GDT: Canada vs USA

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Both calls were so close they could've gone either way. But the point is that Canada was, again, the beneficiary.

It likely wouldn't have been a big issue if a history of home cooking did not exist.
I’m guessing many of the Americans are tired of this. It’s accumulative. It all adds up over time.
And the Hlinka isnt some random tournament. It’s arguably the second best junior tourney nowadays. That screw job of the USA that year was flat out outrageous.
First call was terrible- US got hosed. Second call was blatant goalie interference and refs made the correct call.

Bad refereeing has been a main staple in the iihf. Canada historically got the raw end of iihf calls. The 5 min major on Desn in the opening Czech gsme is sn example.

6-2 (or 6-3) still is a significant win. Better team won despite poor refereeing.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
End of the day, they’re still the second best country at hockey now and canadas biggest threat to hegemony. This was a very good and skilled American team. Both elite teams really

They have won Gold x3 and Silver x2 the last 5 years. Including 2 of the last 3 Golds. USA has had great success the last 13 years, but Canada is still head and shoulders above the rest.

Reactions: Confucius

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Lol you clowns gloating over the refs handing it to you. Really easy to win when every goal that goes in just magically doesnt count. Canadas game indeed. Dont even get me started on the fact that you guys are too scared to let the russians even compete these days.

For starters, Russia has 1 Gold in the last 20 years. Not sure why you would claim Canada is scared of them.

& its the IIHF that wouldn't let Russia compete.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Seeing it from the teenage players is one thing, but seeing it from posters on here who have no stake in the game whatsoever is another thing entirely. :laugh:
If the fans didn’t gloat or heap praise there would be no league, It’s all about the fans, if not for the fans the players would play in beer leagues at best. Some may not even do that as their regular job would get in the way.

Reactions: Ciao

Dach Vader

The Dachside
Mar 31, 2021
Both calls were so close they could've gone either way. But the point is that Canada was, again, the beneficiary.

It likely wouldn't have been a big issue if a history of home cooking did not exist.
I’m guessing many of the Americans are tired of this. It’s accumulative. It all adds up over time.
And the Hlinka isnt some random tournament. It’s arguably the second best junior tourney nowadays. That screw job of the USA that year was flat out outrageous.

Those were blatant calls not soft ones.

They were so obvious everyone in the room called them as they happened. You guys are so cringe. Terrible sportsmanship.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Came here for talk about the game and instead had to read through 3 pages of arguments for “who has better beer”…

Mods not going to clean that up?

Reactions: Voight

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Nothing on HF surprises me any more, but both of the goaltender interference calls were correct. The first one was a textbook box out by the American player, inside the crease. You can’t box out the other team’s goalie inside his crease. 2nd was a stick jammed into the pads and pushing, again inside the crease.

The NHL makes wacky goalie interference calls all the time, but both of these were textbook calls and I was glad to see them correctly called. First one would be fine in the white paint, 2nd should never be allowed.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
First call was terrible- US got hosed. Second call was blatant goalie interference and refs made the correct call.

Bad refereeing has been a main staple in the iihf. Canada historically got the raw end of iihf calls. The 5 min major on Desn in the opening Czech gsme is sn example.

6-2 (or 6-3) still is a significant win. Better team won despite poor refereeing.
How was the first call terrible?
Milic was trying to slide his pad over and the player in the crease skate stopped his slide dead by planting his skate there so he could not slide his pad over. The player then sent the puck into the exact spot he prevented Milic's pad from sliding.

That is cut and dry goalie interference in IIHF

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I mean my personal opinion on the first goalie interference was that it should have counted. But Bob had a pretty in depth explanation of the call and why it was the correct one based off the IIHF rules. Basically because he was in the blue paint and the puck was not and he impeded the goalie making an attempt on the puck inside the blue paint that is goalie interference in International hockey. I can also admit I would be pissed off if I was on the other end of it...but it does seem to be the correct interpretation of the rules.

LBS I Digress

Jan 30, 2022
Diggin In
Those were blatant calls not soft ones.

They were so obvious everyone in the room called them as they happened. You guys are so cringe. Terrible sportsmanship.
How do you expect people to take you seriously?

I don’t care if it’s iihf, that first call was inexcusably awful. In no way does Jackson ever actually impede the goalies progress in front of the net. Saying that “maybe his skate stopped him from pushing out his pad” is a joke. There was absolutely nothing blatant about it and it’s disingenuous to paint it as such.

And now people are really gonna turn around and claim poor sportsmanship lololololol? I don’t even care about the second call, the first one was so obviously not goalie inference, and it changed the dynamic of the game from being tied again to giving canada a considerable momentum advantage. And if we’re being honest then you know that goal wouldn’t be ruled goaltender interference in either USA hockey or Hockey canada.

Get over it, you had a call go massively in your favor when it probably shouldn’t have because of an archaic in the crease rule and to your credit you were able to capitalize off of it. Congrats, enjoy it, embrace it, but don’t act like it didn’t happen, and definitely don’t be upset that other fans aren’t happy about it.

Reactions: jfrank21

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Came here for talk about the game and instead had to read through 3 pages of arguments for “who has better beer”…

Mods not going to clean that up?
Yea no kidding eh. It's amazing that in 2023 we still all have to keep these guns to our heads and forced into reading pages from a hockey board.

dwdl21

Jan 4, 2012
Canada

I don’t care if it’s iihf, that first call was inexcusably awful. In no way does Jackson ever actually impede the goalies progress in front of the net. Saying that “maybe his skate stopped him from pushing out his pad” is a joke. There was absolutely nothing blatant about it and it’s disingenuous to paint it as such.

And now people are really gonna turn around and claim poor sportsmanship lololololol? I don’t even care about the second call, the first one was so obviously not goalie inference, and it changed the dynamic of the game from being tied again to giving canada a considerable momentum advantage. And if we’re being honest then you know that goal wouldn’t be ruled goaltender interference in either USA hockey or Hockey canada.

Get over it, you had a call go massively in your favor when it probably shouldn’t have because of an archaic in the crease rule and to your credit you were able to capitalize off of it. Congrats, enjoy it, embrace it, but don’t act like it didn’t happen, and definitely don’t be upset that other fans aren’t happy about it.
Dude give it up, you're wrong, on all counts.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Such a huge win for Team Canada. I think the score doesn't reflect how close the game actually was. A 7 game series between these two teams would be a toss up.

On to the Czechs!

Reactions: Stive Morgan

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

As a fan of Team Canada, I believe you are right. That call was weak, and I am not sure the interference as was makes such a difference to have a goal overturned. It changed the course of the game no doubt. But.......unfortunately it is the rules within the IIHF. I have no doubt in my mind if the roles were reversed that would have been called on Canada. It is frustrating and I can appreciate American's frustration. Canada won. Who knows what the outcome would have been if that goal was allowed. We will never know. That's how she goes.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
On the second goal that was reversed an unmanned stick tried to score, Team Canada's own number 4 tried to score but McGroarty's not allowed an attempt. That's just not right.:huh::huh:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Going by how dominant they were in the first 10 minutes, I thought it was going to be a 7-1 route for USA but the better team won.

Reactions: Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad