WC: Canada at the 2010 World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Canada goes L4-W3.

Three straight loses to Sweden (3-1), Czech (3-2), Russia (5-2).

It's fair to say this team had a lot of good going for it, but also a lot of bad going for it. Mason played bad, MacT never gave Chad Johnson a chance for a full game after Mason's joke performance. The destitute look on Mac T's face seemed like he was clueless, he never brought Canada into composure in game against Russia when they were down 2-0,

People will say this is a young, inexperienced team. Alright fine, but someone has to take the blame for the poor turn out and lack of goal production. Mason for looking like a weak amateur Division II goalie, Mac T for his poor utilization of Canada's potent offence. Mason and Mac T are the one. Messier had a good thought process, but his hands are tied once the coaching staff gets into gear. Still, Messier failed to deliver strong bench leadership and for that he should never touch Team Canada again.

One would think a few years NHL management experience would be a prerequisite for managing Team Canada. Not that I want to trot out the same tired excuse, but to me the appointment of Messier demonstrated how much of a throwaway tournament Hockey Canada considers the WHC during an Olympic year.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
I do not understand how anyone can blame this poor display on Mason. We could not score at all. It is a disgrace.

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
I do not understand how anyone can blame this poor display on Mason. We could not score at all. It is a disgrace.
He was ranked worst goalie in the tournament.

The team was about 5 players and a goalie short of moving into the next level. If we could have replaced the 5 worse guys with 5 olympic
caliber players and a goalie like Cam Ward it would have made an obvious difference. Mason was not impressive but the team couldn't score either.

I don't even think we needed Olympics guys. More experienced NHL playoffs leaders would have helped a lot. You have to understand that in a tournament like this Canada doesn't even send it's best olympic hopefuls, it sends really good second or first liners who are like in the top 50 or so and eventually they Gel together. A mix of youth, this strong presence of older players, would have helped so much.

Russian's were pretty much bullying the Canadians own weakness. Give credit to them for exposing us and making us fall apart. The first 19 minutes the team was very well composed, I surely thought we could win it. Then mental breakdown all began with Stamkos and Perry the two strongest leaders on the team.

One would think a few years NHL management experience would be a prerequisite for managing Team Canada. Not that I want to trot out the same tired excuse, but to me the appointment of Messier demonstrated how much of a throwaway tournament Hockey Canada considers the WHC during an Olympic year.
I agree, it's a sad. It's like Hockey Canada likes to use experiments and embarrass themselves.

I have to comment on the TSN crew. I just got sick and tired of their spoon fed propaganda chewing up the article writer and trying to make everything "OK!" because someone criticized Crosby.

As soon as the critique of Crosby came, Hockey Canada jumped all over it, TSN jumped all over it with interviews and consistent biased opinion regarding the IIHF article as stupid. This forced Renee Fasel to apologize for an opinion in an editorial!. The same Rene Fasel who was just granted a pardon by the IOC for shady behaviour with TV rights with one of his close associates.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I'm not surprised at all. I think it was a very talented team, but it was also a very inexperienced team. I think there were six junior-eligible players. While Duchene, Tavares, Eberle, Myers and Stamkos are a big part of the program's future, it was also the first time these guys, and some others, like Marc Staal, have played on big ice beyond the junior level.

With the dearth of goaltending options, and with the inexperienced team, we needed Mason to be at his absolute best against the strong teams, and he wasn't. It's not that he played poorly, but he allowed some bad goals that were deflators.

This tournament was a learning experience for a lot of guys. A chance for them to adjust to playing the international game beyond the junior level for the first time. You hope they take something from it. But to expect more than a learning experience from this team was probably asking a little much.

As a fiercely competitive fan, it's hard for me to accept anything other than gold medal for Canada. But I knew entering the tournament that gold would have been a major surprise for this squad.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
He was ranked worst goalie in the tournament.

I don't even think we needed Olympics guys. More experienced NHL playoffs leaders would have helped a lot. You have to understand that in a tournament like this Canada doesn't even send it's best olympic hopefuls, it sends really good second or first liners who are like in the top 50 or so and eventually they Gel together. A mix of youth, this strong presence of older players, would have helped so much.

Russian's were pretty much bullying the Canadians own weakness. Give credit to them for exposing us and making us fall apart. The first 19 minutes the team was very well composed, I surely thought we could win it. Then mental breakdown all began with Stamkos and Perry the two strongest leaders on the team.

I agree, it's a sad. It's like Hockey Canada likes to use experiments and embarrass themselves.

I have to comment on the TSN crew. I just got sick and tired of their spoon fed propaganda chewing up the article writer and trying to make everything "OK!" because someone criticized Crosby.

As soon as the critique of Crosby came, Hockey Canada jumped all over it, TSN jumped all over it with interviews and consistent biased opinion regarding the IIHF article as stupid. This forced Renee Fasel to apologize for an opinion in an editorial!. The same Rene Fasel who was just granted a pardon by the IOC for shady behaviour with TV rights with one of his close associates.

So what. We still win those games against Sweden and the Czech Republic if we score as many goals as we normally do in this tournament. The fewest goals we scored before the Gold Medal game last year was 3. Our offence was our downfall this year. Not Mason.

I love that TSN is bias. I do not care how Europeans feel about our players.

Last edited:

ludger

Aug 2, 2005
I hope that this tournament is finally the end of the Oilers connection to Team Canada.

RusskiyHockey

Apr 5, 2008
russkiyhockey.wordpress.com
While the Canadians were certainly no "gorillas released out of cages" tonight, they gave a strong effort. Guys like Stamkos, Duchene, Tavares, Laich, Perry, Bourque, Burns, etc. would've been quality players on any team. It's an unfortunate shame that out of 22 NHL teams out of the playoffs when the WC started, Chris Mason was the best goalie available.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Mason wasn't great, but how many goals did Canada score against any of the good teams they played? Not nearly enough. This year kinda seemed like a throwaway year at the WC from the start, Messier as the GM with MacT behind the bench and so many young guys.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Our players just played bad, thats really all it came down to. MacT definetely didn't have a good game plan for the big ice, and the players looked like they were breaking their stick they were gripping so hard.

Poor Burns, he's just looked lost this whole tournament. He was honestly terrible.
Giordano was awful, worst I've seen him play maybe ever.
Myers looked exhausted, maybe he shouldn't have even been there, but he did not look good at all.

Moridin

Apr 8, 2007
Well.. even looking Canada's roster..

How many swedish or czech players would make that roster?

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
I'm not surprised at all. I think it was a very talented team, but it was also a very inexperienced team. I think there were six junior-eligible players. While Duchene, Tavares, Eberle, Myers and Stamkos are a big part of the program's future, it was also the first time these guys, and some others, like Marc Staal, have played on big ice beyond the junior level.

With the dearth of goaltending options, and with the inexperienced team, we needed Mason to be at his absolute best against the strong teams, and he wasn't. It's not that he played poorly, but he allowed some bad goals that were deflators.

This tournament was a learning experience for a lot of guys. A chance for them to adjust to playing the international game beyond the junior level for the first time. You hope they take something from it. But to expect more than a learning experience from this team was probably asking a little much.

As a fiercely competitive fan, it's hard for me to accept anything other than gold medal for Canada. But I knew entering the tournament that gold would have been a major surprise for this squad.

Agreed completely.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Look, its good to bring young players. But Canada went too young. A guy like James Neal should have been brought in instead of Kane or Downie. A guy like Darren Helm should have been brought instead of a Steve Ott.

For me, coaching was an epic fail, and the lack of quality wingers wasnt great either. Ive heard some people chirping Tavares for 5 on 5 play, but what do you expect from a centerman whose skating is below NHL average.

That being said, Canada's D was its biggest failure. When offence is down, people are quick to blame the forwards, but in many goals, the defense start the play. Del Zotto was awfull, Myers was the worst between Tavares, Duchene and himself, Burns was playing like a rover.

When Kyle Cumisky is one of your top 2 D, you know a team will be hardpressed.

There is some optimism. Tavares has once again shown his ability to play wing decently, get scoring chances on big ice, and most importantly, put the puck in the net. Duchene has shown his maturity for his age. Marc Giordano was impressive.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Who would have thought, Eberle and Tavares have chemistry and it took till the last 8 minutes of the game to put them together, suddenly they had some offence. Eberle, Tavares, and Duchene 2016 line!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad