WC: Canada at the 2010 World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

HackandLube

Dec 7, 2005
As far as the WCH not being mentioned in the meda. It's clearly covered on the CBC website, and TSN. The two biggest ice hockey sports contributers in Canada.

Sure it's mentioned on websites, but nowhere near as high profile as the playoffs which overshadow them completely. You rarely see WCH or interntional highlights leading off a sports show. I tune into TSN after playoff games and watch Hockey Night in Canada and they never mention the IIHF or show any clips. It's all NHL.

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
Well, no, not to the level of the Stanley Cup, but it's pretty good coverage. Also, TSN splashes the advertisements all over the front page. The tournament is covered well and advertised well on TSN, even during the playoffs.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
Well, we should also add to the fact that the IIHF didn't make many friends in Canada by not allowing them to send their best players to the WCH for quite some years. The Olympics I understand/understod, as it was the same across all sports, not only hockey, even though the Soviet Union and DDR had found ways to circum navigate the system with all their "military employees" coming out for swimming, skiing, running, basketball, hockey, etc.

Another reason, that I have posted elsewhere, is that Rome wasn't built in one day, so given that the WCH will not ever be the major deal in Canada... just like it's not in Sweden, I can imagine that the WCH would gain a little bit more popularity if people could watch the games in a decent hour. This means of course allowing the USA and Canada the opportunity to host it every four, five years. As of now (and I live in the States), there is plenty of airtime for IIHF hockey (compared to two weeks ago), and if the games were on in the evenings, with Team Canada and/ot Team USA going into the QFs, the odds of having more TV audience would be better. Even if it wouldn't have the same following as the SC play-offs, a small percentage would still be a significant bump considering the large populations here.

I also agree with the idea that the WCH would have to be held in the summer to have a chance of attracting better players, but realistically I don't see how it would happen. The Euro leagues have been down for so long by then and the NHL pros still have to get some R&R after playing 82 games + play-offs. But, to your point, the FIFA World Cup would NEVER happen or have the following it does if they held it in the fall, winter, or spring when all the big leagues in Europe and South America are going full speed ahead.

Most of all, I think people forget that we are still talking about people who are also fathers, sons, brothers, uncles, and regular human beings with a sense of family and community obligations that they have to set aside for the better part of the year becasue it is their job to do so.

The WCH is and will forever be a "goodwill" tournament from the players, and, asking people to neglect their kids, get themsleves into divorces, not do everything they can to make certain that they report back in their best possible shape when work begins again in the fall, and ignore areas of life where they can make a difference (such as in community organizations, hospitals, etc.), is rather thoughtless, IMO.

At any rate, you guys seemed almost harder on the Canadian players than I ever thought you'd be. If anything, I thought Canadians would have better understanding and empathy to why their guys decline than the European fans, who many times have no understanding for why a guy can play in the play-offs, get knocked out, and then decline the national team call becasue of injury. In one scenario, he is working and fullfilling a contract, and injury is no excuse for not coming to work. In the other scenario, he is enjoying competetive recreation.

Anyway, interesting conversation.

Last edited:

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
Sure it's mentioned on websites, but nowhere near as high profile as the playoffs which overshadow them completely. You rarely see WCH or interntional highlights leading off a sports show. I tune into TSN after playoff games and watch Hockey Night in Canada and they never mention the IIHF or show any clips. It's all NHL.

Now, isn't HNIC an NHL production, or is it CBC's creation?
Given that the IIHF and the NHL compete for the almighty buck, I wouldn't think the NHL or the CHL have too much interest in providing any opportunity for the IIHF to advancing its marker in the Canadian market?

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Maybe you should get the whole story, CarlWinslow, before making a statement like that, towards a player who has never done anything in his career to lose anyone's respect. Here are the facts:

It's true, Martin St. Louis politely declined an invitation to play for Canada at the World Championships because his three children were still in school and he wanted to spend more time with them and help his wife out at the same time.

HOWEVER, another reason why Marty would not go to the World Championships this year is because he made a promise, a few months ago, to several young children who have terminal cancer, that he would come back and see them in their respective hospitals and/or homes, as well as personally attend a hockey game, put together by the kids' parents, where a few of the kids would be playing in a pickup hockey game for perhaps the last time in their lives.

One of those kids is my son, who put Marty on the spot back when he met with him 3 or 4 months ago by flat-out asking him if he would come back to watch them play in that hockey game. Marty never hesitated in saying "Well, sure, but only if my team doesn't make the playoffs or is no longer in the playoffs." Of course, we all thought he was just being nice and didn't want to let the kids down by saying "No", but we never thought we'd see or hear from him again.

Well, Marty proved us wrong. He kept his promise, and now my son has memories that will help keep a smile on his face for the rest of his likely-shortened life.

So maybe, just maybe, you should do your homework before throwing a guy like Marty St. Louis under the bus, CarlWinslow. I agree with the other poster in that Marty doesn't owe Canada anything; he's already given a great deal to his country and, more importantly, given much more than was asked of himself to my son and his peers - all at the expense of proudly playing for his country once again, and risk being called out by people like you, insinuating that he doesn't care enough to go play at the World Championships.

Still losing respect for Martin St. Louis, CarlWinslow? I should hope not.

St Louis has always been a favourite of mine and this just makes him more so.

I don't blame St Louis for not going;he obviously had somethng more important to attend to.

confuxion

May 9, 2010
Great contribution!!

A player has to gain my respect before he can lose it.

Thanks for giving us the two-year-old perspective on that one, Drij. Of course, the only reason I'm even responding to your comment (which, by the way, wasn't even directed at you, if you hadn't noticed) is to make sure that you stated things exactly the way you wanted to:

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Martin St. Louis has never done anything to gain my respect in the first place.

What has he done to gain my respect in the first place.

A player has to have my respect in order to loss it.

Anybody who needs 3 tries at editing a meaningless post must really think they have something important to say, so thank you very little for that!

As for pointing out why I disagree with your statement, I doubt you're even old enough to remember the 2003-04 NHL season, so I won't bother.

confuxion

May 9, 2010
St Louis has always been a favourite of mine and this just makes him more so.

I don't blame St Louis for not going;he obviously had somethng more important to attend to.

Good on ya, pepty!! I couldn't agree more. :)

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
For most average Canadians, hockey IS the NHL. International tournaments have always held little importance and people historically did not care as much. The Olympics were not even regarded as interesting by most average Canadians until NHL players started appearing and Canada won the first gold medal in 50 years. WCH games are also not broadcast on PrimeTime television due to them being played in Europe and the time difference, therefore few people get to watch them.

The World Juniors, on the other hand, attract great interest & ratings in Canada

hestolltheshow

Jul 14, 2007
The World Juniors, on the other hand, attract great interest & ratings in Canada

That's because they are the "best" young Canadian players...or the future of our game...and the interest is there to ensure that the future is looking good, which is the exact opposite for the World Championships. I know there are a few of the "best of the best" Canadian Jr guys that dont play the World Junior tourny b/c they are good enough to make their respective NHL teams...but you get the point.

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
Now, isn't HNIC an NHL production, or is it CBC's creation?
Given that the IIHF and the NHL compete for the almighty buck, I wouldn't think the NHL or the CHL have too much interest in providing any opportunity for the IIHF to advancing its marker in the Canadian market?

HNIC is CBC's product, but they don't air any IIHF games (not even the Olympics anymore) so of course they're not going to promote the world championships. They don't ignore it though, between periods of an HNIC game they'll show highlights of Canada's game, for example.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
HNIC is CBC's product, but they don't air any IIHF games (not even the Olympics anymore) so of course they're not going to promote the world championships. They don't ignore it though, between periods of an HNIC game they'll show highlights of Canada's game, for example.

I see. It makes sense. HNIC is a 1st class production catering to hockey fans, so I find it kinda cool that the IIHF, which really is a seasonal fund raiser, gets on.

Again, it's hard for me to see how anything could really catch on when it's broadcasted on such inconvenient hours. Let's face it, if it wasn't hockey, who would care about the 10:30 am or 2 pm slot?

Also, is it CBC that owns TSN, or is TSN somehow an ABC production (sure looks like ESPN but don't know how ABC could operate in Canada)?

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
TSN is owned by CTV(80%) and ESPN(20%) > ESPN is owned by Disney > Disney owns ABC.

CanadaRules*

TSN is owned by CTV(80%) and ESPN(20%) > ESPN is owned by Disney > Disney owns ABC.
Disney owns pretty much all of the major broadcasting corporations. Old Mr. Disney is a pretty poor guy

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
Another loss for Canada. Even though the roster was a bit lack luster i thought at the very least we'd be able to beat one of the better teams, atleast one of them. Its not looking good. It seems to me like 90% of the passes are just getting turned over or just completly misses the receiver, theres no chemistry out there.

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006
All is far from being lost for Canada!

All the Canadian team needs is for Mark Messier to guarantee the next win a la New Jersey and we'll be all set.

:yo:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Why Mason started today, I'll never know. He's had a terrible tournament, posting just a .899 SV%.

Johnson hasn't played much, but at this point, he's has to least be considered to start against Russia.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Mason didn't play bad today, Their defense played poor and kept giving away turns overs. Eberle himself proved why hes an oiler today with his poor play. Stamkos had a poor game also.

CanadaRules*

Why Mason started today, I'll never know. He's had a terrible tournament, posting just a .899 SV%.

Johnson hasn't played much, but at this point, he's has to least be considered to start against Russia.
Did you watch the game today? If you watched any of it, I can guarantee that you wouldn't be making statements like this. Mason kept us in the game.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I was reading in the GDT that some are on Messier and MacT for this. Well Mess didn't or doesn't have alot to work with. He got the best players avaliable to him. After watching today MacT is the problem. This team looks confused or dazed and doesn't have much sense of what they should be doing. Perry looked horrible today little to no jump and took a rather lazy penalty. The team as a whole what undiscipline.

The goaltending isn't very consistent. Mason is usually solid but he's far from it this year had a good game today though..

It's not over yet but if we face the Russian's with the same effort from today then it will be.

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
Russia vs Canada QF again. We're going to get killed with Mac Tavish. The sad thing is, this team is capable of defeating the Russians. :laugh:
I really hope I eat my own words.

Belak Attack

:walrus:
Mar 26, 2010
Toronto, Canadia.

Buddy has how much NHL experience, and you want him to play against a STACKED Russian team? I'll go with the experienced NHL goalie, thank you.

Villert

Dec 29, 2009
Russia vs Canada QF again. We're going to get killed with Mac Tavish. The sad thing is, this team is capable of defeating the Russians. :laugh:
I really hope I eat my own words.

Hardly the rematch the IIHF website is toting, what with all one of our returning Olympians.

Oh well, we can win regardless if we finally decide to play with some heart. No excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad