Prospect Info: Calgary Wranglers and Prospect Discussion Megathread

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Got to be cool for the players seeing a nearly full lower bowl after playing in front of a couple hundred at most in Stockton.

Zary's skating looks so much better this season.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Poirier scores the first goal in Wranglers history and his first professional goal in his pro debut.
DeSimone also had a nice snipe and Phillips put in a great backhand at the end of the 2nd to cut the lead to 5-3 Coachella.

Wolf got pulled but really not on him, he made a lot of big stops too. Firebirds came out with purpose and dominated the first half of this game.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I checked out ticket prices for Wrangler games and was pleasantly surprised that center ice tickets on the first level cost $22. I think my wife and I will definitely take in a few Wrangler games this year. Looking forward to watching upcoming NHL stars like Pelletier, Poirier, Wolf, Kerins, etc play a few games in person.

Reactions: Fig

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Wranglers comeback falls a bit short and they lose their opener 6-5. Real questionable no goal call in the third against Calgary too.

Zohorna and Duehr looked good, Phillips had two skilled goals, Zary and Poirier skated well. Pelletier wasn't good and neither was Sutter. Lind for Coachella had 4pts.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Wranglers comeback falls a bit short and they lose their opener 6-5. Real questionable no goal call in the third against Calgary too.

Zohorna and Duehr looked good, Phillips had two skilled goals, Zary and Poirier skated well. Pelletier wasn't good and neither was Sutter. Lind for Coachella had 4pts.
Questionable no goal call against Calgary in the third, oh boy here come the nam flashbacks

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I checked out ticket prices for Wrangler games and was pleasantly surprised that center ice tickets on the first level cost $22. I think my wife and I will definitely take in a few Wrangler games this year. Looking forward to watching upcoming NHL stars like Pelletier, Poirier, Wolf, Kerins, etc play a few games in person.
I was seeing about $32 for the game I was looking at, but yeah. Super affordable. As in "Oh I have a day off, and the Wranglers play at home, I'll go to the game" kind of affordable

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was seeing about $32 for the game I was looking at, but yeah. Super affordable. As in "Oh I have a day off, and the Wranglers play at home, I'll go to the game" kind of affordable

If you buy a season pass or half season pass, some of the side perks are pretty sweet as well. I think you get access to all the AHL games via stream, discounts, a free Hitman and Roughneck game and stuff like that which is already worth like $200-250 I think.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
These guys were so bad last night, not sure if it's just new season issues but I have never seen a defensive core that disorganized for an entire 60 minutes.

Wolf looked really, really good. He's not going to have good numbers this year if thats the D in front of him every night though. Lone bright spot in that regard was Meloche making some smart plays in the defensive end.

Pelletier, Zary and Phillips were total non-factors, which was disappointing as well.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Not a great start for the new team, dropping the 1st 3 games.
Zary already a team worst -7, and only 1 A, Pelletier -4 and 0 points.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Nice to see our prospects stagnating down there. You really wonder wtf is going on these last few years with development. We haven’t had an nhl regular beyond the 2016 draft make the team yet.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Nice to see our prospects stagnating down there. You really wonder wtf is going on these last few years with development. We haven’t had an nhl regular beyond the 2016 draft make the team yet.
Our prospects aren’t stagnating, we are just ironically seeing the fruits of an influx of prospects in our system. The AHL may be a developmental league, but the best teams are the ones chalked full of veterans insulating their prospects. We had to lose guys like Gawdin, Ruzicka (graduation), Froese, Kirkland, Philp on the front end, and Mackey (graduation), Valimaki, and Welinski on the back end to make room for younger prospects being added to the team. Anyone who wasn’t expecting a step back with a lot of young guys learning how to play against men given bigger roles simply wasn’t paying attention.

Not sure you fully appreciate the timeline it takes most prospects to make the NHL so I’ll lay it out for you. The 2017 draft is just starting to pay off for teams, we unfortunately had injuries derail Valimaki but Ruzicka is pushing for a spot right now. 2018 has 4 players who have played a seasons worth of hockey (82 games) outside the 1st round. 2019 only has 2. There isn’t a single player any draft after that who has. Not having a player on our team from the 2017 draft onward isn’t the scathing indictment you think it is, especially considering our 1sts have been mid 20s with the exception of one, or used to improve the team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2