Can anyone explain to me why Mike Smith is starting?

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
I mean no offense, I haven't seen him play much for the Flames only back in Phoenix, I would like to hear from some Flames fans. He wasn't great back then and his stats seem to be declining and Rittich seems to be rising and got a slight majority of the starts in the season. Smith has one season over .916 and one under 2.58 in his career as a 37 year old, and has a history of being unable to control his emotions in the playoffs. 2.72 and .898 this year on the 2nd best team in the league with the 9th lowest GA. 'Veteran experience' but only two trips to the playoffs, one of as a back-up. 243 wins in 571 games. What gives?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Mike Smith has played 571 games in the NHL. David Rittich has played 67. Really that simple. He also has the lowest GAA and best SV% of any starting goalie in the playoffs for what it's worth(other than Binnington).

Reactions: TychoFan

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Is Holtby not in the POs?
extremly small sample size but on first glance it seems to check out

Holtby 82GP, 45-37, 2.04 .929
Bishop 37GP, 22-13, 2.08, .927
Smith 19GP, 10-8, 1.88, .945

Didn't both looking further caus I don't know who else would be able to sustain those numbers over multiple years

Reactions: 17 others

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Smith can have higher highs and lower low's than Rittich. He's played an order of magnitude more NHL games than Rittich. Has playoff success and experience (albeit limited).

They're still a tandem. Rittich will no doubt get the start in at least a game or two in the series, unless Smith steals the show. If Smith struggles at any point it will be a quick transition to Rittich.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He’s also played 19GMs. What an absolutely useless defense of the decision to start him in the POs.

Did I say I think he's the best starting goalie in the playoffs? No. No I didn't. Even added the qualifier "for what it's worth". Just thought it might be worth mentioning he has the best playoff numbers of any starting goalie not named Jordan Binnington.

Reactions: TychoFan

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Did I say I think he's the best starting goalie in the playoffs? No. No I didn't. Even added the qualifier "for what it's worth". Just thought it might be worth mentioning he has the best playoff numbers of any starting goalie not named Jordan Binnington.
The fact that you qualify this statement by referencing Binnington’s Career PO #s should tell everyone all they need to know.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
It was a joke man. I'm not even hoping for Calgary and have been a huge Smith critic.
No I get it, it’s okay. I’m actually curious to see how Smith does. A lot of people are picking CGY to surprise but conversely, practically everyone agrees they have the worse goaltending in the POs. It’s genuinely curious.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You don't like Mike Smith. We get it. Get in line lol I'm sure there's a support group
No, you’ve misinterpreted. I don’t like you.
Or the spurious, arbitrary, and largely meaningless distinctions you use to attempt a poor and misguided support of your argument.

Also SMITH SUCKS.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
No, you’ve misinterpreted. I don’t like you.
Or the spurious, arbitrary, and largely meaningless distinctions you use to attempt a poor and misguided support of your argument.

Also SMITH SUCKS.

They're literally just numbers. Not sure how something empirical can be spurious but you do you.

Have a blessed day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad