Camp Set

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
http://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...ookie-camp-roster-nhl-training-camp/71325672/

9 days until rookies open and a week later the rest of the team reports. We have beat to death the trade scenarios, contacts and roster speculation. Now the rookie list is out and players making there way to town.

I have not found any camp invites which indicates Poile and Lavi must be ready to start the season with the current roster. The Jones trade poaching threads have calmed down and predictions have been made. Now its about time for it to be settled on the ice. For sure the central did not get any weaker and remains the toughest in the league. A really calm offseason and the excitement of getting started soon awaits us all. My typical Doom and Gloom is focused on hope but cautious still. We have a lot of questions that need to be answered in the next three months. And it all starts in 9 days...............

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
http://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...ookie-camp-roster-nhl-training-camp/71325672/

9 days until rookies open and a week later the rest of the team reports. We have beat to death the trade scenarios, contacts and roster speculation. Now the rookie list is out and players making there way to town.

I have not found any camp invites which indicates Poile and Lavi must be ready to start the season with the current roster. The Jones trade poaching threads have calmed down and predictions have been made. Now its about time for it to be settled on the ice. For sure the central did not get any weaker and remains the toughest in the league. A really calm offseason and the excitement of getting started soon awaits us all. My typical Doom and Gloom is focused on hope but cautious still. We have a lot of questions that need to be answered in the next three months. And it all starts in 9 days...............

perhaps a better topic for a different thread but I think you could make a case that the Central, and more specifically Chicago and St Louis, did get weaker. (And thats notwithstanding the Kane situation).

Dallas got better on paper but they have done that the last couple of summers and still have nothing to show for it, so I'll believe it when I see it. Minnesota added nobody. I honestly didnt pay much attention to Winnipeg.

I havent been this optimistic heading into a season since the Kariya/Arnott summers... just hope the Preds dont make me suffer for it..

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
perhaps a better topic for a different thread but I think you could make a case that the Central, and more specifically Chicago and St Louis, did get weaker. (And thats notwithstanding the Kane situation).

Dallas got better on paper but they have done that the last couple of summers and still have nothing to show for it, so I'll believe it when I see it. Minnesota added nobody. I honestly didnt pay much attention to Winnipeg.

I havent been this optimistic heading into a season since the Kariya/Arnott summers... just hope the Preds dont make me suffer for it..

I was more optimistic last summer than I am about this season. Last year the 3rd line and special teams were our demise. And while some changes have been made for the 3rd the special teams are going to be about the same as last year. I guess what I am right now is hopeful that Moses and CoHo can make a difference. I would honestly rather have Volch than Jackman who will probably end up being Gill 2.0. The back-up goaltending is still untouched. The new 3 on 3 will cost this team points. So I do not see this team as a better squad than last season. I do see the team as having more potential but there will be a few players that do not live up to that potential.

It is the best time of the year its a clean slate and we are open having as good a team in the central as the rest but it will be a dogfight the parity is even closer if St Louis and the Hawks did step back some. Theres really no way to predict who could finish atop the central I am not counting any team out. Even the Jets can't be counted out Maurice did a heck of a job last year with less talent than he has now. I can see the Preds finishing first or last I think its that close.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I was more optimistic last summer than I am about this season. Last year the 3rd line and special teams were our demise. And while some changes have been made for the 3rd the special teams are going to be about the same as last year. I guess what I am right now is hopeful that Moses and CoHo can make a difference. I would honestly rather have Volch than Jackman who will probably end up being Gill 2.0. The back-up goaltending is still untouched. The new 3 on 3 will cost this team points. So I do not see this team as a better squad than last season. I do see the team as having more potential but there will be a few players that do not live up to that potential.

It is the best time of the year its a clean slate and we are open having as good a team in the central as the rest but it will be a dogfight the parity is even closer if St Louis and the Hawks did step back some. Theres really no way to predict who could finish atop the central I am not counting any team out. Even the Jets can't be counted out Maurice did a heck of a job last year with less talent than he has now. I can see the Preds finishing first or last I think its that close.

not sure how 3 on 3 is going to cost us points. We were a mediocre shootout team last year so if we don't win in 4-on-4 I don't see us being all that much worse 3-on-3.

I think our special teams will be better. It just can't be that bad two years in a row. Can it?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I wasn't very optimistic before last season. I was hoping we'd be able to battle our way to a playoff spot but I had high hopes for 2015-16. We'll see, but I thought last year would be a transition year.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
not sure how 3 on 3 is going to cost us points. We were a mediocre shootout team last year so if we don't win in 4-on-4 I don't see us being all that much worse 3-on-3.

I think our special teams will be better. It just can't be that bad two years in a row. Can it?

Im not sure how special teams can be better. Its the same players unless some step up. The one bright spot could be Fish not missing 1/4 of the season which could help. The team was 25th in the league on the PP at 16.22% last year. The years where they have been successful on the PP there at 21 to 23%. This relates to 3 on 3 directly due to the open ice. The issue I see 3 on 3 is inability to prevent the other team from scoring while trying to score themselves. FF9, Riberio, Smith, Neal are not great defensively which is going to limit what Lavi puts out on the ice. This is the reasoning I made about using two defensemen in these situations. Last year the team lost 10 points in OT or shootout. When the team got to the shootout they were more successful than in OT. A sobering thought if the team last season had missed just 5 more points they would have missed the playoffs and the Jets would have been in. Hopefully the team does not go extra time as much this season but again with the competition in the central heck the west overall indicates that the number of games that go past 60 will be similar. We can be optimistic that the 3rd line can make a difference in preventing this, if not we will be cringing at OT.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Looking at the schedule it looks like there is not any scrimmages set for camp this year like there have been in the past.

http://predators.nhl.com/v2/ext/01_2015-16_Files/Media Training Camp Calendar.pdf

Being replaced by "preseason" games" and the rookie thing there having in Florida his year. Kinda leaves Pred fans outta the loop doing it in Florida, perhaps an agreement has been made to do it in Nashville at some point. The Panthers, Preds Bolts and Jackets look to be the training partners for now. Whats interesting the rookies games are away but 5 of the 6 full team games are in Nashville so that will make up for the lack of scrimmages I guess for the fans.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Being replaced by "preseason" games" and the rookie thing there having in Florida his year. Kinda leaves Pred fans outta the loop doing it in Florida, perhaps an agreement has been made to do it in Nashville at some point. The Panthers, Preds Bolts and Jackets look to be the training partners for now. Whats interesting the rookies games are away but 5 of the 6 full team games are in Nashville so that will make up for the lack of scrimmages I guess for the fans.

It was here last season at Ford ice

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
There's a scrimmage scheduled for Saturday the 26th at Ford Ice Center at 2pm.

Followed by the Skate of the Union.

Ah... well I missed that. I guess because it is typically before all of the preseason games and I figured once the games had started they would not be doing anymore of that stuff.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
That's weird considering there is a double header of preseason games at the Bridge that day. One in the afternoon around 3ish I think and then a 7pm game.

The double header is on Sunday the 20th. The scrimmage is on Saturday the 26th.

van22

May 25, 2014

Predators play Tampa Bay on Saturday at 6pm
Florida on Sunday at 2pm
and Washington on Tuesday at 9am (Nashville time)

Last edited:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Predators Reduce Roster to 53
Assign Carrier, Irving, Kirkland and Richard to their junior teams
Nashville, Tenn. (September 16, 2015) – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced Wednesday that the club has assigned forwards Justin Kirkland (Kelowna, WHL) and Anthony Richard (Val-d’Or, QMJHL), and defensemen Alex Carrier (Gatineau, QMJHL) and Aaron Irving (Edmonton, WHL) to their junior teams.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=779285
Updated Roster: http://predators.nhl.com/v2/ext/01_2015-16_Files/2015 Training Camp Roster - Sept 16.pdf

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Im not sure how special teams can be better. Its the same players unless some step up. The one bright spot could be Fish not missing 1/4 of the season which could help. The team was 25th in the league on the PP at 16.22% last year. The years where they have been successful on the PP there at 21 to 23%. This relates to 3 on 3 directly due to the open ice. The issue I see 3 on 3 is inability to prevent the other team from scoring while trying to score themselves. FF9, Riberio, Smith, Neal are not great defensively which is going to limit what Lavi puts out on the ice. This is the reasoning I made about using two defensemen in these situations. Last year the team lost 10 points in OT or shootout. When the team got to the shootout they were more successful than in OT. A sobering thought if the team last season had missed just 5 more points they would have missed the playoffs and the Jets would have been in. Hopefully the team does not go extra time as much this season but again with the competition in the central heck the west overall indicates that the number of games that go past 60 will be similar. We can be optimistic that the 3rd line can make a difference in preventing this, if not we will be cringing at OT.

Well if the same guys Preds had running the PP last year don't step it up this season, then maybe it won't be the same guys on the PP? Hodgson is a solid acquisition for PP time, as his stats over three years pacing 41pts, 68pts and 44pts respectively indicate - with much of that productivity coming from PP time.

What I'm gathering from reading this board is that there may not be many options to run the 3-on-3 with a mix of both quality offense and defense for a balanced 2-way strategy? So perhaps the strategy is tailored to fit the assets available - forget balance and go all in offensively or play the 3-on-3 tight and calm, force opponents to get frustrated with the shut down and make mistakes?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
What I'm gathering from reading this board is that there may not be many options to run the 3-on-3 with a mix of both quality offense and defense for a balanced 2-way strategy? So perhaps the strategy is tailored to fit the assets available - forget balance and go all in offensively or play the 3-on-3 tight and calm, force opponents to get frustrated with the shut down and make mistakes?
IMO Josi can be out there for quality offense and defense in 3 on 3. If Jones can prove himself worthy of handling the responsibility of being out there in these situations I think that's a best-case scenario. The other "obvious" choice is Weber but I don't know if he has the speed to defend all that well during 3 on 3. I'm assuming a lot of 3 on 3 is just gonna be a complete crapshoot for teams without dynamic, high-end forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad