Camp Set

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Jackman wasn't nearly as bad as Seth 'there's a grenade on my stick' Jones. I'll also give Jackman a pass since it was his first game with the team. And he has been injured.

I'm a little concerned our third line is going to be just as stinky as last year, but it's too early to say for sure.

Curious - you give Jackman a pass for obvious reasons, but are concerned about a 3rd line that last night was centered by a kid with the same break points you'd give Jackman (re: first game, been injured) and has undefined wings?

If the 3rd does have Hodgson & Smith as locks, it's got two multiple 20+ goals and 40+ point producers. Add in Av or Moses or Jarn or ??, and it should be sound. Before getting concerned in the least, I'd vote to give the line a bit of time to 1] get settled on who is even likely to be the trio, and then 2] where chemistry isn't instant, give some time to develop some familiarity at least.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Curious - you give Jackman a pass for obvious reasons, but are concerned about a 3rd line that last night was centered by a kid with the same break points you'd give Jackman (re: first game, been injured) and has undefined wings?

If the 3rd does have Hodgson & Smith as locks, it's got two multiple 20+ goals and 40+ point producers. Add in Av or Moses or Jarn or ??, and it should be sound. Before getting concerned in the least, I'd vote to give the line a bit of time to 1] get settled on who is even likely to be the trio, and then 2] where chemistry isn't instant, give some time to develop some familiarity at least.

Won't be Moses...But other than that I agree with you on this. This line just needs a little practice time to gel.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Won't be Moses...But other than that I agree with you on this. This line just needs a little practice time to gel.

I'm guessing that the 1st line is a lock with Forsberg-Riberio-Neal but that middle 6 is still in flux, with only Fisher and Hodgson as total lock downs into 2C and 3C respectively, and Wilson, Smith and Jarnkrok with lock downs having wing spots shuffled between 2nd and 3rd lines depending on how the guys mix 'n match best.

For example, if the 3rd can carry itself without need for more size, then Wilson & Smith stick together on the 2nd, leaving the 3rd with Hodgson & Jarnkrok + 1. So the middle 6 looks like:

Wilson - Fisher - Smith
?? - Hodgson - Jarnkrok

Or, if the 3rd looks too soft, then split Wilson & Smith, so it's Wilson & Jarnkrok with Fisher and Hodgson & Smith + 1 for the 3rd. And the middle 6 looks like:

Wilson - Fisher - Jarnkrok
Smith - Hodgson - ??

It's the ??, the +1, that last middle 6 winger spot, which seems up for grabs...

Arv or Moses? Obviously with Moses sent down it appears to go to Arvidsson. But despite having appeared to play with more gumption and stability than Moses so far, I wouldn't be surprised if Arvidsson fizzled and Moses was recalled soon enough.

Personally, in this moment, I'd pick to split Wilson & Smith, but ONLY if Smith will play left wing. He's a right shot and really, Hodgson is awesome as the natural playmaker setting up a right handed left wing (see: Vanek's entire career and where he had career production as a right shot off Hodgson's wing).

All in, I think Moses' short term recall future depends upon how quickly the 2nd line is solidified - and if the 3rd line residue lags in producing offense.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I'm guessing that the 1st line is a lock with Forsberg-Riberio-Neal but that middle 6 is still in flux, with only Fisher and Hodgson as total lock downs into 2C and 3C respectively, and Wilson, Smith and Jarnkrok with lock downs having wing spots shuffled between 2nd and 3rd lines depending on how the guys mix 'n match best.

For example, if the 3rd can carry itself without need for more size, then Wilson & Smith stick together on the 2nd, leaving the 3rd with Hodgson & Jarnkrok + 1. So the middle 6 looks like:

Wilson - Fisher - Smith
?? - Hodgson - Jarnkrok

Or, if the 3rd looks too soft, then split Wilson & Smith, so it's Wilson & Jarnkrok with Fisher and Hodgson & Smith + 1 for the 3rd. And the middle 6 looks like:

Wilson - Fisher - Jarnkrok
Smith - Hodgson - ??

It's the ??, the +1, that last middle 6 winger spot, which seems up for grabs...

Arv or Moses? Obviously with Moses sent down it appears to go to Arvidsson. But despite having appeared to play with more gumption and stability than Moses so far, I wouldn't be surprised if Arvidsson fizzled and Moses was recalled soon enough.

Personally, in this moment, I'd pick to split Wilson & Smith, but ONLY if Smith will play left wing. He's a right shot and really, Hodgson is awesome as the natural playmaker setting up a right handed left wing (see: Vanek's entire career and where he had career production as a right shot off Hodgson's wing).

All in, I think Moses' short term recall future depends upon how quickly the 2nd line is solidified - and if the 3rd line residue lags in producing offense.

In regards to Moses being recalled, based on what was said in the observations thread, I think that once he is called up, he will be here to stay. It is my understanding that he only has to play 1 game and he will have to be waived to be sent back down. If that is the true, the team would 1) make sure he was ready and 2) not risk losing him because there are several other teams that wanted him and he did choose us last spring.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
Given that Moses must go through waivers to be sent back down once he plays his first game, I don't think he will be recalled until he proves significantly more comfortable on the smaller ice. I would guess he needs to play very well for 20 or so games in the AHL before his next opportunity in the NHL happens.

A complete offensive collapse or a major rash of injuries could change that of course. I could also see him play all season in the AHL and, if he shows that he is progressing, he could be called up for the playoffs (which I think applies to Fiala too).

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Glad that Moses got set down, I'm sure we'll see him sooner than later but he needs to get acclimated to small ice and our system. Avridsson deserves it I'm excited to see what he can do.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
I can concur on this. New seats are really nice, but the leg room still sucks for long legged people in the lower bowl anywhere above row MM.

:laugh::laugh: I was actually in row MM last night.
My knees had to be pushing the (empty) seat in front of me up at least an inch.
People on both sides of me so couldn't really turn much or take their room away.
At 6'-3", I doubt I'll be sitting lower bowl again......unless it's a heck of a deal and comes with a jar of Vaseline. :sarcasm:

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Glad that Moses got set down, I'm sure we'll see him sooner than later but he needs to get acclimated to small ice and our system. Avridsson deserves it I'm excited to see what he can do.

Agreed. Haven't seen much of anything out of Moses yet.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
:laugh::laugh: I was actually in row MM last night.
My knees had to be pushing the (empty) seat in front of me up at least an inch.
People on both sides of me so couldn't really turn much or take their room away.
At 6'-3", I doubt I'll be sitting lower bowl again......unless it's a heck of a deal and comes with a jar of Vaseline. :sarcasm:

To go with the complaints on the seats, does anyone think that these will not hold up well? When I saw the material, my first thought was, yes they are soft but they look like they will puncture/rip easily.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Nice to see Arvy get his shot. Hope he runs with it. I'm sure we'll see Moses before long. Good competition.

Haven't seen much pre-season play, how has Jackman looked overall and who's he been paired with for the most part?

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
To go with the complaints on the seats, does anyone think that these will not hold up well? When I saw the material, my first thought was, yes they are soft but they look like they will puncture/rip easily.

That was my first thought precisely. Surely that would have been a consideration, though. Maybe they're made of some space age material that won't puncture or self repairs. If not, I should invent that, shouldn't I?

Anyone with a marker can mess them up pretty good, too.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Not that I thought he'd make the team, but how did Saros look in camp? I'm really looking forward to seeing how he does in Milwaukee this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad