Can we now confirm that Crosby was saving himself for the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
His play has been impressive, but I don't why ppl always need to bring McDavid into everything Crosby related.

If McDavid would finish 3rd in scoring on his own team they'd be in the running for alltime lowest goals scored or something like that. :laugh:

Reactions: Bumpus

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
The idea that Crosby "intentionally" toned it down in the regular season so that he would be more ready for the playoffs is preposterous. Look, I think that Crosby is the best player in the league, but this kind of spin is good for nobody because it doesn't check out. Quite frankly, if the "best player in the world" was taking it easy during the regular season, when the team clinched their playoff berth as late as they did, I'd say he'd have been absconding his duties as captain.

The more realistic answer is that it's a long season, the Penguins were dealing with a variety of injuries, and Crosby chipped in when he could. The good news was that he had a healthy year for the first time in his career and, yes, obviously he's ready for the playoffs given it's the twelfth straight year that he and the Penguins have qualified for the playoffs.

But to say that he could have won the scoring race if he wanted to is exactly why Crosby gets so many haters. Be a fan, but take the blinders off once in a while to acknowledge that there are other talented players in the league, too, several of whom had a better regular season than one Sidney Crosby.

Reactions: Calendal

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Crosby had a relatively 'down' season this year - 10th in points, 'only' 89 - which convinced many that he's no longer the best player in the league.
Some people were saying that he was saving himself for the playoffs, which now appears to be true - 9 points (5 goals!) in 4 games, leading the playoffs in goals and points. It seems strange that he would intentionally tone it down a bit, but he's definitely in full playoff mode now.

Anyone that thought he wasnt the best player in the league must have the memory of an ant. Or just doesnt understand hockey or just started watching it this season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Or maybe don't share your opinion.

Or have an agenda. Its very obvious he is the best player, its really not close either. The evolution of his two way game has been nothing short of incredible, his ability to be clutch at the right time as seen by his recent performance in the world cup and the back to back playoffs. I am a Sens fan he has torched my team over and over again, and I have had the oppotunity to cheer for him when he plays for Canada. I have experienced having to be on both sides when evaluating him. I used to be a Crosby hater, I thought he was overated he had not elevated his game or performed at his absolute best when it matterd most. Both of his first two SCF's he was outplayed head to head by Zetterberg he wasnt great in Vancouver 2010 either, Toews outperformed him substantially. I didnt think his undisputed best player on the planet title was all that warranted I wanted to see him elevate his game in the playoffs, internationally and be harder to play against defensively. He has done all of this and proven that without a doubt he is the best player in the world. He also makes his teamates better, his work ethic on and off the ice makes everyone around him better even players that dont play on his team. Its documented he works out and trains with Marchand and Mackinnon in the offseason and is very hard on them. Now look...

I dont care that over an 82 game span because he didnt score 10 extra points. It doenst mean anything in the grand scheme of things. He is proving it right now he is the best player on the planet because he performs best when it matters most.

The only argument anyone can really make for a superior player is Connor Mcdavid. Connor has yet to elevate his game or lead his team to a Stanley Cup, World Cup or Olympic Gold. So until that day comes and he does it consistently Crosby is hands down the best player in the world.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
So you think going balls to the walls for 82 games makes sense?

Anyways, that the Pens had the typical Cup hangover after two long Cup runs is no surprise. That some players, and the team in general, put it into cruise control to get ready for another long run makes complete sense. But why would a three time Cup champ know that better than you?

People are so desperate to discredit Crosby they want to believe that his best is now 15% less than it was just last year rather than apply some common sense.

It's too bad a potential 3rd Conn Smythe will now be stained by his lackadaisical regular season performance.
Malkin and Kessel certainly tried hard and kept the team afloat during the first half of the year, all while Crosby was busy “saving” his energy for the post season....

Crosby played poor for the most part this regular season and wasn’t even close to being the best player in the league, now that he is in the post season(mainly due to a Malkin and Kessel) it’s “Best player in the world!!!! He’s better than mcDavid!!!”

The difference this year is the best player isn’t in the post season, while Crosby got to not try so hard and let Malkin and Kessel actually lead the team.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Or have an agenda. Its very obvious he is the best player, its really not close either. The evolution of his two way game has been nothing short of incredible, his ability to be clutch at the right time as seen by his recent performance in the world cup and the back to back playoffs. I am a Sens fan he has torched my team over and over again, and I have had the oppotunity to cheer for him when he plays for Canada. I have experienced having to be on both sides when evaluating him. I used to be a Crosby hater, I thought he was overated he had not elevated his game or performed at his absolute best when it matterd most. Both of his first two SCF's he was outplayed head to head by Zetterberg he wasnt great in Vancouver 2010 either, Toews outperformed him substantially. I didnt think his undisputed best player on the planet title was all that warranted I wanted to see him elevate his game in the playoffs, internationally and be harder to play against defensively. He has done all of this and proven that without a doubt he is the best player in the world. He also makes his teamates better, his work ethic on and off the ice makes everyone around him better even players that dont play on his team. Its documented he works out and trains with Marchand and Mackinnon in the offseason and is very hard on them. Now look...

I dont care that over an 82 game span because he didnt score 10 extra points. It doenst mean anything in the grand scheme of things. He is proving it right now he is the best player on the planet because he performs best when it matters most.

The only argument anyone can really make for a superior player is Connor Mcdavid. Connor has yet to elevate his game or lead his team to a Stanley Cup, World Cup or Olympic Gold. So until that day comes and he does it consistently Crosby is hands down the best player in the world.
Crosby was not only not the best player during the first half, or the second half.....but wasn’t even the best player on his own team this season, yet it’s not close? Give me break.

What? Sure, he went from bad to ok, sometimes good, but Crosby is not some stud two way player, his defense has gotten severely overrated ever since it was a horrible way to try to justify his CS win.

You do realize the one thing that changed with the Pens was that they got a better supporting cast? Kessel has been a key figure in both of the last cup wins, who is to say it was Crosby’s play? Crosby was a better player from 2010-2014, yet the Pens didn’t win anything....maybe it’s because one player can’t carry a team.

But that’s the thing, Crosby benefitted more from his team than McDavid, and that’s not close. Like I said, Crosby would be 3rd in terms of team MVP this year. McDavid out did Crosby for the second time in a row, the unfortunate circumstances surrounding it is Pens fans like to ignore the CLEAR difference in supporting cast that each player has, and this year was a clear indication.

What? He has had one playoff run.....need we forget how Crosby’s first playoff year, he was booted in the first round. Also, “lead” them to a cup indicates his C right? Because you are aware Crosby hasn’t even led them in points one ANY of his cup victories.....again, it takes a team to win a cup, and Crosby wouldn’t have any with Malkin or Kessel. Stop crowning him and holding him higher than players who have actually done better. McDavid is also on a worst off team and didn’t greatly benefit from a PP, like Crosby this year. Crosby’s linemates were also better in nearly every aspect.

It’s amazing. People take credit away from McDavid because he started producing at a higher rate as the oilers were no longer in the playoffs, even though he was their best player, and among the top in the league before that(produced at basically the same pace as the year before)....while Crosby “coasted” the first half to be simply mediocre, having Kessel and Malkin be the studs, only to finally get his game somewhat back the second half, just in time to head towards the playoffs, in which he wasn’t the most valuable for getting his team there.....best player in the league.

The logic.....

Reactions: Future GOAT

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Crosby was not only not the best player during the first half, or the second half.....but wasn’t even the best player on his own team this season, yet it’s not close? Give me break.

What? Sure, he went from bad to ok, sometimes good, but Crosby is not some stud two way player, his defense has gotten severely overrated ever since it was a horrible way to try to justify his CS win.

You do realize the one thing that changed with the Pens was that they got a better supporting cast? Kessel has been a key figure in both of the last cup wins, who is to say it was Crosby’s play? Crosby was a better player from 2010-2014, yet the Pens didn’t win anything....maybe it’s because one player can’t carry a team.

But that’s the thing, Crosby benefitted more from his team than McDavid, and that’s not close. Like I said, Crosby would be 3rd in terms of team MVP this year. McDavid out did Crosby for the second time in a row, the unfortunate circumstances surrounding it is Pens fans like to ignore the CLEAR difference in supporting cast that each player has, and this year was a clear indication.

What? He has had one playoff run.....need we forget how Crosby’s first playoff year, he was booted in the first round. Also, “lead” them to a cup indicates his C right? Because you are aware Crosby hasn’t even led them in points one ANY of his cup victories.....again, it takes a team to win a cup, and Crosby wouldn’t have any with Malkin or Kessel. Stop crowning him and holding him higher than players who have actually done better. McDavid is also on a worst off team and didn’t greatly benefit from a PP, like Crosby this year. Crosby’s linemates were also better in nearly every aspect.

It’s amazing. People take credit away from McDavid because he started producing at a higher rate as the oilers were no longer in the playoffs, even though he was their best player, and among the top in the league before that(produced at basically the same pace as the year before)....while Crosby “coasted” the first half to be simply mediocre, having Kessel and Malkin be the studs, only to finally get his game somewhat back the second half, just in time to head towards the playoffs, in which he wasn’t the most valuable for getting his team there.....best player in the league.

The logic.....

I think you are exaggerating a bit. Crosby didn’t coast in the first half. Both McDavid and Crosby were within a couple of points of each other when they both were in the 50 point range. The difference in the final point total says more about McDavid’s big finish than anything else.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I think you are exaggerating a bit. Crosby didn’t coast in the first half. Both McDavid and Crosby were within a couple of points of each other when they both were in the 50 point range. The difference in the final point total says more about McDavid’s big finish than anything else.
That seems to be the popular excuse for his play this season. That he doesn’t care about scoring titles, that he was “pacing himself,” or “not trying.” How else would anyone like to justify his play? Because apparently Crosby can never play poorly, he was simply waiting for the playoffs, where he always beats up the opening round team.

Crosby:
41-12-22-36(-12)
41-15-38-53(+12)
McDavid:
41-14-32-46(+9)
41-27-35-62(+11)

Kessel
41-17-27-44(-9)
41-17-31-48(+5)
Malkin
41-19-27-46(-5)
37-23-29-52(+21)

Their production was not close, especially during the second half. Even in the first, McDavid has a ten point lead over Crosby, and was Not just that, but Malkin and Kessel were also doing a lot better. It’s more your selective memory that is the problem of you honestly thought their production was anywhere near eachother. Crosby wasnt gene a PPG player during the first half.....does his “amazing” defense and leadership skills makes up for that? Malkin was clearly the better player when Crosby started finding his groove, yet he’s the best player in the world because?......I swear, grace periods are so annoying.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Malkin and Kessel certainly tried hard and kept the team afloat during the first half of the year, all while Crosby was busy “saving” his energy for the post season....

Crosby played poor for the most part this regular season and wasn’t even close to being the best player in the league, now that he is in the post season(mainly due to a Malkin and Kessel) it’s “Best player in the world!!!! He’s better than mcDavid!!!”

The difference this year is the best player isn’t in the post season, while Crosby got to not try so hard and let Malkin and Kessel actually lead the team.

The difference in points between Kessel and Crosby was 3. Not that points determine who the better is but when it gets closer you really need to watch and use context. Don’t know how you come to the conclusion Kessel lead the team and Crosby didn’t try hard when their production was so close.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
The difference in points between Kessel and Crosby was 3. Not that points determine who the better is but when it gets closer you really need to watch and use context. Don’t know how you come to the conclusion Kessel lead the team and Crosby didn’t try hard when their production was so close.
That’s not the point at all, my point is that Kessel, overall, did better than Crosby this season, and that’s really not that debatable. Not just that, but Malkin was most definitely the best Pen.

I watched Crosby play poorly the first half of the year and Kessel/Malkin play great. Doesn’t take more than an eye test to see that.

I’m mocking that statement, not glorifying it. I don’t believe for one second that Crosby Simply wasn’t trying that hard. What does that say about him and his team? I mean not many players who’s team depend on them, can “coast” through half of the season and have others have to get the team wins. Must be nice.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don't think he wakes up one morning in january and tells himself: "I'll take it easy tonight".But with extensive playoff experience and the subtle accumulative drain that so much hockey has on his body and energy level at his age, he must subconsciously know what to prioritize better than when he was 22 years old.

He's more aware of what it takes to go all the way, the total amount of energy and efforts required.More aware of how much energy he can spend before his tank is empty.Therefore, he knows when to sprint, and when to marathon.When you're 22, you can keep sprinting all the time, not so at his age.It doesn't mean he's slacking off when he's on marathon mode, but there will be subtle differences in his style of play, which can lead to 6-7 less points in the RS, but an extra cup in the end.

Most productive people in their 30s use their energy more wisely than in their 20s.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2017
Team Crosby here. He’s still the best player in the world. I never liked the guy one little bit until 2016 when he just broke me down with how he still manages to improve his game and his intensity even at an advanced age hockey wise.

McDavid is incredible, and Sid’s only current challenger. And he’s still not even as good a regular season player as Sid was earlier in his career. And now Sid is the best player on earth every playoff when it matters most.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
McDavid is incredible, and Sid’s only current challenger. And he’s still not even as good a regular season player as Sid was earlier in his career. And now Sid is the best player on earth every playoff when it matters most.
McDavid has as many scoring titles in two healthy seasons as Sid in his entire career. I don't think that's a justified position.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
That’s not the point at all, my point is that Kessel, overall, did better than Crosby this season, and that’s really not that debatable. Not just that, but Malkin was most definitely the best Pen.

I watched Crosby play poorly the first half of the year and Kessel/Malkin play great. Doesn’t take more than an eye test to see that.

I’m mocking that statement, not glorifying it. I don’t believe for one second that Crosby Simply wasn’t trying that hard. What does that say about him and his team? I mean not many players who’s team depend on them, can “coast” through half of the season and have others have to get the team wins. Must be nice.

And the last two months where Kessel has looked pretty bad? To the point Pens fans think he is injured. And Crosby having 10 points so far in the playoffs , with Kessel having 3?

Kessel finished with 3 more points on the year over Crosby and you say he was much better than Crosby overall, not even debatable. Lol.

Love Kessel but he doesnt even come close to bringing the overall production Crosby brings. Sid has been playing with rookies off and on all season . And Sheary. Making them better. While taking on the tougher matchups. Kessel has Malkin and Brassard as his centers most of the year.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
McDavid has as many scoring titles in two healthy seasons as Sid in his entire career. I don't think that's a justified position.

Excited to see if McDavid can improve on his playoff performace last year in 2023. Im sure he will have improved by then.

Then again, he may have some seasons ruined by injuries too...

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
just saying, playing in a stacked team usually inflate players' personal stats. To say that one player is better than another, their stats should differ like a day and night. When it comes to compare players with similar or close stats, everything becomes subjective because too much factors are involved, like chemistry, overall team strength, competition faced, quality/quantity of abilities, coaches instructions, luck, reputation, and many many others.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Crosby and Kessel is definitely debatable. Malkin was our best though as you said.

At times Crosby had his foot off the accelerator and he definitely played a different style to other years which at a guess would be to avoid injury and the abuse he’d normally get years prior.

It’s not as simple as he played bad for half a season and good for half a season. His first 10 games were pretty good but our draw was a tough one and fatigue set in early, he’d played a lot of hockey over the past couple years plus added the World Cup.

He had a dry patch (2 points) when we played 7 of 8 games away (all but 1 in different time zones) and 3 back to backs. That was directly after a rough schedule to start the year (first 13 of 19 away and 6 back to backs).

The other dry patch he had came directly after he took a big hit to the head by Eberle (accidental). I’m amazed the spotter did not take him off. He scored 4 points in the next 10 games.

Once the new year hit he (and the team) dominated January and February. In March he was still produced but you could see him easing off at times as to avoid a lot of hard contact. A lot of players did this at times including Malkin and Kessel. The rumour is it was advice from the team as they believed fatigue would be a big factor this season, especially given our draw.

Everything the Pens did was to be at their best right now. It got a bit hairy at the end of 2017 when there was a possibility that we could miss the playoffs but then you saw the team flip the switch and go 17-4-1 averaging 4.1 goals per game.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
just saying, playing in a stacked team usually inflate players' personal stats. To say that one player is better than another, their stats should differ like a day and night. When it comes to compare players with similar or close stats, everything becomes subjective because too much factors are involved, like chemistry, overall team strength, competition faced, quality/quantity of abilities, coaches instructions, luck, reputation, and many many others.

So, what about Sid's stats when he wasn't playing on a "stacked" team? Anyway, who cares? Its all about Cups. That's what people remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad