Waived: Calvin Pickard placed on waivers by Vegas. (Cleared)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There aren't lines around the corner for .904 goalies

Moby Stick

Jul 25, 2016
Denver
Avs claim him and add him and fellow Manitoba boy Blake Comeau to Duchene trade for Jacob Trouba and random pieces. :naughty:

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Can the Avs claim him off of waivers then? I know that they couldn't trade for him after the expansion draft, as that was one of the rules set in place to eliminate selecting a player, only to trade them back, but it said nothing about claiming off of waivers.

Interesting scenario, regardless. So much for the 3-headed monster in Vegas.

This is a strange deal. Thought he would be a perfect backup for MAF.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I would not be so sure he gets claimed.

Everyone is generally happy with their roster at this point.

Toronto already has 48 contracts according to cap friendly. Teams don't like going to within 1 of the limit so early.

for a potential starter you take the shot imo, plus with the way mcbackup has played in preseason pickard might be worth it right now as well

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm having difficulty understanding the moves Vegas is making. Is there really no trade market for Pickard?
I don't think there's any trade market for a Vegas player at all while we've got to get rid of someone to get our first line center out of the AHL.

PrOuLx

Jul 2, 2004
Joliette, Quebec
Boston has Khudobin as back up. Could play AHL with McIntyre and then trade Pickard in the off season for a pick.

Korpisalo can play farm and he is waiver exempt so Columbus could use his value too.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Pickard is not a very good goalie. He had an opportunity to establish himself with the Avs and royally screwed that up.

He's good for at least 1 soft goal a game. Not NHL caliber right now and probably never will be. Unfortunate because he's one of the best teammates around and has an extremely likable personality.

Reactions: Goldeneye

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This shocks me so much. Still has the potential to be a good starter in the league and has good value (or at least I thought).

He was barely apart of the VGK... guess they must be very high on Fleury and confident in Subban.

I say Edmonton picks him up.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
With Varlamov and Bernier, theres no way Colorado claim him.

They could realistically claim him and send Bernier down. Bernier isn't that good of a goalie (outside of the Sutter D systems in LA), and Pickard is a known quantity with them. Do they value him enough to claim for him, then send Bernier down?

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
I'd like to pick him up but like someone said it's a weird time of year to claim a goalie. I can't see Lou sending down McElhinney when he's looked fine in preseason and hasn't played a regular season game yet.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I'd say if Wpg could have traded Hutch or if he had been picked up on waivers then we could have claimed him

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Why would Vegas waive him, though? He's a legitimately good young goalie.

This is not the case. I'm not sure how closely you have tracked his development since his draft year, but it has been pretty rough. The holes that still exist in his technique make him a fringe NHL goaltender really. Not a lot of progress in the last 18-24 months either, almost none really.

This seems like one of those things, like a game of "telephone" where someone just assumes that he's a "good young goalie" but only because he was drafted and is young and there's no technical backing to it...the Knights didn't improve their situation, as Subban is decidedly not NHL caliber and was never a legitimate NHL prospect in my opinion, but Pickard is easy to upgrade upon from any perspective...

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Avs claim him and add him and fellow Manitoba boy Blake Comeau to Duchene trade for Jacob Trouba and random pieces. :naughty:

You can’t claim a player off waivers and turn around and trade him. The player has to remain on your roster for the rest of the season or put back on waivers.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Pickard is not a very good goalie. He had an opportunity to establish himself with the Avs and royally screwed that up.

He's good for at least 1 soft goal a game. Not NHL caliber right now and probably never will be. Unfortunate because he's one of the best teammates around and has an extremely likable personality.

You could put Carey Price on the Avs and he would fail to establish himself on Avs, he is a good young goalie and put up .904 Save % on the dumpster fire that is the Colorado Avalanche.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
They could realistically claim him and send Bernier down. Bernier isn't that good of a goalie (outside of the Sutter D systems in LA), and Pickard is a known quantity with them. Do they value him enough to claim for him, then send Bernier down?

Bernier just got signed as a UFA. There's no way he's getting sent down to make room for Pickard. If the Avs claimed him, Pickard would probably end up being the starter in San Antonio.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Agree 100%. People always overrate players that play in front of bad teams when they see glimpses of them playing well.

I don't think a lot of people realize Pickard was part of the reason why the Avs lost so many games in 3rd periods last year. He just couldn't make that key save.

He's a backup who can take the reigns for a while if need be, nothing more.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
They gave Bernier $2.75M. They aren't going to bury him in the minors before he even plays.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Bernier just got signed as a UFA. There's no way he's getting sent down to make room for Pickard. If the Avs claimed him, Pickard would probably end up being the starter in San Antonio.
Which they can't do as he would have to stay on the NHL roster if I recall.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
You could put Carey Price on the Avs and he would fail to establish himself on Avs, he is a good young goalie and put up .904 Save % on the dumpster fire that is the Colorado Avalanche.
A healthy Pickard couldn't outplay an unhealthy Varlamov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad