WC: Canada at the 2010 World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Hardly the rematch the IIHF website is toting, what with all one of our returning Olympians.

Oh well, we can win regardless if we finally decide to play with some heart. No excuses.

It should say "rematch".

Anyway I expect the Russians to win. I just hope Canada can make a game out of it.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Coaching has been super bad, and execution has been almost as bad. This isn't a bad team, it has potential, but I don't know what they can muster for this game.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
Coaching has been super bad, and execution has been almost as bad. This isn't a bad team, it has potential, but I don't know what they can muster for this game.

Yeah. This team may be young, but it's capable of winning, but MacT + coaching... bah. Shaky goaltending and occasionally poor efforts aren't helping our case either.

LateNightOilerFan

Oct 18, 2008
Nova Scotia
I was reading in the GDT that some are on Messier and MacT for this. Well Mess didn't or doesn't have alot to work with. He got the best players avaliable to him. After watching today MacT is the problem. This team looks confused or dazed and doesn't have much sense of what they should be doing. Perry looked horrible today little to no jump and took a rather lazy penalty. The team as a whole what undiscipline.

The goaltending isn't very consistent. Mason is usually solid but he's far from it this year had a good game today though..

It's not over yet but if we face the Russian's with the same effort from today then it will be.

I don't really agree with this. Messier stated right from the start he wanted a young team. I know a lot of players declined but you can't tell me all the available Canadian goalies (20-25 of them) declined. I think he had a specific type of team in mind and then when he realized he wasn't getting all the players he wanted it was too late to ask some of the others.

Not excusing MacT either, but I don't think Messier gets a free pass.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I really don't believe other goalies all said no

i mean com on Mason, Dubnyk and freakin ocho cinco?

I agree.

I cannot believe that those were the best goalies they could get. Mason deserves to be there, but neither Dubnyk or Johnson do.

I would've taken any of these goalies over those two:

Jose Theodore
Brian Elliott
Josh Harding
Jeff Deslauriers
Jonathan Bernier
Pascal Leclaire
Mike Smith
Dan Ellis
Yann Danis
Jason LaBarbera
Mathieu Garon
Alex Auld

Golden Jet

Dec 19, 2006
Winnipeg
Everybody knows the QF's is when this tourney really starts and anything can happen in a one game scenario. If Canada can play a complete team game they have a chance to make it to the semis which is pretty good considering their current performance in this tourney.

droller*

Did Messier really think they would do well?

I was skeptical when I saw the roster selection, but did Messier honestly expect this team to do well? If so, this guy is in a world of his own.

How on earth can you win at the professional/world level when your roster is made up of 2007 - 2009 WJC players?

You have a deep player pool Mess, these kids weren't ready yet.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
You have a deep player pool Mess, these kids weren't ready yet.

but some of them will be strong candidates for 2014, which is the tournament Canada cares about winning. Why not get them some international experience and see what they can do. Hockey Canada has really started using the world championships as sort of a proving ground for players in consideration for the olympic team.

FruityPants3*

As a player who spent his last decade of playing career washed up and captaining perennial losers, he was probably hesitant of adding similar players to his roster.

fuechsken

Sep 19, 2009
Mannheim, Germany
I don't mind. This way I saw half of the first round of the 2009 Draft in the Canada-Sweden game.
But I agree with you that there are too many young players on the team. The team just lacks international experience.

Zaphod

Mar 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Messier-MacTavish didn't strike me as a formula for putting together and effecting a winning team, but I suppose for a lot of of these guys its "the experience" - but Canada has a deep enough pool that you have to figure they could get "the experience" and be "competitive."

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Messier-MacTavish didn't strike me as a formula for putting together and effecting a winning team, but I suppose for a lot of of these guys its "the experience" - but Canada has a deep enough pool that you have to figure they could get "the experience" and be "competitive."

These tournaments are how Canada weeds out the weak management/coaching personal. If you win you may get another chance at assembling another Team Canada and eventually an assistant GM/coach role at the Olympics, and a performance like this means the next candidate(s) receives his turn to shine.

Belak Attack

:walrus:
Mar 26, 2010
Toronto, Canadia.
It's not like a ton of the Veteran players WANTED to come back. Either it was a long season, or they just got out of the playoffs, or they were injured. Messier went with what was available. Good, bad, or otherwise.

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
Canada goes L4-W3.

Three straight loses to Sweden (3-1), Czech (3-2), Russia (5-2).

It's fair to say this team had a lot of good going for it, but also a lot of bad going for it. Mason played bad, MacT never gave Chad Johnson a chance for a full game after Mason's joke performance. The destitute look on Mac T's face seemed like he was clueless, he never brought Canada into composure in game against Russia when they were down 2-0,

People will say this is a young, inexperienced team. Alright fine, but someone has to take the blame for the poor turn out and lack of goal production. Mason for looking like a weak amateur Division II goalie, Mac T for his poor utilization of Canada's potent offence. Mason and Mac T are the one. Messier had a good thought process, but his hands are tied once the coaching staff gets into gear. Still, Messier failed to deliver strong bench leadership and for that he should never touch Team Canada again.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
The team was about 5 players and a goalie short of moving into the next level. If we could have replaced the 5 worse guys with 5 olympic caliber players and a goalie like Cam Ward it would have made an obvious difference. Mason was not impressive but the team couldn't score either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad