Player Discussion Cam Talbot

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I don't get why pro athletes don't hire nannies. Seems to me like it would make sense. Give the wife some help and the dad can be at his best to play the game. It's a luxury most people can't afford, but if it prolongs his career by even one season isn't the investment worth it?

You mean like celebrities? You mean like Ben Affleck?

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Think Talbot is in trouble now with those kids. He's gone from the let the wife/mother in law take care of stuff and getting good sleep in other rooms phase to having to help out with everything with 2 rugrats running around everywhere and getting into everything in the house.

Just my opinion without having any idea of how he lives his life at home of course :) I do have a 3 and 2 year old though, and I'm pretty sure the last 2 years have taken 10 off my life span.

haha that's exactly what I was thinking after the last 2 games but who really knows what his lifestyle is like? Maybe he needs another set of twins?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
You mean like celebrities? You mean like Ben Affleck?

Ben Affleck is such a random name I'm guessing something happened with Affleck and his nanny. Maybe?

I'm just sayign that if a nanny helps Talbot play better I think it's a worthy investment.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Ben Affleck is such a random name I'm guessing something happened with Affleck and his nanny. Maybe?

I'm just sayign that if a nanny helps Talbot play better I think it's a worthy investment.

I would bet many pro athletes have nannies. Guess it depends on the parents though. Some people see being heavily involved with the upbringing of their kids as the most important thing they can/will do in life.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I would bet many pro athletes have nannies. Guess it depends on the parents though. Some people see being heavily involved with the upbringing of their kids as the most important thing they can/will do in life.

That's great and a choice many people make.

If you agree to a job for $4M a year you clearly haven't honestly made that choice. Nobody pays you millions of dollars a year to put your kids ahead of the organization. There are of course some instances where the kids come first, but if you would prefer not to hire a nanny and that impacts your on-ice performance then don't sign the big contract. Not an unreasonable expectation that you should do your best to get the amount of sleep that allows for peak performance.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

If you agree to a job for $4M a year you clearly haven't honestly made that choice. Nobody pays you millions of dollars a year to put your kids ahead of the organization. There are of course some instances where the kids come first, but if you would prefer not to hire a nanny and that impacts your on-ice performance then don't sign the big contract. Not an unreasonable expectation that you should do your best to get the amount of sleep that allows for peak performance.

Fair points. I think the call would be more with the wife in this case though, that's kinda what I meant to imply with my comment. If the wife is staying at home and feels she can do the job, and wants to do it, hard to tell her she has to get a nanny. All these movie star families are usually both working parents and they really can't give up the time with their careers. Lots of 2 income families as well that I know that get a nanny from overseas or something, don't ask me how they afford it, must be something not fully up to snuff happening, hehe.

Probably taking this conversation way off track, especially considering none of us know anything about Talbot's home life :) Might be better just to default back to the slow starter argument.:D

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Lots of 2 income families as well that I know that get a nanny from overseas or something, don't ask me how they afford it, must be something not fully up to snuff happening, hehe.

From what I have heard it's about the same cost as having two kids in daycare. Of course you need a room for the nanny.

Good point about not getting diverted.

Last season Talbot's first three starts were weakish but he was rock solid the rest of October.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Not sure what you're going at here. Talbot is a fantastic goalie. He's been the best investment this club has made in years on an incoming player. He's the best added player since Pronger. He apparently loves parenting(which makes me respect him even more), as does his wife, and he's certainly not remiss in any aspect of his play, focus, or attention. He even did double time last season playing something like 85games. Backstopping a club that isn't always so great defensively.

Short version is Talbot had as much work and as many pucks to face as any goalie in hockey last season and was superlative. He's earned everything he's being paid and more.

Reactions: Throttlehead

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Short version is Talbot had as much work and as many pucks to face as any goalie in hockey last season and was superlative. He's earned everything he's being paid and more.

Great that you respect Talbot. I'm sure it's top of his priority list.

Here's what I'm going for. Was last season an outlier? So far it appears that Talbot has regressed. That is undeniably true.

Maybe he played too much last season. Maybe he will turn things around. Looking for answers to the slow start.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Here's what I'm going for. Was last season an outlier? So far it appears that Talbot has regressed. That is undeniably true.

Maybe he played too much last season. Maybe he will turn things around. Looking for answers to the slow start.
You have a short memory? He started last year poorly aswell, we just outscored his slow start last year, and he has been putting up very good stats throughout his career, putting up better numbers than lundqvist

To say so far he has regressed is laughable at best

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's much too early to say he's regressed.

He had a good 1st game vs Calgary... a shutout. Lots of easy saves sure, but he still saved all 27 shots.

Crap game vs the Canucks... 3 goals on 7 shots. Game was a writeoff obviously but I don't remember the last time before that when he was that bad.

Then, 43 shots faced vs the Jets... many of them very good scoring chances. I'd describe that game more as mediocre than bad.

So... one solid though relatively easy shutout game, one crap game, one mediocre game.

"Regressing" isn't something you can really assess after so few games imo. I expect him to come back and play solidly over the next stretch of games.

If Talbot is still having a good/bad/ugly series of games after the 10 game mark... then we'll have to start looking at the possibility of a regression occurring.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
So... one solid though relatively easy shutout game, one crap game, one mediocre game.

"Regressing" isn't something you can really assess after so few games imo. I expect him to come back and play solidly over the next stretch of games.

If Talbot is still having a good/bad/ugly series of games after the 10 game mark... then we'll have to start looking at the possibility of a regression occurring.

Fair characterization of his first three games.

If the puts up the same progression through the ten game mark. 3-7 or 4-6 is a reasonable start. At that point the panic button has got to be hit.

Argue the semantics of a regression all you want. Under .500 after 10 games is a big kick in the nads. I certainly hope Chia and McLellan fix what is wrong with this team before then.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

it is deniable that he's regressed. It depends on if you think that his skills have reduced, or if his reduction in play quality is a symptom of other issues on the team

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
it is deniable that he's regressed. It depends on if you think that his skills have reduced, or if his reduction in play quality is a symptom of other issues on the team

IMO its overtly simplistic to suggest that Talbots skills have regressed. How many goalies in the last 10 years played 70 regular season games (+ 13 playoff games) at as high a level as Talbot did in their 2nd season as a starter?

The defence and systems play are the 2 biggest culprits IMO. If that settles down in front of Talbot I think we will see much more consistent play from him. He is not one of my concerns.
Adding a capable backup however should be a priority.
Perhaps Montoya is that player. :dunno:

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
First year he was bad and lost the starters job. Didnt play for what seemed like a month or two and re-won the starters job.

Last year he was amazing, better then his stats and could have won the Vezina.

This year was complete and utter trash. First shot went in what like 18 times. Lots of softies. Then it was like a switch flipped and he was playing really good for 10 or so games until crapping the bed vs columbus (didnt get much help but a few were softies).

I honestly have no idea what goalie were gonna get. I like to think this year is the outlier and he is somewhere between last years amazing performance and his ok first year performance. \

Good thing we still have next year to see what we have.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Maybe Talbot can recover , weird stat with him he has the 37th best GAA all time in the NHL and 25th in the modern era he also has the 15th best SP in nhl history

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Maybe Talbot can recover , weird stat with him he has the 37th best GAA all time in the NHL and 25th in the modern era he also has the 15th best SP in nhl history
We’re living in the golden age of goalie stats. Talbot has been terrible this year. One guy on a long list of guys who need to be way better next year.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
he still stacks up really good with the golden age though and he is almost identical to price in every category and a lot better thhan other so called great starters of this era. He also is way ahead of some of the peak goalies in dead puck era But Hasek and Dryden were truly the cream of the crop for goalies in the history of the game Plante is up there as well
NHL Goalies ‑ All-Time Save Percentage Leaders

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
LegendaryThread.jpg

Top 40 all-time in GAA lol.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We need to find a young backup that could be a starter to challenge Talbot next year. If Talbot struggles like this next year no way Montoya can cover at all. We need someone to challenge him or our season is already over.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We need to find a young backup that could be a starter to challenge Talbot next year. If Talbot struggles like this next year no way Montoya can cover at all. We need someone to challenge him or our season is already over.

We haven't found a back up in 3 years, why start now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad