Player Discussion Cam Talbot

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yup. Lehner is good and all but Talbot is clearly the best goalie moved that year. Dubnyk for nothing is an incredible trade and I think Talbot is right up there. Dubnyk was more luck, Talbot was 50% luck, 50% identifying the right goalie

Only problem with Talbot is that hes not 22. Wed be set in goalie for next 10+ years :laugh:

Ahh well Ill settle for 5-6 years

He's not 22, but he came to us with low mileage, so the engine and transmission should be good for quite some time.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Time to bump this thread! Talbot hasnt looked good start of this season. He cost us games, need to step up and make routine saves so we can win games when we have made enough up front. The problem is also that Brossoit doesnt get enough with back up games because Talbot wants to play every game. We need to give Brossoit enough games to develop his game and also if Talbot gets injured or gets cold in a playoff for example.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Wouldn't mind a 50-30 split of games between the two, to be honest. Based on what Brossoit showed against Vancouver and the heavy workload Talbot shouldered last season, it may be good to give him as light a load as possible this season just to keep him mentally and physically fresh. I know he says he plays better the more he plays but at some point the diminishing returns will be evident from overworking him.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Time to bump this thread! Talbot hasnt looked good start of this season. He cost us games, need to step up and make routine saves so we can win games when we have made enough up front. The problem is also that Brossoit doesnt get enough with back up games because Talbot wants to play every game. We need to give Brossoit enough games to develop his game and also if Talbot gets injured or gets cold in a playoff for example.

I'm not worried. He did this last year too. He just needs to get into a groove. Once he's in it, he can keep going. Plus it's not all his fault. Some of it is on the defence too. The whole team looked like they could slack off because they made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, but MacLellan set it straight to the guys this week.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not worried. He did this last year too. He just needs to get into a groove. Once he's in it, he can keep going. Plus it's not all his fault. Some of it is on the defence too. The whole team looked like they could slack off because they made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, but MacLellan set it straight to the guys this week.
Yeah our first few games last year were actually kind of rough from memory. Except we were outscoring a lot of our problems.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

He didn't cost us the Winnipeg game. Amateur level defensive play cost us that game.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Time to bump this thread! Talbot hasnt looked good start of this season. He cost us games, need to step up and make routine saves so we can win games when we have made enough up front.

The problem is also that Brossoit doesnt get enough with back up games because Talbot wants to play every game. We need to give Brossoit enough games to develop his game and also if Talbot gets injured or gets cold in a playoff for example.

Paragraphs are your friend. :D

Talbot has certainly not looked good to start the season. I would give Brossoit the Carolina start.

Talbot doesn't dictate who starts. It's up to McLellan.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
He didn't cost us the Winnipeg game. Amateur level defensive play cost us that game.
He didnt helped either,games can change quickly if a goalie shows up. Against the nucks he cost us, before get pulled. Brossoit earned the next start but didnt got it.

Paragraphs are your friend. :D

Talbot has certainly not looked good to start the season. I would give Brossoit the Carolina start.

Talbot doesn't dictate who starts. It's up to McLellan.

Saw it in some interview that he wants to play every game, thought they forced him last season(also Gus and a new baked Brossoit) but that wasnt the whole truth.
Perhaps he plays his best game with a heavy workload but it isnt good for Brossoits development.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Talbot was good one game, cost us the second, and couldn't steal the third.

He is only a little sub-par from last year, hopefully he picks it up and our defense gets its poop in a group as well.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

Talbot didn't lose the games, nor did he win them. Net effect is zero. Look no further than the team defence in those 2 losses.
It's highly likely Talbot returns to being a decent goaltender rather than a lights out Vezina contender - and that will infuriate fans to the point where they drive him out of town.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Talbot was good one game, cost us the second, and couldn't steal the third.

He is only a little sub-par from last year, hopefully he picks it up and our defense gets its poop in a group as well.

I couldnt disagree more with your first point. Talbot wasnt at his best for sure but this team gave up way too many dangerous scoring opportunities. It was unsustainable and had to be corrected.

Thats why I was place so much importance on those 2 losses...yes its very early but those habits are fatal and if they are not corrected in short order this team will miss the playoffs.

sundaysleftovers

Feb 28, 2013
Saskatchewan

The schedule gets pretty crazy in November(16 games), I could see Brossoit playing 4 - 6 games. Don't want to burn Talbot out before Christmas.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I like Talbot and feel he's a top 5 NHL goalie (or at worst top 10) BUT I would give Brossoit the next start because he looked excellent in his relief appearance. Arguably the best Oilers performance outside of McDavid's opening game heroics.

I don't really like seeing Brossoit sit that long after putting up a rock solid performance... reward him with a start and create some healthy competition in the lineup between Talbot and Brossoit as well.

They do that at the forward and D positions... why not in net as well.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Think Talbot is in trouble now with those kids. He's gone from the let the wife/mother in law take care of stuff and getting good sleep in other rooms phase to having to help out with everything with 2 rugrats running around everywhere and getting into everything in the house.

Just my opinion without having any idea of how he lives his life at home of course :) I do have a 3 and 2 year old though, and I'm pretty sure the last 2 years have taken 10 off my life span.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I couldnt disagree more with your first point. Talbot wasnt at his best for sure but this team gave up way too many dangerous scoring opportunities. It was unsustainable and had to be corrected.

Thats why I was place so much importance on those 2 losses...yes its very early but those habits are fatal and if they are not corrected in short order this team will miss the playoffs.

We agree Talbot was good game 1. The team defense was good. There wasn't too many high danger scoring chances.

Game 2 I put that almost completely on Talbot. Poke checked a goal into his own net. If I remember correctly goal #2 and #3 were both cases he lost sight of the puck for an extended duration, which should never happen. The team defense wasn't great but they were also playing from behind and trying to take a few more risks.

Game 3 I was agreeing was almost entirely on the defense/team defense and was just saying Talbot couldn't steal that one for us.

I typically start to panic in these situations. Making the playoffs is very difficult and we just lost 2 games we "should" have won. Our schedule is at it's easiest this month and only going to get tougher. A few things that are keeping me from panicking:

-Game one we were practically flawless. So it's not like we have not seen good already.
-Talbot typically is a bit slow to start, gets in his groove and never looks back.
-I thought Benning was good in game one and Nurse solid so far overall. Using these guys + Russell for the second pairing is dangerous but we don't have any other real options and both those guys could/should/would be prime for taking another step. All teams deal with injuries and many don't even have the depth of a Benning or Nurse.
-LB looked great.
-Coaching staff has done wonders with this group, I for once have confidence that the issues will be corrected moving forward.
-If things look bleak at game 10, scary as that would be, we have a GM not afraid to make a move. I actually think there isn't anything he realistically can do but he will certainly explore options. He knows this is the best line up/chance he is going to get to win a cup for the foreseeable future.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The good news is that the first game showed that the Oilers can play good defense if they're committed as that was pretty much a flawless game defensively from the entire team.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
We agree Talbot was good game 1. The team defense was good. There wasn't too many high danger scoring chances.

Game 2 I put that almost completely on Talbot. Poke checked a goal into his own net. If I remember correctly goal #2 and #3 were both cases he lost sight of the puck for an extended duration, which should never happen. The team defense wasn't great but they were also playing from behind and trying to take a few more risks.

Game 3 I was agreeing was almost entirely on the defense/team defense and was just saying Talbot couldn't steal that one for us.

I typically start to panic in these situations. Making the playoffs is very difficult and we just lost 2 games we "should" have won. Our schedule is at it's easiest this month and only going to get tougher. A few things that are keeping me from panicking:

-Game one we were practically flawless. So it's not like we have not seen good already.
-Talbot typically is a bit slow to start, gets in his groove and never looks back.
-I thought Benning was good in game one and Nurse solid so far overall. Using these guys + Russell for the second pairing is dangerous but we don't have any other real options and both those guys could/should/would be prime for taking another step. All teams deal with injuries and many don't even have the depth of a Benning or Nurse.
-LB looked great.
-Coaching staff has done wonders with this group, I for once have confidence that the issues will be corrected moving forward.
-If things look bleak at game 10, scary as that would be, we have a GM not afraid to make a move. I actually think there isn't anything he realistically can do but he will certainly explore options. He knows this is the best line up/chance he is going to get to win a cup for the foreseeable future.

Can't blame Talbot for game 2 either. Oilers were going to lose that one on a night where Mcdavid was dominated by Dorsett, Sutter and Horvat

Reactions: oobga

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Can't blame Talbot for game 2 either. Oilers were going to lose that one on a night where Mcdavid was dominated by Dorsett, Sutter and Horvat

tC7wVFm.gif

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You should probably check the stats on the game, McDavid dummied Dorsett like the AHL player he is.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The good news is that the first game showed that the Oilers can play good defense if they're committed as that was pretty much a flawless game defensively from the entire team.

100%. I am expecting a solid game on Saturday.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

-LB looked great.

I just think that the team defense hung Talbot out to dry and made his game look even worse. The D zone coverage was embarrassing and the gap control was just as bad. They gave up the prime scoring areas time and time again.

If the team plays good defence (even 80% of what they played in Game 1) I think they may have actually won both games.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Think Talbot is in trouble now with those kids. He's gone from the let the wife/mother in law take care of stuff and getting good sleep in other rooms phase to having to help out with everything with 2 rugrats running around everywhere and getting into everything in the house.

I don't get why pro athletes don't hire nannies. Seems to me like it would make sense. Give the wife some help and the dad can be at his best to play the game. It's a luxury most people can't afford, but if it prolongs his career by even one season isn't the investment worth it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad