WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
Nice, thanks for that. Their projected invite list looks very similar to what I expect. Almost the exact same. I like Sportsnet's projection better than what TSN (mainly Button) put out. Button has guys like Quenneville and Kaspick on the team and I am hoping that he is wrong.

Totally agree with you about that. Think their prediction is really close. Button's looked a bit off to me too, especially Kaspick....and no Tippett?!

Sportsnet have Joseph making camp at D which is interesting. Didn't see that one coming but it makes sense looking forward to next year and helping HC add to the QMJHL representation in this year's roster.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Totally agree with you about that. Think their prediction is really close. Button's looked a bit off to me too, especially Kaspick....and no Tippett?!

Sportsnet have Joseph making camp at D which is interesting. Didn't see that one coming but it makes sense looking forward to next year and helping HC add to the QMJHL representation in this year's roster.

He's a good player, I don't really like his defence. It's nice to have players with experience next year but I hope and expect that they will just focus on winning this year. I doubt that Hockey Canada cares a lot of about getting QMJHL players onto the roster, though I know that such a theory exists.

Flyguy1ca

Nov 25, 2017
Sportsnets list is good, but no Cody Glass? Also would like to see Cholowski, Durzi, and Fortier get looks.

Last edited:

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
What about Morgan Frost? From what I see, it does not seem that Canada is going to be that much stacked upfront and Frost is having very good season so far. 36 points in 25 games, 22 points in his last 12 games.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
What about Morgan Frost? From what I see, it does not seem that Canada is going to be that much stacked upfront and Frost is having very good season so far. 36 points in 25 games, 22 points in his last 12 games.
Most impressively, Frost has a +26 in those 25 games. He's certainly making a case for himself, but it's an awfully crowded field on forward for this team.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I think Canada has got to go with quick players this time around. I also like Sportsnet's projection more than TSN's, but I don't see 10 D and 20 F. Probably less D than 10, looks like the same names from summer camp. Should be OHL forwards and WHL defencemen. My projection roster is looking something like:

Kyrou-Steel-Raddysh
Rasmussen-Thomas-Lind
Dube-McLeod-Tippett
Comtois-Pu-Ang
Glass

Clague-Timmins
Mahura-Fabbro
Cholowski-Makar
Bean

Hart
Dipietro

I can't see guys like Gadjovich, Katchouk, Kaspick, Howden, Steenbergen on the team. Either too slow or too sloppy, Katchouk can make some braindead plays if you watched him in the Super Series, Gadjovich isn't quick enough and if you want a big grit guy go with Comtois, Rasmussen, or Raddysh before that, they bring more. Kaspick and Howden are good big, mobile forwards who can lug and skate, but I just think they get beat out by other bigger, better guys. There's only so much room for big forwards just like small forwards IMO, you need a bit of everything honestly. In 2015, we had a big 4th line, Crouse/Gauthier/Ritchie, that worked well, 3 big guys. This year might be different but 3-4 looks like a good number for big forwards. And those other spots are for guys who can skate like Ang, Pu, McLeod, Thomas. Quick skaters who move their feet and push the pace, not just quick skaters who can't make a play. Thomas is strong on the puck, Pu is strong, Ang has speed to burn and a great shot. Speed, size, and skill. Glass, I don't know where he fits, but he's got good hockey sense and played well with Lind and Rasmussen.

Defensively, the top 5 is set for me. Clague, Fabbro and Makar will be on the team. The first 2 weren't great last year, but they have a pedigree of winning against their own age group and they are at maximum age now. Clague looks to have stepped ahead of Fabbro, he's stronger and quicker. Fabbro still has that reliable hockey sense ability. Makar, that dynamic ability will be a threat once he gets comfortable. Timmins and Mahura, we need 2 guys like this, puck-movers, decent size and they can skate all over the ice. We shouldn't be outskated defensively with these 5 guys. Cholowski, reliable mobile defensive-focused player, he gives a good balance. Bean because he wont get cut.

I wanted to ask what do people think of guys like Pu, Thomas, and Ang? I don't know about how others feel, but I like these 3 guys, non-stop motor, strong, quick, and skill.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

I like him, but for this year, given he has zero Hockey Canada experience (not even an invite to Hlinka camp where they bring in just about everybody) I would have to say his chances are not good. He may not even be in the running for next year's team..but once we start losing players to the NHL, he moves up.

There's a new chief scout at HC, so he may have a different take on player evaluations and how teams are put together. This year's U20 will be his first kick at the can. curious as to how different he is than the 2 previous morons who held the position.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Canada doesn't have that one obvious star up front but there is a ton of depth which is going to make it an uphill battle for him to make the team at all.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Seems pretty unlikely to me. Good points and draft stock, but Katchouk is outscoring him on his own team and it is tough to get a centre spot. He didn't stand out at the super series.

I think Canada has got to go with quick players this time around. I also like Sportsnet's projection more than TSN's, but I don't see 10 D and 20 F. Probably less D than 10, looks like the same names from summer camp. Should be OHL forwards and WHL defencemen. My projection roster is looking something like:

Kyrou-Steel-Raddysh
Rasmussen-Thomas-Lind
Dube-McLeod-Tippett
Comtois-Pu-Ang
Glass

Clague-Timmins
Mahura-Fabbro
Cholowski-Makar
Bean

Hart
Dipietro

I can't see guys like Gadjovich, Katchouk, Kaspick, Howden, Steenbergen on the team. Either too slow or too sloppy, Katchouk can make some braindead plays if you watched him in the Super Series, Gadjovich isn't quick enough and if you want a big grit guy go with Comtois, Rasmussen, or Raddysh before that, they bring more. Kaspick and Howden are good big, mobile forwards who can lug and skate, but I just think they get beat out by other bigger, better guys. There's only so much room for big forwards just like small forwards IMO, you need a bit of everything honestly. In 2015, we had a big 4th line, Crouse/Gauthier/Ritchie, that worked well, 3 big guys. This year might be different but 3-4 looks like a good number for big forwards. And those other spots are for guys who can skate like Ang, Pu, McLeod, Thomas. Quick skaters who move their feet and push the pace, not just quick skaters who can't make a play. Thomas is strong on the puck, Pu is strong, Ang has speed to burn and a great shot. Speed, size, and skill. Glass, I don't know where he fits, but he's got good hockey sense and played well with Lind and Rasmussen.

Defensively, the top 5 is set for me. Clague, Fabbro and Makar will be on the team. The first 2 weren't great last year, but they have a pedigree of winning against their own age group and they are at maximum age now. Clague looks to have stepped ahead of Fabbro, he's stronger and quicker. Fabbro still has that reliable hockey sense ability. Makar, that dynamic ability will be a threat once he gets comfortable. Timmins and Mahura, we need 2 guys like this, puck-movers, decent size and they can skate all over the ice. We shouldn't be outskated defensively with these 5 guys. Cholowski, reliable mobile defensive-focused player, he gives a good balance. Bean because he wont get cut.

I wanted to ask what do people think of guys like Pu, Thomas, and Ang? I don't know about how others feel, but I like these 3 guys, non-stop motor, strong, quick, and skill.

I understand the logic of your team design and I think your roster is pretty close to what we will see, but I have to think that Glass will (and should) be given a more prominent role. Team speed is great but talent and especially hockey sense are most important. Glass seems to have really turned it up scoring wise recently (44 points in 23 games) and should have a more prominent spot, even if at RW. I also can't see Suzuki getting cut. One of Canada's best scorers and one of the best players in the super series. I think he takes one of your centre spots, probably from Pu.

As for your question about Pu, Thomas and Ang, I really like Ang and Pu. Both are great skaters and at this point are scoring well and seem defensively responsible. Thomas has a lot of positive talk surrounding him and McKenzie thinks that he is probably a lock so he will likely be there. I haven't seen much of him though.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I would put Morgan Frost's chances at making the team very low. For a player that has never been on Hockey Canada's radar, I think he would need to be jumping off the page at this point to have a chance.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Dube-Jost-Raddysh
Suzuki-Steel-Ang
Lind-McCleod-Tippett
Gadjovich-Comtois-Kaspick
Kyrou

Clague-Makar
Cholowski-Fabbro
Foote-Bean
Timmins

Hart
DiPietro
Harvey

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Seems pretty unlikely to me. Good points and draft stock, but Katchouk is outscoring him on his own team and it is tough to get a centre spot. He didn't stand out at the super series.

I understand the logic of your team design and I think your roster is pretty close to what we will see, but I have to think that Glass will (and should) be given a more prominent role. Team speed is great but talent and especially hockey sense are most important. Glass seems to have really turned it up scoring wise recently (44 points in 23 games) and should have a more prominent spot, even if at RW. I also can't see Suzuki getting cut. One of Canada's best scorers and one of the best players in the super series. I think he takes one of your centre spots, probably from Pu.

As for your question about Pu, Thomas and Ang, I really like Ang and Pu. Both are great skaters and at this point are scoring well and seem defensively responsible. Thomas has a lot of positive talk surrounding him and McKenzie thinks that he is probably a lock so he will likely be there. I haven't seen much of him though.
I like Glass a lot, but it seems like the players who have best success at the junior level are quick and strong, 2 characteristics I don't think Glass has at this point. He did well at the Super Series though with Lind and Rasmussen, seemed like the more mature player and the smartest player on that line. Maybe he could fit in a similar role this year and succeeds. Suzuki sort of falls in the same category, not big, not that fast, but good hockey sense. I don't know yet, comparing him to Ang or Pu, those 2 seem much quicker and stronger with the puck. Same with Kyrou, much quicker than Suzuki. I guess the "safe" pick would be Suzuki and Glass on the team because of their pedigree and production, but both 18 compared to older, stronger players like Ang and Pu.

My point about speed was more so, quicker players with hockey sense rather than bigger players with hockey sense. IMO, I wouldn't have the big FWDs most people have. We have a luxury of big forwards this year, but I don't think taking all of them is the right play either.

I'd be curious to see your projection at this point and see what most people are thinking a month out.

Dube-Jost-Raddysh
Suzuki-Steel-Ang
Lind-McCleod-Tippett
Gadjovich-Comtois-Kaspick
Kyrou

Clague-Makar
Cholowski-Fabbro
Foote-Bean
Timmins

Hart
DiPietro
Harvey
Not bad. I think Kyrou probably takes a bigger role, he was a leader at summer camp, Thomas is probably on the team. I haven't liked Foote's game at all, too passive for me.

Reactions: tfantasy

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This is my roster as of now. Of course the camp remains and will be a big factor in the final roster.

Raddysh Steel Kyrou
Dube Glass Lind
Katchouk Suzuki Tippett
Howden McLeod Pu
Thomas

Clague Timmins
Mahura Fabbro
Cholowski Makar
Bouchard

Hart
Harvey
DiPietro

At forward Steel had a tremendous season and should have made the team last year. I am a bit put off by his lack of scoring so far this year, but he looked fine in the super series. Kyrou is having a great year, is a great skater and is a lock. Good history representing Canada in the past too. Reddysh isn't a lock for me (though I think he probably is for Hockey Canada) but he is a smart offensive player who looked good in his super series game, and experience isn't bad. I don't think that Raddysh was particularly good last year or that he is a good fit for Ducharme's style. Glass is another must, and I wanted to put two guys with good motors with him. Dube and Lind already play together and are having good years, Dube is returning, it seems to fit for me. Suzuki is another cornerstone, and I wanted some size with him. Tippett is probably the most pure goal scorer on the roster and I like his speed. Katchouk is having a good year, has good size and he can PK. McLeod is not a lock for me, and I don't think that he should have made the team last year, but he is an elite skater and is good defensively so this is a good spot for him. Pu is a player that I suspect is very well suited to Ducharme's style of play, and his elite skating and solid defensive abilities fit the line. Howden is just a decent utility player who can slot into a few roles but won't carry the team or a line, and he at least has looked good for Canada before at the U18 level. If I had a guarantee that he would be healthy, I would probably put Benson in that spot. The fourth line takes tough assignments and the players play on the PK. Thomas seems like a versatile forward who can fill in most roles on the team. I strongly considered Benson, Gadjovich and Ang, somewhat Steenbergen. In order to fit Ducharme's style I wanted each line to have at least one fast player with an active motor, as this is what Ducharme's forward play like in junior.

On defence I just mostly picked the top players. Clague seems to be the top Canadian defenceman in junior this year so he makes it comfortably. Timmins seems like a good all around player and I liked his play in the super series. All pairings are also lefty righty, which is nice but not 100% required. Fabbro is solid though I found him mediocre last year. It's nice to have some experience in addition to Clague. Mahura is solid but I could see him getting dropped. Makar is at least smart and very mobile, which I am looking for after the failed attempts to clear the Canadian zone last year, and I respect his performance at the WJAC. Cholowski I was skeptical about, but I have watched him a bit this year and he is solid defensively and can move the puck well through the neutral zone. Bouchard is the last pick as a guy who can just slot into any role and not look out of place. It's nice that he can return next year too, though that isn't the deciding factor. I would have liked a big defenceman or two, but I don't like any of the available options. I expect that Hockey Canada will think differently. I didn't seriously consider anyone else.

Hart is the clear starter. Harvey was apparently really good in the super series and is having a good year, so I picked him. DiPietro is having a good year as well and he can gain some experience for next year. I really dislike Hockey Canada's two goaltender policy, since I see nothing lost by taking the third, so I picked three.

I expect that Hockey Canada will definitely add Bean and at least one of Foote/Stanley. At forward I think that there is a good chance that Rasmussen is added, but it is difficult to predict. A lot depends on camp performance. A very important factor, to me at least, is that Ducharme likes to play a very fast game with lots of pressure. He had a lot of success in Halifax playing that way and I suspect that he would like to do that again. The big defencemen don't really fit that style, and Bean is just terrible. At forward I can see guys like Ang and Formenton as guys who could thrive in Ducharme's system. It will be interesting to see what happens at camp and if anyone is released from the NHL. I am not expecting any players to be released.

Reactions: Hagstrom

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I like Glass a lot, but it seems like the players who have best success at the junior level are quick and strong, 2 characteristics I don't think Glass has at this point. He did well at the Super Series though with Lind and Rasmussen, seemed like the more mature player and the smartest player on that line. Maybe he could fit in a similar role this year and succeeds. Suzuki sort of falls in the same category, not big, not that fast, but good hockey sense. I don't know yet, comparing him to Ang or Pu, those 2 seem much quicker and stronger with the puck. Same with Kyrou, much quicker than Suzuki. I guess the "safe" pick would be Suzuki and Glass on the team because of their pedigree and production, but both 18 compared to older, stronger players like Ang and Pu.

My point about speed was more so, quicker players with hockey sense rather than bigger players with hockey sense. IMO, I wouldn't have the big FWDs most people have. We have a luxury of big forwards this year, but I don't think taking all of them is the right play either.

I understand where you are coming from but there has to be caution about overthinking things. I think that you pick your best players, generally centres, and then use the remaining picks to complement those best players and implement the team's plan. This is generally what Canada does at the highest level and it works. Glass and Suzuki are the kind of players that need to carry the play for Canada. I see Pu and Ang more as guys who should be used to compensate for whatever weakness those guys have, not as replacements for them. I also don't see Ang as providing a size advantage over either Suzuki or Glass. Physical abilities like speed and size are very useful utility traits but hockey sense and skill are the primary things I look for when finding core players.

Reactions: cg98

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Raddysh Steel Kyrou
Dube Glass Lind
Katchouk Suzuki Tippett
Howden McLeod Pu
Thomas

Clague Timmins
Mahura Fabbro
Cholowski Makar
Bouchard

Hart
Harvey
DiPietro
I like your top 6. I don't know who the 7th should be, I also think it's likely Stanley or Foote get in there, but I hope they go with the best player. Howden is a good pick. It'll be interesting to see the camp roster, a lot of guys are on the borderline like Formenton, Frost, Gadjovich, I don't expect HC to bring 30 fwds, but they have to draw a borderline somewhere.

I wonder how much an Ivan Hlinka pedigree means to management. '99 group didn't want anything, '98 group won gold, but Mete, Girard, Patrick, Jost and Dubois are missing. You can look at the 2015 WJC Canadian team, most of their WJC team came from their Ivan Hlinka roster 2 years prior like Domi, Duclair, Reinhart, Lazar, Morrissey, Bowey, Theodore, Nurse. I think it's important to get the Ivan Hlinka players who were successful also be added to the WJC team like Steel, Kyrou, Dube, McLeod, Howden, Clague, Mahura, Fabbro. Maybe Tyler Benson? He was great at Ivan Hlinka, but he has injury problems. He's playing well this year in the WHL and he's healthy, I wonder if he makes the team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I like your top 6. I don't know who the 7th should be, I also think it's likely Stanley or Foote get in there, but I hope they go with the best player. Howden is a good pick. It'll be interesting to see the camp roster, a lot of guys are on the borderline like Formenton, Frost, Gadjovich, I don't expect HC to bring 30 fwds, but they have to draw a borderline somewhere.

I wonder how much an Ivan Hlinka pedigree means to management. '99 group didn't want anything, '98 group won gold, but Mete, Girard, Patrick, Jost and Dubois are missing. You can look at the 2015 WJC Canadian team, most of their WJC team came from their Ivan Hlinka roster 2 years prior like Domi, Duclair, Reinhart, Lazar, Morrissey, Bowey, Theodore, Nurse. I think it's important to get the Ivan Hlinka players who were successful also be added to the WJC team like Steel, Kyrou, Dube, McLeod, Howden, Clague, Mahura, Fabbro. Maybe Tyler Benson? He was great at Ivan Hlinka, but he has injury problems. He's playing well this year in the WHL and he's healthy, I wonder if he makes the team.

I think that the teams typically feature the Hlinka player, as that is the U18 tournament when most of Canada's best play. Benson is a guy I would pick for a fourth line role if I knew that he would be healthy. That guy seems to always be injured. He is suited to the role though. There are many potential players for the depth spots. I expect speedy players to get those spots but who knows.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Lind has been out now for a couple weeks due to "Strepthroat" ... hopefully its not Mono.

Depending on his physical state, this might cost him his shot at the WJC especially if he hasnt been doing any activities as of late.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Lind has been out now for a couple weeks due to "Strepthroat" ... hopefully its not Mono.

Depending on his physical state, this might cost him his shot at the WJC especially if he hasnt been doing any activities as of late.

He probably had the best super series out of anyone so that will help his chances if its actually just strep throat.

I feel like there are just so many bubble forwards trying out for this team, Lind was one of the few to really stand out in the super series but now hes got sick. But a bunch of guys seem like they could be solid additions to the team but will depend on how they do at the camp now because no one is really separating themselves. I feel like usually the team can be predicted except for maybe 2 forward spots and one D up for grabs. This year I feel like theres 6 forward spots and a couple D slots at least that arent completely spoken for yet.

The camp will be big for a lot of these guys

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
He probably had the best super series out of anyone so that will help his chances if its actually just strep throat.

I feel like there are just so many bubble forwards trying out for this team, Lind was one of the few to really stand out in the super series but now hes got sick. But a bunch of guys seem like they could be solid additions to the team but will depend on how they do at the camp now because no one is really separating themselves. I feel like usually the team can be predicted except for maybe 2 forward spots and one D up for grabs. This year I feel like theres 6 forward spots and a couple D slots at least that arent completely spoken for yet.

The camp will be big for a lot of these guys

3 things thats Lind has going for him ..

1. Very veru strong start to thr WHL season

2. He was one of if not the best forward in the subway series

3. Team Canada might see him and Dube as a package deal as they have chemistry playing in Kelowna together. In a short tourny such as WJC, chemistry is a huge factor

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Formentons got wheels. Not one Russian player could catch him when they played OHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad