Camp Set

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Blah. Well at least the 2nd PP unit this time actually generated a chance.

EDIT: 3rd PP unit ;-)

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
At least it looks like the team's learned how not to blow 3 goal leads after last season.

You mean by not taking 3 goal leads in the first place huh? Sneaky strategy. Verrry sneaky.

What's up with these ice times anyway? Riberio okay? Only 11:49 so far?

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Are they just giving up now? I know it is preseason and Rinne would have been pulled a long time ago in a real game but 7 goals??

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
WOW.

As of this moment, only Fisher, Hodgson and Smith aren't in the plus/minus red. Oh yeah, and Hutton. It's a fruity stat sheet to look at.

Gaustad -4, each of Wilson, Watson and Josi -3, a bunch more at -2. Wild.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Q: What do the Nashville Predators and the Titanic have in common?
A: They both look good until they hit the ice!

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
so, maybe we can spin this to say that there is no doubt the team will be focused these last few days before the opener... certainly won't be overconfident...

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Oh thank gawd - game over! :handclap:

I'm dumb-founded by the lines, a goalie left to float for 7 goals, the seeming oddity of ice times, and, um... well, about a goalie left in for 7 goals. Guess the coach has a strategy I just don't get.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Well camp is over really. And what have we learned? If the last two games are what traditionally is the starting lines for the season theres trouble on Broadway.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Well camp is over really. And what have we learned? If the last two games are what traditionally is the starting lines for the season theres trouble on Broadway.

I dunno 'bout lines, but ice times seemed odd to me - you guys are the Preds experts, would you expect to become common that Jarnkrok sees more ice than Neal, Arvidsson a couple minutes more than Forsburg, Wilson and Smith 1-2 mins more than Riberio?

From what I can tell, Arvidsson actually lead all forwards with 17:40m. That's 3mins more than Forsberg's 14:31 and Riberio's 14:40, 2mins more than Neal. Looks like only Gaustad, Nystrom and Watson played less than Hodgson and Forsberg.

Btwn the ice times and mushy lines and leaving Rinne in there for 7 goals, I gotta guess that Lavi decided at some point during the game just to use it as a wholesale scrimmage practice. Tonight cannot be what to expect, right?

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Here's a quickie video clip of the 5th goal - for those like me desperate to get a visual glimpse of what's happening with the Preds.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
To quote one of my friends who actually said this one year after a preseason loss: "The playoffs are a pipedream after this crap!" We always jokingly bring that up in times of unnecessary overreaction. So, the playoffs are a pipedream after this crap.

Last year we had 6 points in 6 preseason games. This year we had 7 in 6, as if it matters.

By the way, the "winners" of each division in last year's preseason were Toronto, Columbus, Dallas and LA. Clearly all that exhibition game magic translated into playoff glory.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
TBH I wouldn't be shocked if most of them were more worried about making it through without getting hurt than actually playing. I think if anything last season went a long way to showing guys that it is a long season, winning in October is great, but doesn't mean a thing if you can't win in March.

We shall see I suppose. I'm not overly concerned unless this is what we see when it matters.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
We didn't give up nearly as many goals last year but we did lose both of our last two preseason games to Cbus last year and I remember a good bit of fretting then as well.

We start the season at home with two teams that we should beat. If we lose both of them badly, I'll start to worry. Until then, we are a good team until proven otherwise

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I am going to try and forget pre season all together. There was some good but many troubling things in these 6 games.

Good Forsberg played well the first three games, Smith had a 2 goal game, Arvidsson appears to be a NHL player, Weber seems to suffer no ill effect of the dislocated knee cap, The 1st and 2nd D parings did well until the last two games of the preseason.

Bad Have to put Rinne at the top here is it the lingering effect of injury the break-up with fiancé or are his best years simply in the past? Wilson, Jarnkrok, Riberio 6 games with very little to show for it. PP just as inconsistent as last year one game 3 PP goals another game with 0/6 on the PP.

I expect that most will feel the team will hit stride at some point but the 1st 10 games are critical. Last year I recall people dismissing the problems until the team had played 20 games. The central is just as tough this year and the West looks to be improved overall. So a lot will depend on the first 10 games. Last year a quick start got the team rolling to the playoffs as we look back it was really the reason they made the playoffs. So the preseason leaves questions.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
lol the preseason always leaves questions, it's just whether one chooses to see the good or the bad from scrimmages. the team that beat TB twice or the team that lost to CLB twice? the rinne that played well in 3 games or the one that gave up 7 last night?

this will be a good team. how good? good enough? well one never really knows these things until about game 10 or 20. but in 4 days we start to get our first real idea. can't wait.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The thing is with preseason games is that games can get out of hand simply due too teams having different ideas of how they want to go about things. You take a team that is just using it as one last skate before the real thing and throw them against a team that is playing as hard as they would in the regular season and it isn't hard to figure out how it turns into 7-1 pretty quick.

Not to mention, once you get down 3/4 - 1 you have zero reason to get back in it, it is preseason. Plus it sounded like Lavi started just throwing out some odd ball lines just to see what happened, which can leave you in even more trouble.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Scrivens on waivers from Edmonton.

He wasn't great last year, but the Oilers D was a trainwreck, and he's better than Hutton.

I'd look into it if I was Poile. I think we'll need to spell Rinne more often this year and Hutton is not NHL caliber. This is not the year to go cheap with our backup goaltender.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN

He wasn't great last year, but the Oilers D was a trainwreck, and he's better than Hutton.

I'd look into it if I was Poile. I think we'll need to spell Rinne more often this year and Hutton is not NHL caliber. This is not the year to go cheap with our backup goaltender.

Yep, I'd take Scrivens if his price is reasonable.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Yep, I'd take Scrivens if his price is reasonable.

2.3 million for one year only.

We have something like 12 million in cap space, so I think Id do it if I were Poile. But it would mean either Saros or Maz goes to Cincinnati, unless someone claims Hutton, which they won't, and that might be why Poile doesn't do it

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011

I thought the same thing when I seen Scrivens was waived. I like Hutton, but we really need someone behind Rinne that has the ability to take over for him and carry the team. Hutton just can't do that. Is Scrivens the answer. Not really, but he'd be an upgrade.

Poile will stick with Hutton. Expect Rinne to be overplayed and hope he stays healthy. The odds are on Hutton's side that he'll have a save of the year candidate, which is nice I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad