Value of: Can anyone fix the Leafs defense without leaving the team worse than it is?

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Jones isn't getting traded. Neither is Nylander.

Leafs should look to find a veteran RH defender that can play the tough minutes. A guy that likely has an expensive-ish contract and a team looking to shed the money. Similar to the Dion Phaneuf trade of back in the day.

Someone in that 25-30 year old range that has a bunch of years of high level ability left. This gives the Leafs a stabilizing force and time to develop a draft pick/prospect.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
With the rise of Werenski in Columbus, I'm not sure if Seth Jones is expandable or not, but if he is, a package around Nylander for Jones makes sense for the Leafs imo.

With the rise of Auston Matthews in Toronto, I'm not sure if Mitch Marner is expendable or not... :sarcasm:

Ostensibly, in a world where players are fungible, we could afford to move him. But in practice, the team's built around having the blueline as a major weapon. We'd need a replacement major weapon, and a Nylander package is unlikely to provide that. It'd be like y'all trading Matthews - it can't happen because the future plans of the team all assume he's there.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
With the rise of Auston Matthews in Toronto, I'm not sure if Mitch Marner is expendable or not... :sarcasm:

Ostensibly, in a world where players are fungible, we could afford to move him. But in practice, the team's built around having the blueline as a major weapon. We'd need a replacement major weapon, and a Nylander package is unlikely to provide that. It'd be like y'all trading Matthews - it can't happen because the future plans of the team all assume he's there.

Actually, a Jones for Marner trade straight up is a fair deal, I'm just not sure if the Jackets would be willing to take it since young d-men like this are not easy to find.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Actually, a Jones for Marner trade straight up is a fair deal, I'm just not sure if the Jackets would be willing to take it since young d-men like this are not easy to find.
We wouldn't, because, as previously stated, primary team build strategy depends on his presence. I was more pointing out the IMO absurdity of the premise. :)

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I would consider trading Myers from the Jets (only if Trouba resigns this summer long term), solid top 4 guy who plays in all roles on the right side. Trouba makes Myers expendable. The only problem is the Leafs don't have what we need, good defensive prospects.

Last edited:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
You can dump prospects & picks to Vegas. Vegas can overload on goalies & D, and then trade them around the league in a roulette style auction.

You have more than enough chips to get a very good defensemen they take.

So scratch one slot off.

You sign two more as UFA, bottom pairing and depth.

Then you trade a young roster D for a reliable minute eater.

While you may not get a partner for Rielly this off-season. getting 3 everyday, and one more reliable guy will open up the contention window fast.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Took Hall to get Larsson. Go from there.

Edit: If you don't want to move anyone, best bet is to make a Boychuk/Leddy type deal like the Isles did a few years ago. Which means taking a chance on some potentially under appreciated players. So would require getting a bit lucky.

What makes you think that because Edmonton paid that price it has forever changed the market for a top 4 D-Man? Edmonton is literally the only team that could have met that price (Or wanted to).

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
What are some realistic trades the Leafs could make this summer that doesn't leave the team worse while addressing the defense. Keep in mind the middle is fine, and they have prospects who can fill in the bottom pairing.

This means they need help at the top, but can that be done? Interested to hear other fans opinions instead of the usual JVR to your team.

Seabrook for picks......

Dude, you're not going to get a top 4 defenseman without giving up nothing.

I think Bowman would give up Seabrook for the right price.

Of course Toronto could throw money at the UFA market, but there aren't really any top 4 defenseman in this class... Maybe Markov or Shattenkirk, but Shattenkirk is 7+ per long term, and Markov will never leave Montreal - especially not for Toronto.

Seabrook is your guy if you want a top 4 at a reasonable price.

Maybe Detroit would trade Mike Green? Seabrook is better tho.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
What makes you think that because Edmonton paid that price it has forever changed the market for a top 4 D-Man? Edmonton is literally the only team that could have met that price (Or wanted to).

Who said it changed the market? That is the market, it only changed fans and media perception of the market to what reality is.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

Fans of other teams have been repeatedly told by numerous Leafs fans that the price for JVR has been established through previous trades (like Ryan and Lucic).

Let's face it, teams know the Leafs are desperate for a top dman. The Habs are in the same boat when it comes to a top C.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Hoping Lou cherry picks another top four defenseman from the European/Russian leagues.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
The best strategy here is to assume everything magically will work out without the team to losing any players you like.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Seabrook is 31 and has 6 years left at nearly 7mil. Easy PASS!

You think you're getting a top 4 defenseman without giving up something of value you're out of your mind.

This UFA class is weak on D. The best there are is Markov (which Toronto has no shot at) and Shattenkirk who is going to want 7+ and a contract just as long as Seabrook's.

If you want a young top 4 D, like a Barrie then you're going to have to give up top prospects and one of your younger players.... Top 4's don't grow on trees. Few teams have legit top 4's they're willing to move.

Mike Green is the only other guy I could see being moved.

Maybe you could swing a blockbuster with LA in an attempt to land Doughty..

But you're not going to find a top 4 with a reasonable contract at a reasonable term at a reasonable price... Teams don't move those guys and when they do it's usually a 1 for 1 swap to address issues elsewhere in their lineup (like Hall for Larsson)..

Sure, you could maybe get Barrie for one of Marner, Nylander or maybe JVR +...

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Post #111

Green for 2 2018 2nd's, Middleton.

That was my suggestion, didn't think that was a lot.

It will be more than that...

How often can GM's exploit other GM's? :laugh:

Either way, Green would be a short term solution but if I were Holland I would ask for more than a couple of 2nd's and a prospect knowing the Leafs need a top 4 and few if any are on the market.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
You can bet Detroit would want a lot for him tho given the fact he only has 1 year left and Detroit and Toronto are rivals again and Detroit isn't going to do Toronto any favors.

Green is not very good and not someone we want or need. Detroit signed him as a UFA on a short term deal yet you think their going to trade green to Toronto for a mountain of gold? This isn't the green from 2009.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I've been reading all this stuff (different threads about the Leafs D) and it seems every defenesman floated around that could improve their team is either not good enough, too old, contract is too long, cap hit is too much...

It's hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad