Player Discussion Cam Talbot

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
After 7 games, 6 of which were starts he has a 0.917sv% and a 2.35 GAA. The games that he's started include St. Louis (2), LA, Nashville, Calgary and Detroit.

It was my belief that if he could come in and be > 0.915sv% that we'd have a shot at the post season. It is very early in the season but he has stood tall for us while new systems were implemented and he has given us a chance to win each and every game that he's started.

As NYR fans said, he is not easily rattled, he is confident in his abilities and the cherry on top of the sundae is that he is the best puckhandling goalie that we've had in quite some time.

I really hope that he can keep it up and that he'll be a long time solution in Edmonton.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah, I vote we sign this guy. I'm impressed at how calm he is in net. A few softies here and there but they don't seem to rattle him and really has a sense of calm back there. When the opposing team has a breakaway, you don't think it's an automatic goal.

I really think there is a decent gap between him and Nilsson, I just don't get that same sense of calm from Nilsson. Talbot should start 50 games this season at the least.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
After 7 games, 6 of which were starts he has a 0.917sv% and a 2.35 GAA. The games that he's started include St. Louis (2), LA, Nashville, Calgary and Detroit.

It was my belief that if he could come in and be > 0.915sv% that we'd have a shot at the post season. It is very early in the season but he has stood tall for us while new systems were implemented and he has given us a chance to win each and every game that he's started.

As NYR fans said, he is not easily rattled, he is confident in his abilities and the cherry on top of the sundae is that he is the best puckhandling goalie that we've had in quite some time.

I really hope that he can keep it up and that he'll be a long time solution in Edmonton.

Yeah, the big difference I've seen in Talbot so far vs every other goalie we've had in...forever... is he seems to have rock solid fundamentals. Puck handling, positioning, puck tracking, rebound control. We've had multiple goalies play lights out before - Scrivens and Nilsson this year come to mind - but they all clearly were getting by those games on great athleticism and a bit of luck. Athleticism is a great trait for a goalie, but you really need solid fundamentals to maintain consistency. It's why I have more or less penciled Talbot in as our starter over Nilsson already despite the small sample size.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
i'll eat crowpie right here and now. Seen enough. The guy has been fantastic in goal.
Sound mechanics, great mobility, fighting to make 2nd, 3rd saves. tracks pucks excellently and makes saves on deflections...:amazed:

My only worry is he needs spelling off occasionally and I'm not convinced he'll get enough of that.

This guy is so good that there will be a temptation to ride him. Depending on how the team in front of him is doing that could be a problem. Don't want to burn this guy out going down the road.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
i'll eat crowpie right here and now. Seen enough. The guy has been fantastic in goal.
Sound mechanics, great mobility, fighting to make 2nd, 3rd saves. tracks pucks excellently and makes saves on deflections...:amazed:

My only worry is he needs spelling off occasionally and I'm not convinced he'll get enough of that.

This guy is so good that there will be a temptation to ride him. Depending on how the team in front of him is doing that could be a problem. Don't want to burn this guy out going down the road.

What's gotten into you today? Start drinking some mood-lifting beverages early? :D

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
What's gotten into you today? Start drinking some mood-lifting beverages early? :D

I, too, noticed this. On account of whatever goodness he's channelling, I predict a stellar Talbot night and an Oiler W.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

no, but lets just hope theres no hangover from what I'm saying..:laugh:

In general I like the way Mclellan and McDavid channelled the latest loss. My take is they used it as incentive to sell a message of don't even leave the game in doubt. What you take from a result like that is that to make sure of a win you have to do more than play well in the 3rd period. Not a bad message for this club to be reminded of.

Talbot is just a clear case. Been very good in regular season for us. In every game.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I don't want to see him play more than 60 games this season because of that exact reason. He's not used to that kind of workload at the NHL level. Hopefully Nilsson and maybe Brossoit can spell him enough for him to keep fresh.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
no, but lets just hope theres no hangover from what I'm saying..:laugh:

In general I like the way Mclellan and McDavid channelled the latest loss. My take is they used it as incentive to sell a message of don't even leave the game in doubt. What you take from a result like that is that to make sure of a win you have to do more than play well in the 3rd period. Not a bad message for this club to be reminded of.

Talbot is just a clear case. Been very good in regular season for us. In every game.

I'm just bugging you. I agree with your perceptions and it's why I've been fairly positive since we hired McLellan - we're actually behaving, from top to bottom, as a good hockey club for once. Now, if Ebs comes back properly healed (instead of rushed), I'll be actually convinced that we've changed our ways.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Good so far, which means nothing unless at the end of the year he has kept up that level of play, both Dubby and Scrivens looked good for periods of time as well.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Good so far, which means nothing unless at the end of the year he has kept up that level of play, both Dubby and Scrivens looked good for periods of time as well.

If it weren't for this, I would think I was in an alternate reality today...

Positivity galore from Replacement and GreatKeith.

Thank you for keeping me grounded in reality, Beerfish.

Loving Talbot's game so far. I understand your point about our previous goalies, but neither of them looked as collected as Talbot has in their time with us. As has already been mentioned, a crappy goal doesn't seem to phase him, whereas our previous net-minders would basically open the floodgates with a stinker.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Loving Talbot's game so far. I understand your point about our previous goalies, but neither of them looked as collected as Talbot has in their time with us. As has already been mentioned, a crappy goal doesn't seem to phase him, whereas our previous net-minders would basically open the floodgates with a stinker.

That and he can handle the puck, neither of those guys were worth a damn at it. Scrivens was beyond awful at it. It is early but he has come as advertised and as long as we don't over work him, I think that we have finally found a #1 for us.

oilz89*

Yeah, the big difference I've seen in Talbot so far vs every other goalie we've had in...forever... is he seems to have rock solid fundamentals. Puck handling, positioning, puck tracking, rebound control. We've had multiple goalies play lights out before - Scrivens and Nilsson this year come to mind - but they all clearly were getting by those games on great athleticism and a bit of luck. Athleticism is a great trait for a goalie, but you really need solid fundamentals to maintain consistency. It's why I have more or less penciled Talbot in as our starter over Nilsson already despite the small sample size.

Reminds of another goalie we had who was great for us and his first name rhymes with Twayne :P

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
He has looked amazing so far. A true #1.

The sample size is pretty small though. I'm not going to anoint him as a perennial starting goalie until I see at least a full season or more.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Dubby looked very collected when he was playing well. My concern is that Ranger fans described him just after he signed with us with no reference to anyone else and the description sounded like Dubby to me.

We will see if he can keep it up. So far he's been very good and consistent.

In any case we have bigger issues with this team right now than tending. Our PP has to start bringing it regularly.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Reminds of another goalie we had who was great for us and his first name rhymes with Twayne :P

Yeah, I said 'forever' because I couldn't make up my mind if Khabi makes my 'fundamentals' cut. I think he does... he had pretty good fundamentals, just got old and broken real fast.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We wont know until we see how he bounces back after stinking up.

Last season he let in 5 goals twice... The first time he followed it up with 3 shutouts the next 4 games.

The other time he let in 4 goals the following game and 3 more afterwards.

Still curious to see how Nilsson responds after his last start.

oilz89*

Yeah, I said 'forever' because I couldn't make up my mind if Khabi makes my 'fundamentals' cut. I think he does... he had pretty good fundamentals, just got old and broken real fast.

I don't think he was broken. I think trading him was a mistake. He should've retired with us and should've became our goalie coach... with no Chabot :shakehead

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I had my doubts, and it's still very early, but I've been very pleased with his play so far. It's refreshing to feel comfortable and ease with the opposing team attacking as opposed to always worrying any shot from any spot could go in.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don't think he was broken. I think trading him was a mistake. He should've retired with us and should've became our goalie coach... with no Chabot :shakehead

Really? But he was hurt like every 5 games. I would've been okay with him retiring with us though. And anyone is better than Chabot was...

White Water Kayker

Nov 28, 2014
Yeah, I vote we sign this guy. I'm impressed at how calm he is in net. A few softies here and there but they don't seem to rattle him and really has a sense of calm back there. When the opposing team has a breakaway, you don't think it's an automatic goal.

I really think there is a decent gap between him and Nilsson, I just don't get that same sense of calm from Nilsson. Talbot should start 50 games this season at the least.

Agreed.

He's a calming presence back there, and given what he has in front of him I'm suitably impressed thus far. We'll see how things go as the season progresses and we hopefully get couple better Dmen...

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
Dipping into the Goaltending Numbers
By sunilagni @sunilagni on Oct 29, 2015

Cam Talbot has been a nice addition to the club. What can his early numbers tell us about the team?

One of the most important acquisitions this off season has been netminder Cam Talbot who was acquired for a package of draft picks in June. There was a lot of chatter among Oiler fans, probably since last December when the team went into a free-fall, speculating who the next goalie would be. Both Ben Scrivens and Victor Fasth faltered, forcing the Oilers to make a move to improve a critical part of the roster.

After ten games this season, I think most can agree that Talbot, along with Anders Nilsson, have given the Oilers stability between the pipes. The defence in front of them has struggled mightily, a trend that has continued from previous seasons, but Talbot has made some very timely saves, giving the team a chance to at least stay in hockey games.

Taking a look into the first month of last season (October 1 - October 29), we actually see that Scrivens posted some similar even-strength numbers as Talbot has this season. That should't be of concern since we're dealing with a small sample size here, one that included Scrivens' four game win streak where his adjusted save percentage was close to 0.940, well above his career average. However, what we can uncover, are some underlying numbers that could indicate a team that's improving when it comes to shots allowed. Please note, I've included the ranking of each goalie among others who played a minimum of 250 minutes.
http://www.coppernblue.com/2015/10/29/9633862/dipping-into-the-goaltending-numbers

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
He's a very good goalie in my opinion. Good numbers so far. Glad we got him.

He quick, mentally focused, well trained.

Weaknesses, drops down to early. Not a stand up challenging guy. If he works on that, we got an all star. Ive watched him and since the first game in edmonton, he consistantly does this (i posted in a thread after the first game). I believe the Montreal game is where the comentators mentioned it too. Teams are focusing on top corners...

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Thing is, he doesn't even need to be an All Star. Just needs to be good enough that the team actually believes he can make saves. That's exactly what he's doing right now and you can see it in the play of the guys in front of him. Like night and day from previous seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->