Canada final roster??

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
Those arrogant Russians........... :p:
LOL.Actually................have you heard kyle playing (i think) possum a little bit when on some conference call he told the interviewer something to the effect of "Canada has won medals in this tournament forever and i defy anyone to go in their backyard and detrone the defending champions,to me........Canada is still the favourite"

i appreciate the respect he gives us.................but methinks he is trying to take the weight of the pressure off his boys because really..................we ain't the favourites going into this sucker this year.It's the U.S.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
LOL.Actually................have you heard kyle playing (i think) possum a little bit when on some conference call he told the interviewer something to the effect of "Canada has won medals in this tournament forever and i defy anyone to go in their backyard and detrone the defending champions,to me........Canada is still the favourite"

i appreciate the respect he gives us.................but methinks he is trying to take the weight of the pressure off his boys because really..................we ain't the favourites going into this sucker this year.It's the U.S.

I think Kyle's remarks are equal parts psychological warfare and respect. The U.S. might be the "favorite," but Canada is always a contender, especially on home ice.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
I think Kyle's remarks are equal parts psychological warfare and respect. The U.S. might be the "favorite," but Canada is always a contender, especially on home ice.
Yep,that's about how i'd analyse it.
This tourney should be fun to watch,we're gonna get some good,heated games i think.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
While there are a couple of omissions IMO (Price and Setoguchi being the biggest), it's still a good TEAM. If Canada wants to win, they're going to need strong goaltending, a repeat performance from Sutter behind the bench, and a total team effort from our top forward to our 7th defenceman.

Pogge should be fine in goal. I would have liked to see Price as his back-up, but if Dubnyk gets the job done, I'm cool. I love seeing Pokuluk on the team, he's big, and he's thrived on international-sized ice before while with Notre Dame. The defence is young, but a top five of Barker, Staal, Bourdon, Russell and Parent bring a blend of talent. Barker will be our PP guy, Staal's ubber-steady, Russell and Bourdon bring multiple contributions and Parent is a terrific defensive defenceman.

On a team that could struggle to score, I would have liked to see Setoguchi, especially ahead of Pyatt. I'm not a big Steve Downie fan, I think he's a bit of a nitwit, but I think he could be this year's Jordin Tootoo: an aggressive, intense, bull in a china shop crowd pleaser with some skill. (Tootoo was never used right in 2003). I think Cogliano, Pouliot, Latendresse and Bolland will have to shoulder the load offensively. Toews is a born winner, he has thrived for Canada on the international stage, but asking him to be an offensive producer is asking a little bit much. Chipchura is the right pick for captain. He's a born leader and an excellent character player. I don't think he's quite the leader that Mike Richards was, or as good of an all-round player, but with Chipchura, leadership and character won't be a concern.

Zetterberg4Captain*

****ing Sutter. I hope Pogge and Dubnyk play like **** now.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Forsberg4ever said:
The drafting of Carey Price looks a little shakier now...they should've gone with Bourdon instead if Brule wasn't their cup of tea (not to mention his apparent fragility)

Drafting a goalthending demands patience. Price is a long-term project who won't be ready for big league action, according to Habs goalie coach Rollie Melanson, at the earliest in 2009. Also, Carey was one of the youngest players in this year's draft (August 87), so it's a little early to call his selection a shaky one, just like it's early to call it a good decision.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Kvashinator12 said:
I think it's a complete embarassment to Canada, that they put a savage POS like Downie on the team. What a disgrace.

Ditto.

I'd rather lose with quality guys I respect who deserve the honour of representing their country than win with a-holes like this. Ick.

Polulok making the team is interesting given the extremely negative reports about his play in the NCAA. Will be very interesting to see how he fares.

I figured Chucko had a spot locked up given his Sutter connections. Can't accuse anyone of bias on that front.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Pogge was impressive, and he is the kind of goalie Canada needs. (Calm in net, can face a flurry and then no activity for lengths of time).

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Kyle Chipchura said:
Drafting a goalthending demands patience. Price is a long-term project who won't be ready for big league action, according to Habs goalie coach Rollie Melanson, at the earliest in 2009. Also, Carey was one of the youngest players in this year's draft (August 87), so it's a little early to call his selection a shaky one, just like it's early to call it a good decision.

Price is a fantastic young player and he will be in the WJC mix next year after a bit more seasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad