Calgary Flames 2014 Draft Thread Part Deux

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I was at the Hitmen game last night. Sam Reinhart is gonna be the best of the 3 brothers.

Vertanin was barely visible and had zero jump for a playoff game.

And there is a 21 yr old on Kooteney named Franco...that kid was extremely impressive and fun to watch.

That is all.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I was at the Hitmen game last night. Sam Reinhart is gonna be the best of the 3 brothers.

And there is a 21 yr old on Kooteney named Franco...that kid was extremely impressive and fun to watch.

That is all.

Virtanen is inconsistent. I only listend to the game because I was driving back from London ON but it sounded like CGY just didn't want it enough where the Ice did. How was Travis Sanheim and Ben Thoman, did you notice them?

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa

That is all.

Was at game too, completely agree. Virtanen only had a couple bursts otherwise didn't notice him at all. Thought Sanheim played decent - one of the better Hitmen.

Went to Prince Albert vs Red Deer game a few days ago as well - came away very impressed with Draisaitl

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
We could do a regular player / snake draft for playoffs once the reg season is done

I'm down for whatever.

I mean **** son, let's spray rugaz on these motha.....

um, errr.... wrong crew. I meant to say let's have some playoff action!

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Virtanen is inconsistent. I only listend to the game because I was driving back from London ON but it sounded like CGY just didn't want it enough where the Ice did. How was Travis Sanheim and Ben Thoman, did you notice them?

Sanheim and Chase were good. It was my first Hitmen game so I was really watch Vertanen and Reinhart.

But Franco was noticbly better then every player on the ice. He was just traded to the Ice from the rockets I think. Don't know if he was drafted, too lazy to look. But I would invite him to try out for the Heat or even Flames.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Honestly, I think whoever drafts Virtanen in the top 10 (if he goes that high) is going to regret it. He's the most obviously flawed dude in the top end of the draft, and I'd put money on him topping out as a bottom sixer, if he doesn't bust entirely. Which means I'm crossing every digit I've got that the Flames leave him alone (luckily they seem never to draft Hitmen).

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Honestly, I think whoever drafts Virtanen in the top 10 (if he goes that high) is going to regret it. He's the most obviously flawed dude in the top end of the draft, and I'd put money on him topping out as a bottom sixer, if he doesn't bust entirely. Which means I'm crossing every digit I've got that the Flames leave him alone (luckily they seem never to draft Hitmen).

He's definitely going to be a project for whoever picks him.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Dal Colle had 5 points in first playoff game this year vs Mississauga.

I think Burke will pick DC for Truculence and as much as I think Dal Colle is NHL ready I'd like to see him one more year in the shwa. He plays LW now because Laughton is in the middle. So I'd like one year in junior carrying his team at C. Love Dal Colle although Draisaitl is still my pick (look last page for why)

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
I think Burke will pick DC for Truculence and as much as I think Dal Colle is NHL ready I'd like to see him one more year in the shwa. He plays LW now because Laughton is in the middle. So I'd like one year in junior carrying his team at C. Love Dal Colle although Draisaitl is still my pick (look last page for why)

I would prefer Draisaitl as well, but think he'll go top 4. Islanders, Florida, Edmonton aren't doing us any favors in the standings so looks like we'll be picking 5th at best. Good point about playing Center next year, I see that's what they did with Drouin when he went back to Halifax this year without MacKinnon.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Honestly, I have a feeling we'll end up drafting 6th. I think Ottawa is gonna go full tank mode (despite their easy schedule) and end up 5th... (Lucky ducks.... ;) )

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
I would rather have Ehlers IMO. He has been rising throughout the year. But I wouldn't be surprised if we picked him.

I like Ehlers better too, but yeah Burke and his truculence with go with Richie if we're picking between the 2. I'd really hope Burke would consider trading down if we end up picking 6th though, probably pick a few spots lower and get another decent pick as well.

A lot will happen on draft day though, veterans with contracts will most likely get traded so we could end up with more picks.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Seriously have any of you guys been paying attention to Elhers? I think this kid is the real deal, if we pick at 6, you have to think he'll be on our list. He has amazing speed, a great shot, and just an all around impressive tool box. I really think this kid is a lock to be a top line winger and I think he's played his way onto an equal level with Dal Colle and Draisiatl. The 1st round of this draft is much better than originally thought. I would take Elhers over both Ritchie and Virtanen. And not that he's high on my list, but even a guy like Nylander could end up being a top talent. There may be no Crosby's or a Stamkos, but I could honestly see a guy like Elhers turning into a Kessel caliber of player. Assuming Ekblad is gone, we will be taking a forward 100%. So hopefully next year we end up with our stud dman.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Seriously have any of you guys been paying attention to Elhers? I think this kid is the real deal, if we pick at 6, you have to think he'll be on our list. He has amazing speed, a great shot, and just an all around impressive tool box. I really think this kid is a lock to be a top line winger and I think he's played his way onto an equal level with Dal Colle and Draisiatl. The 1st round of this draft is much better than originally thought. I would take Elhers over both Ritchie and Virtanen. And not that he's high on my list, but even a guy like Nylander could end up being a top talent. There may be no Crosby's or a Stamkos, but I could honestly see a guy like Elhers turning into a Kessel caliber of player. Assuming Ekblad is gone, we will be taking a forward 100%. So hopefully next year we end up with our stud dman.

Yes seriously I've been paying attention to Ehlers. Yes I think he's the real deal. The question is does Burke think so? I think he'll make comparisons to Baertchi (very skilled, fast, smallish, European, LW'er) and pick pretty much anyone else. I'm a big fan of Baertchi as well for the record - just needs time to refine his all around game.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yes seriously I've been paying attention to Ehlers. Yes I think he's the real deal. The question is does Burke think so? I think he'll make comparisons to Baertchi (very skilled, fast, smallish, European, LW'er) and pick pretty much anyone else. I'm a big fan of Baertchi as well for the record - just needs time to refine his all around game.

He is listed at 6'0 though, he will likely still grow another inch or so. He's listed at 163lbs, but he has lots of time to add strength and muscle to his frame. I just see so much potential in this kid. It would not shock me at all if someone stepped up and took him in the top 3.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
I've seen a ton of Ehlers and I would love to have him. Barbashev is interesting as well as he is much more physical and more of a complete player. Given where we are picking I wouldn't take him that early though but if we could trade down and get another pick that would be nice.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Honestly, I have a feeling we'll end up drafting 6th. I think Ottawa is gonna go full tank mode (despite their easy schedule) and end up 5th... (Lucky ducks.... ;) )

Wouldn't surprise me either. Although we do have SJ/Ana/NYR coming up, then a date with guess who? Battle for 5th.

What are the %'s for the bottom 5 teams to move up?

All I know is I'd love to get Bennett, but there is no chance he falls to 5th. It'll be between MDC and Dras. Don't know who I'd want but most seem settled on one and want nothing to do with the other.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Highly doubt we draft sixth. We are likely to lose the next three games and that only leaves us to eight games left in the season. Meanwhile Ottawa/Carolina most likely would have won another game or two.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Highly doubt we draft sixth. We are likely to lose the next three games and that only leaves us to eight games left in the season. Meanwhile Ottawa/Carolina most likely would have won another game or two.

Very likely we go 1-2, then beat Ottawa. That alone might be enough to put us in
6th. But they still have games against Florida & NYI.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Very likely we go 1-2, then beat Ottawa. That alone might be enough to put us in
6th. But they still have games against Florida & NYI.

Do you honestly see us beating SJ, ANA, or NYR? I don't. NYR are on an absolute tear and won't have a collapse like the Ducks will. The Ducks will be looking for revenge and I bet the Sharks will be motivated to play tomorrow as they lost to the Caps.

The Sens will be trying to win as much as possible since they do not have their 2014 1st round draft pick.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Wouldn't surprise me either. Although we do have SJ/Ana/NYR coming up, then a date with guess who? Battle for 5th.

What are the %'s for the bottom 5 teams to move up?

All I know is I'd love to get Bennett, but there is no chance he falls to 5th. It'll be between MDC and Dras. Don't know who I'd want but most seem settled on one and want nothing to do with the other.

If we're lucky, NYI might move past the Flames and they'd draft 4th. If one of the top 4 teams is madly in love with Draisaitl, then we might see Bennett go to the Flames.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Lottery odds are as follows. Team that wins picks first (no cap on moving up 4 spots)..

30th place: 25.0%
29th place: 18.8%
28th place: 14.2%
27th place: 10.7%
26th place: 8.1%
25th place: 6.2%
24th place: 4.7%
23th place: 3.6%
22th place: 2.7%
21th place: 2.1%
20th place: 1.5%
19th place: 1.1%