Can anyone explain to me why Mike Smith is starting?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I have watched the game tonight. I posted this thread before the game, asking why he is starting tonight's game.

I am not a time traveler.
To answer your question earnestly, Mike Smith overall outplayed David Rittich after the All-star Game. And not just in numbers, but in the eye-test as well. David Rittich's first half of the season was fantastic, but Smith returned to form and posted above-average numbers after the ASB just like he had last year. He didn't "force the coach's hand" or anything outlandish like what Grubauer did down the stretch, but David Rittich having a poor run combined with Smith having a good playoff track record led to him getting the nod.

Not to overstate things, though. David Rittich still had a stellar season, and Flames fans have confidence in him, too, if he is needed. But he wasn't quite as steady in the second half.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Best playoff SV% ever... BEFORE tonight’s shutout.

Crazy career numbers vs Colorado (something like 11-3-2)

Very strong play to finish the season.

Playoff experience.

Not a tough choice really

Reactions: Pizza the Hutt

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Well I said the Flames goaltending would be their downfall and they would be lucky to win a series... now I know it's only been one game but what if Mike Smith actually caught fire and played like the playoff run in Arizona. They would be pretty scary then. I still think he will falter.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I have watched the game tonight. I posted this thread before the game, asking why he is starting tonight's game.

Not very knowledgeable about hockey either - if you were you wouldn't have created this thread in the first place. It was obvious to anybody who follows hockey that Smith would be the starter until he loses the spot to Rittich.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
I guess as a Sharks fan you would be quite familiar with that dilemma. Must be terrible having both goalies that can't break the .900 Sv% barrier.

If you are expecting me to disagree with you, I won't. And most Sharks fans won't either. Jones is the only thing that could stop the Sharks from winning the cup or atleast getting to the finals.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

Will you admit then that just maybe the Flames staff knew what they were doing?

Max1997

Oct 12, 2018
Well I said the Flames goaltending would be their downfall and they would be lucky to win a series... now I know it's only been one game but what if Mike Smith actually caught fire and played like the playoff run in Arizona. They would be pretty scary then. I still think he will falter.
I keep seeing posts like this and I don’t understand. “Lucky to win a series”? We were the second best team in the league ffs.
Also, nobody with this view understands that the Avs have ZERO depth. Rantanen isn’t 100%. They have to be able to score to win!

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
This thread was posted before last night’s game, so I don’t understand why people have issues with it. I think it was an understandable question and concern.

I can’t understand why we can’t discuss things related to hockey without delving into camps of winners and losers.

It remains to be seen whether or not it is Smith or Rittich who will lead the Flames to the promised land.

There aren’t many other teams where there could be a possible goalie controversy.

Good for Smith to get the shutout.

Reactions: HansonBro

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I wonder if his performance last night changed anyone's mind. I watched the game, he certainly played like a guy with something to prove.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Before last night, Smith's last playoff game wasn't against a really, really good LA team. That sure puts the passage of time into perspective.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I wonder if his performance last night changed anyone's mind. I watched the game, he certainly played like a guy with something to prove.
Smith has been playing a lot better for the last month or so.
Smith has the talent I just think he gets bored easily during a game and makes stupid mistakes. I don't think he'll get bored now.
This is probably his last decent shot at a Stanley Cup in his career.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Mike Smith has one of the weakest gloves in the league, I’m surprised to see he made a few fluke glove saves, he probably even shocked himself.

Reactions: fivesberg

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Mike Smith has one of the weakest gloves in the league, I’m surprised to see he made a few fluke glove saves, he probably even shocked himself.

He goes round the world with his glove when he isn't even playing

R9G2b3e.gif

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It remains to be seen whether or not it is Smith or Rittich who will lead the Flames to the promised land.

There aren’t many other teams where there could be a possible goalie controversy.

I expect both will play at points. Back in 2015 Hiller got us through the first five games of the Canucks series with strong play, but faltered in game 6 (but the team also let him down mind you). Ramo came into game 6 and took the series with a comeback win. Then in game 1 of round 2, Hiller got the chance but played poorly. Ramo played game 2 and stood on his head, and played the next three games very well, though Calgary was simply outmatched by a better, healthier team. Sigalet is still our goalie coach since then so I am extrapolating that he has a similar plan to ride the hot hand for this year's playoffs. As long as both goalies don't simultaneously pull a 2017 Elliott or gets injured before the series like 2017 Johnson we're in a good spot.

My bigger concern with Smith is rest. At age 37, I don't know if one night of rest will be enough for him physically so he may be less effective in game 2. But I may be overthinking it. I do believe it is in Calgary's best interest to take care of round 1 quickly rather than let it drag on so he gets some rest before round 2.

Reactions: ijk

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Had quite the performance in Game 1. Would it be accurate to describe his goaltending style as chaotic? He looked spazztic back there on top of making those great saves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad