Can anyone explain to me why Mike Smith is starting?

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
What Mike Smith lacks in hockey skill, he makes up for in acting abilities.

I hope you can support him for his 2020 bid for Team Canada Diving.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

It’s such a shame Alex Edler literally killed him, the Flames sure could use him right now.

Reactions: fivesberg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He's like a little bit better then Brian Elliot and flames fans know how that went
Elliott was better that regular season, but Elliott murdered the Flames so bad in the Anaheim series, I'm surprised he's still in the NHL and not on death row.

Reactions: tmurfin and LuG61

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Elliott was better that regular season, but Elliott murdered the Flames so bad in the Anaheim series, I'm surprised he's still in the NHL and not on death row.
We just had him as our starter with the Flyers for 2 years. He's just a very ok goalie. Hopefully Hart will finally be the one.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We just had him as our starter with the Flyers for 2 years. He's just a very ok goalie. Hopefully Hart will finally be the one.
He's probably an okay backup, but I wouldn't want him as the starter. Even in his good years in St. Louis, he was mostly just a 1a in his more heavily used years.

I don't really believe in system goalies, but if there is a such thing, he's definitely one. The only years he's been particularly good were when he played for the Blues/Hitchcock. He was awful to mediocre at best in Ottawa and Colorado and he's been mediocre to okay at best with Calgary and Philadelphia.

Hart was better than him this year, on both eye test and on paper in save percentage. The only thing I'll say in Elliott's defense was that in that last game he played where he allowed 4 goals on 5 shots, I don't think he had a chance on any of them. In that game against the Sharks where they scored 8 on him back in October, I think I only counted 1 of those as stoppable. I do think I had him down for a few weak ones in that 7 goal game against Toronto fairly recently though. I remember him being awful in that game against Washington in early March. 3 of the 4 goals in that game were poor.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Smith’s been a lot better in the second half of the season compared to the disaster of a first half. He’s fixed his issues. He’s not what he use to be, but he still has his moments.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Smith was slightly better than Rittich in the second half and he’s more experienced. That said, he won’t have a long leash.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
He's probably an okay backup, but I wouldn't want him as the starter. Even in his good years in St. Louis, he was mostly just a 1a in his more heavily used years.

I don't really believe in system goalies, but if there is a such thing, he's definitely one. The only years he's been particularly good were when he played for the Blues/Hitchcock. He was awful to mediocre at best in Ottawa and Colorado and he's been mediocre to okay at best with Calgary and Philadelphia.

Hart was better than him this year, on both eye test and on paper in save percentage. The only thing I'll say in Elliott's defense was that in that last game he played where he allowed 4 goals on 5 shots, I don't think he had a chance on any of them. In that game against the Sharks where they scored 8 on him back in October, I think I only counted 1 of those as stoppable. I do think I had him down for a few weak ones in that 7 goal game against Toronto fairly recently though. I remember him being awful in that game against Washington in early March. 3 of the 4 goals in that game were poor.

He was brought in to be a bridge from Mason to Hart, and I guess he fulfilled that. Last year he was decent, serviceable enough for a starter, yeah he wasn't great in the playoffs, but the Flyers were overmatched, and Elliott clearly was not 100%. This year, his actual play was ok, a little inconsistent, but his inability to stay healthy, coupled with Neuvirth's even more increased fragility really changed the entire plan with Hart. Hart really never should have even been called up this season. Anyway, Elliott is now 34, but I think he's still good enough for at least a backup gig somewhere next year. Hart will officially become the starter next year, and I believe Talbot will become the backup.

Sorry to talk so much about Elliott, Flames fans. Smith rocked tonight! The Flames won't have to run and gun if Smith keeps it up(or even close).

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014

It's hilarious you call it diving when Edler actually hit him from behind :laugh:

And being a fan to the team that benefited from pro diver Burrows himself... You should be able to distinguish actual diving!

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
oh hey guys,

I hear this is the thread where they are serving up free crow?

Is that right?

I hate it when people make these kinds of posts after one game.

It’s not as bad as people saying things like this after one goal, one save, one period, etc. but it’s still bad. Nobody is “eating crow” until a playoff round is actually over.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00