadian players (Bedard was one of them) come up to win some kind of other award. What was that for?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Forgive my ignorance. After the Canada-USA game last night, the Canadian goalie was selected as Canada's player of the game. Then after that, they had 3 Canadian players (Bedard was one of them) come up to win some kind of other award. What was that for?
Canada's top 3 players for the tournament. Was the entire Bedard line(Stankoven and Roy).

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
2022 & 2021 were in Canada due to them being able to make it "COVID Safe" and most other country's not interested in bringing him so many foreigners for a simple hockey tournament.

2020 was in Czechia.
2023 was supposed to be in Russia but they lost it due to obvious reasons.

Does Canada host it a lot? Of course. But its the country with the most interest in said tournament and probably the most lucrative location for the IIHF.
On the flip side Canada has rarely hosted the IIHF Mens tournament, only hosting once in 2008 Halifiax-Quebec City.

Reactions: Voight

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Canadas best 3 players for the whole tournament.
They do it for each team, the top 3.

Reactions: Megahab

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It’s like you aren’t reading the rest of my post. I acknowledge the rule. It’s archaic and it’s not actually goalie interference. I understand by iihf rules that it’s technically goalie interference, but that’s what it is, a technicality.

It’s basically saying Jackson Blake isn’t allowed to make a hockey play in the crease even if the puck is in the crease and he’s already established position first without interfering with the goalie.
A player isn't allowed to establish position in the crease.

The goalie is entitled to have free movement at all times throughout the entire crease, without having to to compete with any other player for position.

Outside the crease, the goalie is like any other player, but you can't have a competition for space and position within the crease.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

They probably should start caring then. It’s a great way to judge how your country is doing developing talent.

This year isnt a good sign for Finland, for example.

Reactions: Voight

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
A player isn't allowed to establish position in the crease.

The goalie is entitled to have free movement at all times throughout the entire crease, without having to to compete with any other player for position.

Outside the crease, the goalie is like any other player, but you can't have a competition for space and position within the crease.
But the player was pushed into him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad