Can we now confirm that Crosby was saving himself for the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
McDavid has as many scoring titles in two healthy seasons as Sid in his entire career. I don't think that's a justified position.

Saying that Crosby has almost 1800% more playoff points than McDavid makes as much sense as your statement.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
And the last two months where Kessel has looked pretty bad? To the point Pens fans think he is injured. And Crosby having 10 points so far in the playoffs , with Kessel having 3?

Kessel finished with 3 more points on the year over Crosby and you say he was much better than Crosby overall, not even debatable. Lol.

Love Kessel but he doesnt even come close to bringing the overall production Crosby brings. Sid has been playing with rookies off and on all season . And Sheary. Making them better. While taking on the tougher matchups. Kessel has Malkin and Brassard as his centers most of the year.
Again, your choosing to focus mainly on the last 5-10 games where Crosby was better rather than the 82 games where Kessel was more consistent and more valuable during the first half. Stop spot picking your arguments, Kessel is one of the reasons why the Pens are even in the post season, Crosby should be thanking him because while he was stinking up the place, Kessel(along with Malkin) were the difference makers....but again lets ignore that and just focus on the points where Crosby was better.

This season was the difference, not overall, not career, I’m discussing this past season...so don’t start trying to justify Crosby being better with past results. Of course Crosby is overall better, but he wasn’t better than kessel this season.
Team Crosby here. He’s still the best player in the world. I never liked the guy one little bit until 2016 when he just broke me down with how he still manages to improve his game and his intensity even at an advanced age hockey wise.

McDavid is incredible, and Sid’s only current challenger. And he’s still not even as good a regular season player as Sid was earlier in his career. And now Sid is the best player on earth every playoff when it matters most.
How can someone be he best player in the world when he wasn’t even the best player on his team this season?....

Is it this “mystique” defensive game that was hardly a factor this season? Or his leadership, where their great captain decided to “coast” for a majority of the season? There is no legitimate or logical reason why Crosby is still better.

The biggest difference is Sid has a better team around him where as McDavid doesn’t, yet McDavid out played Crosby quite easily the last 2 seasons. Put Crosby on the oilers, and they still aren’t a playoff team.

Saying that Crosby has almost 1800% more playoff points than McDavid makes as much sense as your statement.
Love your logic :laugh:

McDavid has one post season, where he was alright, not great....but not terrible, and then doesn’t have the supporting cast to make another playoff push, and it’s set in stone that he isn’t that great and will never be as great as Crosby....

All while Crosby was the 3rd best player on his team. Wasn’t even a PPG the first half of the season and a negative player for a majority of the season, but still his team makes he post season.....BEST PLAYER!

one player single handidly carried his team the entire season, while the other had the benefit of 2 superstars to take a majority of the work load....one walked away as the strongest point producer in the league, while the other benefitted more from a strong PP. wake up, your homerism is blinding you.

Reactions: Future GOAT

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
Some people just need to accept the fact that Crosby hasn't played like a superstar in nearly a decade. He's just a very good player now maybe a "star" but that would be stretching it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Crosby was not only not the best player during the first half, or the second half.....but wasn’t even the best player on his own team this season, yet it’s not close? Give me break.

What? Sure, he went from bad to ok, sometimes good, but Crosby is not some stud two way player, his defense has gotten severely overrated ever since it was a horrible way to try to justify his CS win.

You do realize the one thing that changed with the Pens was that they got a better supporting cast? Kessel has been a key figure in both of the last cup wins, who is to say it was Crosby’s play? Crosby was a better player from 2010-2014, yet the Pens didn’t win anything....maybe it’s because one player can’t carry a team.

But that’s the thing, Crosby benefitted more from his team than McDavid, and that’s not close. Like I said, Crosby would be 3rd in terms of team MVP this year. McDavid out did Crosby for the second time in a row, the unfortunate circumstances surrounding it is Pens fans like to ignore the CLEAR difference in supporting cast that each player has, and this year was a clear indication.

What? He has had one playoff run.....need we forget how Crosby’s first playoff year, he was booted in the first round. Also, “lead” them to a cup indicates his C right? Because you are aware Crosby hasn’t even led them in points one ANY of his cup victories.....again, it takes a team to win a cup, and Crosby wouldn’t have any with Malkin or Kessel. Stop crowning him and holding him higher than players who have actually done better. McDavid is also on a worst off team and didn’t greatly benefit from a PP, like Crosby this year. Crosby’s linemates were also better in nearly every aspect.

It’s amazing. People take credit away from McDavid because he started producing at a higher rate as the oilers were no longer in the playoffs, even though he was their best player, and among the top in the league before that(produced at basically the same pace as the year before)....while Crosby “coasted” the first half to be simply mediocre, having Kessel and Malkin be the studs, only to finally get his game somewhat back the second half, just in time to head towards the playoffs, in which he wasn’t the most valuable for getting his team there.....best player in the league.

The logic.....

First of all I didn't say he deserved the hart trophy. Not once. In fact I have stated many times that Giroux should win it. I said Crosby is the best player in the world. No idea why you had to ramble on here. Until a player proves it at the highest level elevating his game and leading his team to championships then he isn't as good. I swear you didn't read a single word in my post.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
If Crosby was saving himself for the playoffs doesn’t that mean him not being rested can’t be used as an excuse if the Pens lose?

Feb 24, 2017
First of all I didn't say he deserved the hart trophy. Not once. In fact I have stated many times that Giroux should win it. I said Crosby is the best player in the world. No idea why you had to ramble on here. Until a player proves it at the highest level elevating his game and leading his team to championships then he isn't as good. I swear you didn't read a single word in my post.
This truly is like the rise of the millennial.

Terminator M- Rise of the Spreadsheet

It’s like all the copies of Excel became self aware and joined www.hfboards.com

A whole new generation of hockey fans who only know their advanced stats and will not believe their eyes when they see a player who in their eyes is passed his prime, and shouldn’t be able to be the best, be the best player on earth in a 2 month tournament, elevating his team to championships.

See, championships don’t fit on spreadsheets. Statnet(this is what I am calling you advanced stat army types. Instead of Skynet. Look it up) doesn’t recognize it as a quantifiable thing.

I never would have thought I’d be a “dinosaur” at 36.

Reactions: bert

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
That’s a whole different conversation, because Crosby would still come second to Malkin in terms of Hart recognition...maybe even third behind Kessel. You can’t be the “best player in the league” without the multiple details/standards that we usually hold, except with Crosby, we throw all that out the window.

So your saying a player be the best player in the world and NOT be a Hart consideration? How the hell does that work? Even guys like Kopitar, Kucherov, and Mackinnon should have more of that hype, so why Crosby? Once again.....grace period.

Elevating his game and “leading” his team to a championship? Hasn’t Kessel and Malkin done that as well? Your acting as if Crosby is the only player doing that on the Pens, just because he’s the captain doesn’t mean he should be entitled to that. So until another player wins the cup and a Smythe over Crosby, does that mean they are now the best player?

It’s not my lack of understanding, it’s your confusion concept on what is/isn’t the “best player” and what qualifies. Fact is, Crosby was the best player in the world IMO a majority of 2011-2014, yet the Pens saw 0 post season success......but now that they are, Crosby is now the favorite every year....the difference is we now ignore the Regular season where Crosby has not been the best, and focus on the playoffs where Crosby has had the better team, but he of course has contributed greatly. It’s just a matter of separating the individual from the team.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
That seems to be the popular excuse for his play this season. That he doesn’t care about scoring titles, that he was “pacing himself,” or “not trying.” How else would anyone like to justify his play? Because apparently Crosby can never play poorly, he was simply waiting for the playoffs, where he always beats up the opening round team.

Crosby:
41-12-22-36(-12)
41-15-38-53(+12)
McDavid:
41-14-32-46(+9)
41-27-35-62(+11)

Kessel
41-17-27-44(-9)
41-17-31-48(+5)
Malkin
41-19-27-46(-5)
37-23-29-52(+21)

Their production was not close, especially during the second half. Even in the first, McDavid has a ten point lead over Crosby, and was Not just that, but Malkin and Kessel were also doing a lot better. It’s more your selective memory that is the problem of you honestly thought their production was anywhere near eachother. Crosby wasnt gene a PPG player during the first half.....does his “amazing” defense and leadership skills makes up for that? Malkin was clearly the better player when Crosby started finding his groove, yet he’s the best player in the world because?......I swear, grace periods are so annoying.

Good god man. I said, when they were in the 50 point range they were within a couple of points or so of each other. Well I just double checked and on January 18th McDavid had 53 points and Crosby had 50 so yeah I was right. Thanks for playing.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Again, your choosing to focus mainly on the last 5-10 games where Crosby was better rather than the 82 games where Kessel was more consistent and more valuable during the first half. Stop spot picking your arguments, Kessel is one of the reasons why the Pens are even in the post season, Crosby should be thanking him because while he was stinking up the place, Kessel(along with Malkin) were the difference makers....but again lets ignore that and just focus on the points where Crosby was better.

This season was the difference, not overall, not career, I’m discussing this past season...so don’t start trying to justify Crosby being better with past results. Of course Crosby is overall better, but he wasn’t better than kessel this season.

How can someone be he best player in the world when he wasn’t even the best player on his team this season?....

Is it this “mystique” defensive game that was hardly a factor this season? Or his leadership, where their great captain decided to “coast” for a majority of the season? There is no legitimate or logical reason why Crosby is still better.

The biggest difference is Sid has a better team around him where as McDavid doesn’t, yet McDavid out played Crosby quite easily the last 2 seasons. Put Crosby on the oilers, and they still aren’t a playoff team.

Love your logic :laugh:

McDavid has one post season, where he was alright, not great....but not terrible, and then doesn’t have the supporting cast to make another playoff push, and it’s set in stone that he isn’t that great and will never be as great as Crosby....

All while Crosby was the 3rd best player on his team. Wasn’t even a PPG the first half of the season and a negative player for a majority of the season, but still his team makes he post season.....BEST PLAYER!

one player single handidly carried his team the entire season, while the other had the benefit of 2 superstars to take a majority of the work load....one walked away as the strongest point producer in the league, while the other benefitted more from a strong PP. wake up, your homerism is blinding you.

Oh, the bitter Philly fan hatred is bitter in you.

In fact, I'd say leadership is putting individual regular season stats and awards aside and focusing on saving strength for the playoffs after playing over 100 games over each of the past 2 seasons. Oh, hey, he just destroyed you Flyers while being by far the best player in the first round. Yep, leadership.

Reactions: Bumpus and bert

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Some people just need to accept the fact that Crosby hasn't played like a superstar in nearly a decade. He's just a very good player now maybe a "star" but that would be stretching it.

Playoff success aside, he won the Art Ross only 5 years ago and has had many top 10 finishes since, so I dunno what the hell you're talking about.

Reactions: bert

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Playoff success aside, he won the Art Ross only 5 years ago and has had many top 10 finishes since, so I dunno what the hell you're talking about.
My advice is to ignore these clowns. They'll quote regular season stats, and Toews giant QoC > Malkin's #101, all in an attempt to discredit.
Wish they could all go into a battle royale: Sid carried Malkin's small QoC v.s. All Pens carry Sid. Winner gets a signed Sid jersey.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018

wow an art ross 5 years ago surrounded by sub 90 point seasons. if that's what's considered a super star than mcdavid must really be jesus.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
My advice is to ignore these clowns. They'll quote regular season stats, and Toews giant QoC > Malkin's #101, all in an attempt to discredit.
Wish they could all go into a battle royale: Sid carried Malkin's small QoC v.s. All Pens carry Sid. Winner gets a signed Sid jersey.

If people wanna say he's not the best any more that's fine and I'd even agree with that. But to say he's not a star any more is nonsense.

He's not as good as Mcdavid, but he's still really really good and better than just about everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad