Can anyone explain to me why Mike Smith is starting?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Had quite the performance in Game 1. Would it be accurate to describe his goaltending style as chaotic? He looked spazztic back there on top of making those great saves.

Yes, yes it would be. Even when he's on he does stuff that tightens your sphincter. Definitely a throwback that relies a lot on his athleticism. A lot of the saves he made last night were fairly routine glove saves that he hammed up for the crowd. Lots of talent and is a great athlete but he lacks sound technical structure. Probably what has held him back from being considered one of the better goalies throughout his career.

Reactions: Fixxer and shmotz

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Had quite the performance in Game 1. Would it be accurate to describe his goaltending style as chaotic? He looked spazztic back there on top of making those great saves.

His lateral movement especially is a bit unorthodox. I think he's had so many groin injuries that he's careful about the way he moves side to side now, and it looks more like a sideways flop/jump than a normal butterfly push over.

Reactions: shmotz

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Yes, yes it would be. Even when he's on he does stuff that tightens your sphincter. Definitely a throwback that relies a lot on his athleticism. A lot of the saves he made last night were fairly routine glove saves that he hammed up for the crowd. Lots of talent and is a great athlete but he lacks sound technical structure. Probably what has held him back from being considered one of the better goalies throughout his career.

I figured, he was quite the showman! :laugh:

His style, in turn, made me notice just how calm our guy (Binnington) is. Quite the contrast. That said, he was fun to watch! :laugh:

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I don't know if it's really a conscious thing for Smith, though, the theatrics. I think he just is fairly high-strung and wants to "go and get" the puck instead of letting it come to him. Reminds me a bit of the difference between Ramo and Hiller. Ramo wanted to save the puck. Hiller wanted the puck to hit him. I think Smith moves a lot more than he needs to, but it helps him feel engaged and keeps him sharp.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I can't wait for this to update after tonight's game!
My how quickly things can change. I’m guessing if the Flames had survived even one more game Smith’s impressive position on BOTH of these lists would be like dust in the wind. Oh well, there’s always next season, assuming Smith is on a Playoff team then.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
My how quickly things can change. I’m guessing if the Flames had survived even one more game Smith’s impressive position on BOTH of these lists would be like dust in the wind. Oh well, there’s always next season, assuming Smith is on a Playoff team then.

Quite surprised that Mike Smith is still first in one of those two categories. Slim silver lining.

NHL Goalies ‑ All-Time Playoff Save Percentage Leaders

NHL Goalies ‑ All-Time Playoff Goals Against Average Leaders

Reactions: tucker3434

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Did they give Smith a delay of game or Diving penalty? They should, should always be called, this stuff makes the NHL a joke and it's not needed in the playoffs.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Am I the only one that hates watching the guy play? His body language really doesn't inspire confidence, every goal he gives up he ends up on his stomach looking like his life just ended.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Smith was their best player by far. The flames choked hard. Not as hard as the woeful bolts who couldnt even get decent goaltending.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
So do the Flames re-sign him? Smith showed he still can carry a team. Would have been nice if the team in front of him gave him any support.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad