Can we now confirm that Crosby was saving himself for the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
wow an art ross 5 years ago surrounded by sub 90 point seasons. if that's what's considered a super star than mcdavid must really be jesus.

Lol he won the goal title just last year bro. Finished 3rd in scoring overall. The year before that, finished 3rd in scoring. The year before that, 3rd in scoring. The year before that, #1. This year, 10th.

If finishing top 10 - and most years top 3- in scoring isn't a superstar, then I guess for you only the art ross winner is a star.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
If people wanna say he's not the best any more that's fine and I'd even agree with that. But to say he's not a star any more is nonsense.

He's not as good as Mcdavid, but he's still really really good and better than just about everyone else.

Plus Crosby entered the league with Ovie and Malkin competing with him for hardware. McDavid's gonna be up against the 30 year old versions of that trio and no young player of McD's generation can compete with him IMO.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Plus Crosby entered the league with Ovie and Malkin competing with him for hardware. McDavid's gonna be up against the 30 year old versions of that trio and no young player of McD's generation can compete with him IMO.

We'll see how that develops with the Jack Hughes'of the world etc coming but yeah Crosby had two peers in Ovie/Malkin and so far Mcdavid has none. If Mcdavid can stay healthy he's got a great shot to have the type of Art Ross dominance we haven't seen since Lemieux. And that's really cool to me as a hockey fan. I'm a Pens fan but I love seeing great players.

If Mcdavid's idiot GM can build a team around him he might surpass even Sid's legacy.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I honestly think he looked better in this series than he did in that one. And, to be fair, you can't discount the game where he went pointless. It was 14 in 6.
To be fair, in 2010 he undeservedly wasn't given an assist on one of the goals in game 6, even though he won the faceoff to the primary assister, which would have been 15 points. Call it the reverse McDavid.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
We'll see how that develops with the Jack Hughes'of the world etc coming but yeah Crosby had two peers in Ovie/Malkin and so far Mcdavid has none. If Mcdavid can stay healthy he's got a great shot to have the type of Art Ross dominance we haven't seen since Lemieux. And that's really cool to me as a hockey fan. I'm a Pens fan but I love seeing great players.

If Mcdavid's idiot GM can build a team around him he might surpass even Sid's legacy.
Good joke. Pens are flat out the best playoff team in the league. I'd argue Vegas but they are too unproven. Still, Sid's team cannot be beat and have won 9/9 last playoff series. Sid has won everything there is to win except the Selke and the voters are pushing hard for him to win so by 37 or so he will get 1. McDavid can have a perfect career and he won't even come close in the winning aspect. He can get 10 straight Ross's but he will never match the team accomplishments.

Reactions: bert

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Holy crap, they think someone will give a crap about their opinions in some years for a loser?
In 10 years there will be many more Penguin Championships.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Scoring finishes last 5 seasons. 1st 3rd 3rd 2nd 10th

But yeah haseht been a star in a decade haha

When another player get 89 pts in a season..theres countless threads about being a future star. Crosby does it and his career is over. Lol.

Always steps up in the playoffs..and puts up close to 90 points in regular season giving 70% effort. People that actually watch all 82 games know this. Instead of just checking the box score and seeing a handful of games.

Crosby had his years earlier in his career for regular season hardware. 3-4 of those years ruined by injuries. Hes 30 now..and cups are more important.

These same handful of people will continue to look for ways to downplay..obsessed. now the excuse is its Philly. Next round.."pens always beat caps" next round... " bruins had injuries all year". Finals.. " Jets have no experience". Or whatever team we play if we get that far. There will always be something. And what they dont realize...Pens fans love this.

The fact people are even in here trying to downplay....says all you need to know

Reactions: Bumpus

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Good joke. Pens are flat out the best playoff team in the league. I'd argue Vegas but they are too unproven. Still, Sid's team cannot be beat and have won 9/9 last playoff series. Sid has won everything there is to win except the Selke and the voters are pushing hard for him to win so by 37 or so he will get 1. McDavid can have a perfect career and he won't even come close in the winning aspect. He can get 10 straight Ross's but he will never match the team accomplishments.

You never know. When you've got a guy like Mcdavid, it's inevitable you win at least 1 cup. Guys that good always get it done eventually.

But Chiarelli needs to figure it out soon. Winning Cups after 28-29 like Sid has done is more rare I think. Gretz/Mario won theirs early.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
You never know. When you've got a guy like Mcdavid, it's inevitable you win at least 1 cup. Guys that good always get it done eventually.

But Chiarelli needs to figure it out soon. Winning Cups after 28-29 like Sid has done is more rare I think. Gretz/Mario won theirs early.
Look up the career of Sid's favorite player.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Look up the career of Sid's favorite player.

Oh I know Stevie did it. Just saying I don't feel like it's the norm. Usually guys win them at the height of their powers. Gretzky/Lemieux won theirs before 26-27ish and not again after.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
When another player get 89 pts in a season..theres countless threads about being a future star. Crosby does it and his career is over. Lol.

Always steps up in the playoffs..and puts up close to 90 points in regular season giving 70% effort. People that actually watch all 82 games know this. Instead of just checking the box score and seeing a handful of games.

Crosby had his years earlier in his career for regular season hardware. 3-4 of those years ruined by injuries. Hes 30 now..and cups are more important.

These same handful of people will continue to look for ways to downplay..obsessed. now the excuse is its Philly. Next round.."pens always beat caps" next round... " bruins had injuries all year". Finals.. " Jets have no experience". Or whatever team we play if we get that far. There will always be something. And what they dont realize...Pens fans love this.

The fact people are even in here trying to downplay....says all you need to know

in other words he's past his physical prime and can't play like he did in his early 20s so he's toned his game down to more of a strong 2 way player and not the constantly attacking superstar he once was. if hedman and steckel don't rattle his brain who knows what could've been.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
in other words he's past his physical prime and can't play like he did in his early 20s so he's toned his game down to more of a strong 2 way player and not the constantly attacking superstar he once was. if hedman and steckel don't rattle his brain who knows what could've been.

Yeah now hes just rattling brains of haters like yourself..without any contact. Impressive

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
13 points in the series, one of his better playoff performances there.
I posted this in the other thread too, but he had as many points as the Flyers did non-EN goals over the 6 game series (13).

Amazing how much harder he plays when the games matter.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Crosby likely was conserving himself for the playoffs but his ridiculous first round is more along the lines of him being good enough to take advantage of playing a team with porous defense and goaltending. He’s shooting at 35% right now.

If he drew Tampa or Boston in the first round his numbers are likely much closer to that of his regular season as opposed to putting up over 2 points per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad