GDT: Canada vs USA

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
That first goal should have counted but the IIHF is riddled with stupid rules with no nuance (and the NHL has stupidly followed suit). Don't blame the refs for following the rules, blame the IIHF for not giving them the ability to make the right call. The black and white world of the IIHF rules cant deal with shades of grey.

Why should it have counted when you can reasonably conclude the goalie was impeded from making the stop?

Reactions: LBloor and Ciao

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
As a Canadian, I'd rather see it in other countries as well. I think the real question is, why isn't anyone else stepping up? It's not like the IIHF would favour Canada. Pretty obvious we're just the ones willing to host it every year. I think it would be amazing if today's game was in Czech
If it was any other time of year it would help, but considering a majority of the games are between Christmas and new years I can’t see too many places, especially the states, where interest would be super high.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Should pick up the game at 3-3 but refill Jason Blake beer

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Why should it have counted when you can reasonably conclude the goalie was impeded from making the stop?

1) The push by the defender caused the whole sequence of events to occur.
2) the goalie wasnt saving that shot either way IMO.

There is some wiggle room for the refs to make a bad call here even with more moderate rules but I'm 90/10 on that being a bad call. (Bobby Mac made the case in favor of the rules well enough though I disagree)

Im 100% on the 2nd one being no goal though. It's as cut and dry as anything out there. Puck was frozen under a pad and speared out. If that was called a goal it would have been one of the worst calls ever.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
It’s like you aren’t reading the rest of my post. I acknowledge the rule. It’s archaic and it’s not actually goalie interference. I understand by iihf rules that it’s technically goalie interference, but that’s what it is, a technicality.

It’s basically saying Jackson Blake isn’t allowed to make a hockey play in the crease even if the puck is in the crease and he’s already established position first without interfering with the goalie.
I'm sorry, but what in the heck are you talking about? 1) he entered the crease before he had the puck....not that it matters, but more importantly...2) what are you talking about in terms of establishing position???? A player is not allowed to establish position in the crease. I'll admit, that interference call was not as blatant as the 2nd one, but when I watched it live, before they even went to challenge, I was thinking "he can't do that"....I was thinking it would likely be called back in the NHL as well.

For the 2nd one, anyone complaining about that should simply stop watching hockey (but it may have been the first game they watched anyway). The telecast I was watching, the announcers suggested the refs will need 5 seconds with video review before they called it back...for which I agreed.

I hate when those calls happen though, even if they are the correct calls and couldn't help but think.....I hope Canada wins by at least 3 so there isn't too much complaining.....but I guess winning by 4 didn't really change any of that.

There are legitimate terrible calls all the time, especially in the past with no video review, it happens, refs are human, but the right calls were made last night, I don't get the complaints. If a Team USA fan were truly asked to be 100% honest, what would you think if Canada scored those 2 goals, which ended up being allowed and won 4-2? Rhetorical question, I know no one would be able to be honest on that.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
1) The push by the defender caused the whole sequence of events to occur.
2) the goalie wasnt saving that shot either way IMO.

There is some wiggle room for the refs to make a bad call here even with more moderate rules but I'm 90/10 on that being a bad call. (Bobby Mac made the case in favor of the rules well enough though I disagree)

Im 100% on the 2nd one being no goal though. It's as cut and dry as anything out there. Puck was frozen under a pad and speared out. If that was called a goal it would have been one of the worst calls ever.
1) totally disagree on that one.....the Dman barely touched him...all he did was push him with one arm to try and push him out of the crease....he went in the opposite direction toward the goalie to maintain that position in the crease.

2) this is more subjective and never really plays into the call unless it is so obvious the goalie never would have had a chance (in the NHL anyway).....on this play, he just barely got it past the goalie's leg to begin with, so if he's not in the way of the goalie getting across, I think a reasonable assumption would be that he has a good chance to stop it.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Are people really still crying about the IIHF crease violation and goalie interference rules? its a known fact IIHF takes it very seriously, this isn't the NHL. These games are officiated by different rules.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Are people really still crying about the IIHF crease violation and goalie interference rules? its a known fact IIHF takes it very seriously, this isn't the NHL. These games are officiates by different rules.
It seems people really, really cant grasp this.

Reactions: Qwijibo

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm sorry, but what in the heck are you talking about? 1) he entered the crease before he had the puck....not that it matters, but more importantly...2) what are you talking about in terms of establishing position???? A player is not allowed to establish position in the crease. I'll admit, that interference call was not as blatant as the 2nd one, but when I watched it live, before they even went to challenge, I was thinking "he can't do that"....I was thinking it would likely be called back in the NHL as well.

For the 2nd one, anyone complaining about that should simply stop watching hockey (but it may have been the first game they watched anyway). The telecast I was watching, the announcers suggested the refs will need 5 seconds with video review before they called it back...for which I agreed.

I hate when those calls happen though, even if they are the correct calls and couldn't help but think.....I hope Canada wins by at least 3 so there isn't too much complaining.....but I guess winning by 4 didn't really change any of that.

There are legitimate terrible calls all the time, especially in the past with no video review, it happens, refs are human, but the right calls were made last night, I don't get the complaints. If a Team USA fan were truly asked to be 100% honest, what would you think if Canada scored those 2 goals, which ended up being allowed and won 4-2? Rhetorical question, I know no one would be able to be honest on that.
^^ Great post. ^^

Fortunately/Unfortunately, IIHF rules are strict...

* NO contact to the head;
* Contact that brings down a player will have you sitting for two;
* Icing is called if you shoot the puck before you reach the Center Line - even if it is only a foot;
* Goaltending interference is goaltending interference.

And, you are right, if the rolls were reversed, American fans would say it was goaltending interference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tobyboy and Voight

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Are people really still crying about the IIHF crease violation and goalie interference rules? its a known fact IIHF takes it very seriously, this isn't the NHL. These games are officiated by different rules.
Exactly. Canada has been burned by IIHF rules on MANY occasions and I don't like it but it is what it is.

Reactions: Zybalto and novisor

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Not reading 84 pages - what was the "bad call" that Ryan Whitney was complaining about?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
My only complaint about this tourney is every other year it is in Canada. Need other countries to step it up on that front but having home games 1/2 the tourneys vs. rarely....Canada should be winning most of these with their roster.

2022 & 2021 were in Canada due to them being able to make it "COVID Safe" and most other country's not interested in bringing him so many foreigners for a simple hockey tournament.

2020 was in Czechia.
2023 was supposed to be in Russia but they lost it due to obvious reasons.

Does Canada host it a lot? Of course. But its the country with the most interest in said tournament and probably the most lucrative location for the IIHF.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
All the narrative posting in this thread is kind of hilarious. Was a pretty entertaining game, the players on all the teams take this tournament seriously. I believe y’all if you say that Canadian fans are the only ones who care, but I have to applaud all the players from all nations for playing their butts off. Looking forward to the rematch against Czechia tonight!

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Has a ref ever won the mvp? At least history will be made

salt-salt-intensifies.gif

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Incidental contact with the goalie is only an issue outside the crease.

Inside the crease, it doesn't matter whether contact is incidental or not. The crease is not like any other area of the ice.

Within the crease, the goalie is entitled to free and unrestricted movement to defend the net, and not to be bumped or have to fight for position with other players.

If you don't realize this, then read rule 69 in the NHL rulebook or any other rule book you might choose.

Under no circumstances can you bump the goalie, or impede his movement within the crease, and have a goal if the puck enters the net.

There's nothing ambiguous about this.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
It’s like you aren’t reading the rest of my post. I acknowledge the rule. It’s archaic and it’s not actually goalie interference. I understand by iihf rules that it’s technically goalie interference, but that’s what it is, a technicality.

It’s basically saying Jackson Blake isn’t allowed to make a hockey play in the crease even if the puck is in the crease and he’s already established position first without interfering with the goalie.
But he did interfere with the goalie. You could see that the goalie couldn't slide to the left to stop the shot because Blake prevented him from doing so. It's a blatant goalie interference. If it's the NHL, the call will be 50/50. But this is IIHF and the call would be goalie interference 100%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Qwijibo

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Uhhh this is the best time of year for it. When else can people watch the games in the middle of the day?
In terms of getting people to go to games? No. In Canada it’s more or less a part of tradition now but you can’t honestly expect anywhere else to prioritize going to games.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
The first one it is 75/25 on NHL Radio pundits whether it was a goal/no goal. The second for sure was not a goal. Regardless, US D was not good enough this competition nor was the G.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
As a Canadian, I'd rather see it in other countries as well. I think the real question is, why isn't anyone else stepping up? It's not like the IIHF would favour Canada. Pretty obvious we're just the ones willing to host it every year. I think it would be amazing if today's game was in Czechia.
That would be nice to see and a great experience for the young hockey players as well.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad