Waived: Calvin Pickard placed on waivers by Vegas. (Cleared)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
As bad a first game as Mase had, I feel like running a Hellebuyck/Pickard tandem would be highly inadvisable.

I know he's still quite young, but is he really better than McBackup?

Honest question.

I mean I know he had a rough year on Colorado last year but who didn't? he also has seasons where he has save % of 930 snd 922 so....... yes

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
You can claim a player off waivers and trade them. So long as only one team submits a waiver claim.

An addendum to this is that the team that claimed the player off of waivers has to offer him back to that team under the same rules and restrictions as if they were putting him on waivers, and if they decline, then they can trade him.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Save percentage among goalies with >30 GP in the last two years:

Pickard: 0.909
McElhinney: 0.906

Save percentage among goalies with >40 GP in the last three years:

Pickard: 0.913
McElhinney: 0.910

Not a huge difference here.

Tell me about it. First he passes up on Manson and Vatanen and Dumba, now he throws away Pickard.

Maybe he should wear the Dumba55 shirt.

He made deals with those teams to avoid taking those players. Brought back some pretty good young players and 1st rounders.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
No, those players weren't available.

I would argue that Dumba was available just like Methot and it was a bluff, given the scrambling Minnesota did to move out Scandella. But they did get Tuch, who looks extremely promising at just 21, and Haula re-signed for 3 years.

But yeah Manson could have left as a UFA in 2 years and Vatanen in 3. Better to build around a younger Theodore.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
No, those players weren't available.

They were available in the sense that GMGM could have chosen them had he not done separate deals to keep from choosing them. Then again, that also changes who is available from the other side.

Also, this is the GM that literally chose Chris Thorburn - a winger who was UFA come July 1st, and who he had no intention of signing - because he valued moving up 11 spots in the draft for one of his 1st round picks over what the Jets had available. Hard to tell if this is bad by design, or if GMGM is inept.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Toronto wouldn't pick him up for free. They'd at least want to shed a nothing contract in a trade if they were to take him on.

Reactions: bobermay

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Avs claim him and add him and fellow Manitoba boy Blake Comeau to Duchene trade for Jacob Trouba and random pieces. :naughty:

That part made me laugh. As if you'd get Trouba for this offer, but Trouba AND random pieces. You win the thread!

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
They were available in the sense that GMGM could have chosen them had he not done separate deals to keep from choosing them. Then again, that also changes who is available from the other side.

Also, this is the GM that literally chose Chris Thorburn - a winger who was UFA come July 1st, and who he had no intention of signing - because he valued moving up 11 spots in the draft for one of his 1st round picks over what the Jets had available. Hard to tell if this is bad by design, or if GMGM is inept.

And they weren't available in a sense that those teams did a deal with Vegas before the deadline to send in the protected list. Anaheim, Minnesota, whomever else trades their players before they lose them for free. Maybe MoredredGK is right and Vegas could have had Dumba, but we still ended up with Tuch and Haula, which isn't a bad move.

You think moving up 11 spots in the draft for a player you didn't even want is a bad move? Especially for a team that started with zero prospects? Any team makes that move 8 days a week.

Just because you don't like GMGM or he's a bad GM, does not mean every move he made was wrong.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Pickard is going to be claimed for sure, right? Someone with a start who could do with some competition?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Weird. Figured he was one of the few guys on the team they would be able to trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad