Calgary Flames 2014 Draft Thread Part Deux

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Here's my mock draft:

#4: Sam Bennett - Centre, 6'0"
Player Comparable: Tyler Seguin
A lot of analysts are predicting we'll be able to pick up Bennett, as he now sits behind Ekblad, Reinhart and Draisaitl on most lists, and I agree with this sentiment and think it's a safe bet we could pick up Bennett. A near-elite offensive force, he combines good goal-scoring ability with an overall awareness in the offensive zone to turn games around. While his defensive game is merely average, it is not necessarily a shortcoming in his play. He could become a franchise player for the Flames and would make a great first-line centre ahead of Monahan to add offensive ability Monahan doesn't have.
I compared him to Tyler Seguin as far as his playmaking and goal-scoring skill goes, but a Seguin comparison ends up ignoring Bennett's physicality and grit, which is a fundamental part of his game and makes him another good pick for the organization.

#34: Jakub Vrana - Right Wing, 5'11"
Player Comparable: Tuomo Ruutu
Vrana is a solid Swedish winger projected to go in the late first or early second round. While not the largest player, Vrana is not a pushover and possesses a good amount of skill in his game that results in great plays - in addition to Tuomo Ruutu, one could compare him to a less-skilled Sven Baertschi. His defensive ability and consistency are his biggest shortcomings right now.
I compared him to Tuomo Ruutu because of each players' similar upsides and the tendency each unfortunately has to be on and off. While Vrana may struggle at first, patience is necessary from management and the fanbase.

#58: Brett Pollock - Centre, 6'2"
Player Comparable: John Mitchell
A solid all-around centre with decent size who would be a good selection for the second of our second-round picks. Pollock is a tough player who runs a brick and mortar game and who is about as good offensively as he is defensively. He would fit in well on a hardworking Calgary team.
I compared Pollock to Colorado's John Mitchell because each play a solid bottom-six game and both exercise a decent amount of physicality in their play as well without being an enforcer or thug. Pollock however is probably a bit better defensively than Mitchell.

#64: Lucas Wallmark - Centre, 6'0"
Player Comparable: Calle Jarnkrok
Potentially a steal in the third round, Wallmark is an offensively gifted Swedish centre who is good in all three zones. With a high level of puck control and an ability to push the game forward, Wallmark is an intriguing prospect to say the least who could someday be a good bottom-six option for the Flames.
I compared Wallmark to Nashville Predators prospect Calle Jarnkrok because each have high levels of skill and are great at moving the puck. Jarnkrok certainly has a higher offensive upside but each play similar games.

#85: Radel Fazleyev - Centre, 6'0"
Player Comparable: Andrei Loktionov
A solid Hitmen player, Fazleyev is a decent Russian centre who probably caps out as an AHL/NHL tweener as one of the first injury callups. Fazleyev has a good all-around game in the same way Pollock does, and is not particularly flashy or disruptive but rather would be dependable in a fourth-line role for the Flames
I compared Fazleyev to Hurricanes forward Andrei Loktionov because each are Russian centres with similar upside. Loktionov's game is a little flashier and riskier, however, making Fazleyev a better pick.

#179: Roberts Lipsbergs - Right Wing, 5'10"
Player Comparable: Artem Demkov
Apart from being the player in this draft with the most unnecessary s's in his name, Lipsbergs also fills a need at right wing for the club. While it is doubtful he will ever be an NHL player, he might be a good depth character to have as a goal scorer in the ECHL. Lipsbergs is a small player with offensive instincts who would need to improve his consistency in all three zones to make the big show.
I compared Lipsbergs to ECHL player Artem Demkov because both have a scoring knack and are small players who can sometimes disappear if they don't have the puck.

#184: Tyler Wong - Right Wing, 5'9"
Player Comparable: Matt Bergland
An extremely similar player to Lipsbergs, Wong is a small but gritty player who has a set of decent skills but lacks the all-around capability to be successful at a higher than ECHL level. He could surprise the organization by improving his defensive game but for now he is best thought of as a farm team role-player.
I compared Wong to ECHL player Matt Bergland because both are small players who are not afraid to engage physically and who have decent offensive skill at their league's level.

While I think that you have a good mock, I prefer this one:

#4 Sam Bennett C 6'0" ~170 lbs gritty, fast, hard-working center with all around play

#34 Travis Sanheim D Huge defenseman who can score

#58 Hunter Smith RW Huge RW who has proven himself in the playoffs

#64 Ben Thomas D Another large defenseman (paired with Sanheim on the Hitmen) who was raised in Calgary, only played on Calgary teams and says his favorite team is Calgary

#85 Jaedon Desheneau (? spelling) RW Tiny, like Gaudreau, but has proven he can have a hell of a scoring season.

Past that it doesn't really matter to me who we pick. I don't think we have picks in the 4,5 or 6th round.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
While I think that you have a good mock, I prefer this one:

#4 Sam Bennett C 6'0" ~170 lbs gritty, fast, hard-working center with all around play

#34 Travis Sanheim D Huge defenseman who can score

#58 Hunter Smith RW Huge RW who has proven himself in the playoffs

#64 Ben Thomas D Another large defenseman (paired with Sanheim on the Hitmen) who was raised in Calgary, only played on Calgary teams and says his favorite team is Calgary

#85 Jaedon Desheneau (? spelling) RW Tiny, like Gaudreau, but has proven he can have a hell of a scoring season.

Past that it doesn't really matter to me who we pick. I don't think we have picks in the 4,5 or 6th round.

Don't like Smith and now we'd have a pick in the 40's with the Avs. Deschaneau is too small and I think he's a left winger as well.

We have a 6th as well.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Don't like Smith and now we'd have a pick in the 40's with the Avs. Deschaneau is too small and I think he's a left winger as well.

We have a 6th as well.
The Avs pick will not be in the 40s. It is currently sitting 55th and could be as high as 53rd if the Avs and Ducks are eliminated in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The Avs pick will not be in the 40s. It is currently sitting 55th and could be as high as 53rd if the Avs and Ducks are eliminated in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Good news! The Avs were eliminated in the 2nd round-1 of the playoffs.

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
:flames 7 ROUND MOCK DRAFT

4: Sam Bennett LW, Kingston Frotenacs OHL
57(gp)-36(g)-55(a)-91(pts)•6'0, 178 lbs, shoots left, June 20th 1996 (17)
The most complete player in the draft and I think Edmonton takes Draisaitl goes 3rd. Hopefully he turns out like Jonathan Toews and how he fell, and visions of Doug Gilmour pop into your head while you're watching him. He's an elite backchecker and will work really hard in the corners. Has a very high work ethic and compete level. He wants the puck on his stick in big situations and is very clutch. Very elusive in all zones has quick hands and is always very calm. Wizard behind the net. Generates a lot of scoring chances and has deceptive speed.

34: Jack Dougherty D, USHL (will attend U of Wisconsin)
23(gp)-4(g)-8(a)-12(pts)•6'1, 186 lbs, shoots right, May 25th 1996 (17)
Dougherty should be a first rounder. He is a very soild defenseman who doesn't make a lot of mistakes yet can still be flashy. Reminds me of 2013 draftee and Philadelphia Flyer Robert Hägg. Jack finds the lane well from the point and can QB a PP. He is a great breakout passer. He is still has a lpt of room to grow and his starting to develop his physical game. He's starting to hit a lot but he never puts himself out of position. I have him at 23 on my rankings. His best asset is he knows when to jump into the rush and is effective once he joins.

52: Eric Cornel RW, Peterborough Petes OHL
68(gp)-25(g)-37(a)-62(pts)•6'2, 184 lbs, shoots right, April 11th 1996 (18)
Big power right winger. He has really improved his game as he's growing. He has good hands for a big player like him. Has a cannon of a shot. He has great offensive vision. Is a very strong on the puck and is very string on the forecheck. Great backchecker as well. Has the drive and desire needed to be a good power forward. Has a very powerful stride. Makes players around him look very good.

64: Ben Thomas D, Calgary Hitmen WHL
72(gp)-7(g)-24(a)-31(pts)•6'2, 183 lbs, shoots right, May 28th 1996 (17)
Strong two way defenseman. Born in Calgaryand has played for Calgary teams his whole life. Very high compete level. Good blend of size and skill. Has nice hands for a defenseman and can move around forecheckers. Great acceleration. Keep getting better on the powerplay. Has a quick stick to break up plays. Uses his size well. Good hitter and great boardplay. A little slow skating backwards

85: Keegan Iverson RW, Portland Winterhawks WHL
67(gp)-20(g)-22(a)-42(pts)•6'1, 210 lbs, shoots right, April 5th 1996 (18)
Big winger who takes no prisoners. Has soft hands and a good passer. He is a great forechecker who bumps bodies in front of the net, in the corner and on the boards. Has a great shot but needs a quicker release. Isn't a proven scorer but he keeps improving on the offensive end.

179: Joe Hicketts D, Victoria Royals WHL
36(gp)-6(g)-18(a)-24(pts)•5'8, 186 lbs, shoots left, May 4th 1996 (17)
Small defenseman at 5"8 but is a workhorse. Has some good strength. Great shooter from the point. Fires wrist shots for a tip and rebounds. He's a leader in the dressing room. Needs to get a little faster. He is durable and if hegets injured he comes back at full stride. Has matched his career best in goals and points with half the games.

184: Sebastion Fuchs LW, Kanai River NAHL (next year going to USHL, two years to U of Denver)
57(gp)-12(g)-26(a)-38(pts)•5'10, 180 lbs, shoots left, September 15th 1996 (17)
Swedish winger who is very quick and has an elite hockey sense. He keeps plays alive. He's the youngest kid in his class and I think if he was next years draft he'd go 5th round. He can carry a team and PP the powerplay. Very consistent. Great puck possession and a great give and go player. Greatin small spaces.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Good news! The Avs were eliminated in the 2nd round-1 of the playoffs.
Doesn't make a difference. The Avs are a division winner, their picks will be after all the team eliminated in round 1 or 2 not named Boston or Anaheim.

for those confused:

Okay, so this is how the draft order is decided this year.

• Pick #1: Draft Lottery Winner
  • Picks #2-13: Non-playoff teams in reverse order of regular season standings (excluding New Jersey Devils)
  • Picks #14-25: Teams eliminated 1st and 2nd rounds of playoffs. Non-division winners in the reverse order of the standings, then division winners in the reverse order of the regular season standings.
  • Picks #26 & 27: Conference Finalists in reverse order of the regular season standings
  • Pick #28: Stanley Cup Finalist
  • Pick #29: Stanley Cup Winner
  • Pick #30: New Jersey Devils

Last edited:

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
My 2014 FLAMES Mock

#4. Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert WHL - Center / LS / 6'1" / 209 lbs

Amazing vision / passing. He played on a poor PA team this year and put up a tonne of points and primary assists. Playmaking, puck protection and IQ are his best assets. Extremely good stickhandling / puck skills. Very good shot, but tends to look for the setup first. His great positioning and IQ lead to a large amount of takeaways. His skating deficiencies are overstated - he's an average skater, could work on acceleration. Put consistency issues to sleep this year scoring roughly 2 points per game in the second half of the year. My NHL comparible would be some freakish combination of Kopitar and Joe Thornton (poor Joe).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OgGePOnwNg

Possible alternative picks: Sam Bennett - Kingston OHL (C/LW), Michael Dal Colle - Oshawa OHL (LW)

#34. Jack Dougherty - USDP - Defense / RS / 6'2" / 185 lbs

He's the type of prospect the Flames are looking for in a defenseman (Decent size, RHS). Very good 2 way play, great decision maker, can move the puck and make a big hit. Developing offensive game this year. Potential mid pairing defenseman. NHL Comparible is Eric Johnson.

"Dougherty is an intelligent defenseman who tries to blend strong positioning while trying to inflict a physical dimension on his opponent. He isn't the fleetest of foot, but does get where he needs to go. He also makes a strong first pass and has solid offensive instincts" Future Considerations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOMWViJLlMI

Possible alternatives: Eric Cornel - Peterborough OHL (RW/C), John Quennville - Brandon WHL (C)

#58. Nick Magyar - Kitchener OHL - RW / RS / 6'2" / 192 lbs

Magyar is a very interesting prospect. He's isn't overly flashy but already plays an NHL style game. Fast on the rush, fairly physical, backchecks hard and has good offensive instincts. Has a good shot, likes to score off cycle and is positionally sound. Takes puck to net and scores dirty goals as well. Had 20 goals and lead the Rangers in his first year. He's been steadily climbing draft boards all year. NHL Comparables at this point are difficult since he is fairly raw, he could develop more offense and/or physicality next year (I see a bit of Perry in the vids). Looks like a top 6 winger if all goes well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjRIvG6XM9c

Possible alternatives: Ben Thomas - Calgary WHL (D), Ryan Collins - USDP (D)

#64. Blake Siebenaler - Niagra OHL - Defense / RS / 6'1" / 190 lbs

A defenseman with playmaking upside. I see us likely missing out on Sanheim so this pick compensates for it. We have some defensive minded defensemen in system, this gives us a sound defender with some offensive pop to his game. Has decent size and good mobility, runs powerplay effectively. Possibly a little under the radar this year. NHL Comparible is Goligoski.

"Siebenaler is an offensive minded defender who makes excellent reads in the offensive zone and dishes crisp passes. He skates beautifully with the puck and controls the point well on the powerplay. He is learning to be more consistent in his defensive game." Future Considerations

Possible alternatives: Connor Chatham - Plymouth OHL (RW), Alex Peters - Plymouth OHL (D)

#85. Keegan Iverson - Portland WHL - RW / RS / 6'0" / 216 lbs

Power forward type who tries to emulate game after Iggy (self admission). Lost a little bit in the depth chart of the Portland roster. May develop more offense with increased icetime as players graduate from Portland. Relentless forechecker, scrappy.

"A big strong power winger who is not scared to throw his weight around and do the heavy lifting on a scoring line. He is at his best fighting for loose pucks and battling for space in front of the opposing net. Does not possess the highest skill level." Future Considerations.

Possible alternatives: Austin Poganski - ND (RW), Aaron Haydon - Niagra OHL (D)

#179. Matt Murphy - Halifax QMJHL - Defense / LS / 6'2" / 198 lbs

Passed over last years draft (which I generally don't like), but has developed better in Halifax since trade late last year. Another mobile defenseman with decent size (yes theres a theme here) with playmaking accumen. Very good skater, skilled with good shot. Having good playoff in a bigger role with Halifax this year with 11 pts in 16 games thus far. A bit of a project in terms of balancing offense with defense but skills are present. Great value here - steal if he can put everything together.

#184. Chase Lang - Calgary WHL - RW / RS / 6'1" / 182 lbs

This guy is a buzz-saw type player with great motor and work ethic / character. Another RS, RW with decent size (yes another one). Good 2 way positional player, physical / truculent. Strongest on Hitmen (by his own admission, lol). Upside at NHL level would be limited but not a wasted pick by any means. Could turn out to be a Bouma type player in NHL.

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
My 2014 FLAMES Mock

#4. Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert WHL - Center / LS / 6'1" / 209 lbs

Amazing vision / passing. He played on a poor PA team this year and put up a tonne of points and primary assists. Playmaking, puck protection and IQ are his best assets. Extremely good stickhandling / puck skills. Very good shot, but tends to look for the setup first. His great positioning and IQ lead to a large amount of takeaways. His skating deficiencies are overstated - he's an average skater, could work on acceleration. Put consistency issues to sleep this year scoring roughly 2 points per game in the second half of the year. My NHL comparible would be some freakish combination of Kopitar and Joe Thornton (poor Joe).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OgGePOnwNg

Possible alternative picks: Sam Bennett - Kingston OHL (C/LW), Michael Dal Colle - Oshawa OHL (LW)

#34. Jack Dougherty - USDP - Defense / RS / 6'2" / 185 lbs

He's the type of prospect the Flames are looking for in a defenseman (Decent size, RHS). Very good 2 way play, great decision maker, can move the puck and make a big hit. Developing offensive game this year. Potential mid pairing defenseman. NHL Comparible is Eric Johnson.

"Dougherty is an intelligent defenseman who tries to blend strong positioning while trying to inflict a physical dimension on his opponent. He isn't the fleetest of foot, but does get where he needs to go. He also makes a strong first pass and has solid offensive instincts" Future Considerations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOMWViJLlMI

Possible alternatives: Eric Cornel - Peterborough OHL (RW/C), John Quennville - Brandon WHL (C)

#58. Nick Magyar - Kitchener OHL - RW / RS / 6'2" / 192 lbs

Magyar is a very interesting prospect. He's isn't overly flashy but already plays an NHL style game. Fast on the rush, fairly physical, backchecks hard and has good offensive instincts. Has a good shot, likes to score off cycle and is positionally sound. Takes puck to net and scores dirty goals as well. Had 20 goals and lead the Rangers in his first year. He's been steadily climbing draft boards all year. NHL Comparables at this point are difficult since he is fairly raw, he could develop more offense and/or physicality next year (I see a bit of Perry in the vids). Looks like a top 6 winger if all goes well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjRIvG6XM9c

Possible alternatives: Ben Thomas - Calgary WHL (D), Ryan Collins - USDP (D)

#64. Blake Siebenaler - Niagra OHL - Defense / RS / 6'1" / 190 lbs

A defenseman with playmaking upside. I see us likely missing out on Sanheim so this pick compensates for it. We have some defensive minded defensemen in system, this gives us a sound defender with some offensive pop to his game. Has decent size and good mobility, runs powerplay effectively. Possibly a little under the radar this year. NHL Comparible is Goligoski.

"Siebenaler is an offensive minded defender who makes excellent reads in the offensive zone and dishes crisp passes. He skates beautifully with the puck and controls the point well on the powerplay. He is learning to be more consistent in his defensive game." Future Considerations

Possible alternatives: Connor Chatham - Plymouth OHL (RW), Alex Peters - Plymouth OHL (D)

#85. Keegan Iverson - Portland WHL - RW / RS / 6'0" / 216 lbs

Power forward type who tries to emulate game after Iggy (self admission). Lost a little bit in the depth chart of the Portland roster. May develop more offense with increased icetime as players graduate from Portland. Relentless forechecker, scrappy.

"A big strong power winger who is not scared to throw his weight around and do the heavy lifting on a scoring line. He is at his best fighting for loose pucks and battling for space in front of the opposing net. Does not possess the highest skill level." Future Considerations.

Possible alternatives: Austin Poganski - ND (RW), Aaron Haydon - Niagra OHL (D)

#179. Matt Murphy - Halifax QMJHL - Defense / LS / 6'2" / 198 lbs

Passed over last years draft (which I generally don't like), but has developed better in Halifax since trade late last year. Another mobile defenseman with decent size (yes theres a theme here) with playmaking accumen. Very good skater, skilled with good shot. Having good playoff in a bigger role with Halifax this year with 11 pts in 16 games thus far. A bit of a project in terms of balancing offense with defense but skills are present. Great value here - steal if he can put everything together.

#184. Chase Lang - Calgary WHL - RW / RS / 6'1" / 182 lbs

This guy is a buzz-saw type player with great motor and work ethic / character. Another RS, RW with decent size (yes another one). Good 2 way positional player, physical / truculent. Strongest on Hitmen (by his own admission, lol). Upside at NHL level would be limited but not a wasted pick by any means. Could turn out to be a Bouma type player in NHL.

Like the way you think

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
Canucks fan coming in peace

Imo...I think Cornel and Smith go alot higher than you project. Pollack will also rise after his great performance in WHL playoffs.

Vrana is a Czech playing in Sweden with wheels and had a great showing at U18.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
I'd do a mock draft but I don't know enough about any of the prospects past the second round. :laugh:
All I know is with the fourth I want Bennett or Dal Colle.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Canucks fan coming in peace

Imo...I think Cornel and Smith go alot higher than you project. Pollack will also rise after his great performance in WHL playoffs.

Vrana is a Czech playing in Sweden with wheels and had a great showing at U18.

Agreed. I tried to do my draft with draftsite so I could gauge what other teams would pick. Cornel I think will go right around our second at 35 and Pollack shortly after. Vrana borderline 1st rounder. Likely all top ~50s. Someone will bite on Smith - I hope it isn't us..

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Well you would think one of Glover, Dougherty, or Honka would be available at 34. Otherwise some pretty good forwards are going to drop out of the first round.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Some of these suggestions like Vrana, Honka, Dougherty would be huge steals with our 2nd.

Isn't Vrana rated like a top 5 European skater for this year? I think he's going to be going closer to the 20 mark than the 30-60 mark.

On the other hand, there are some kids, like Vrana and Ho-Sang that have the chance to slip at this draft, only because the 20's are always a little less predictable (see Jankowski, and Poirier) than the earlier picks.

My hope is that one of those two slips to the second round, Ho-Sang especially.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Isn't Vrana rated like a top 5 European skater for this year? I think he's going to be going closer to the 20 mark than the 30-60 mark.

On the other hand, there are some kids, like Vrana and Ho-Sang that have the chance to slip at this draft, only because the 20's are always a little less predictable (see Jankowski, and Poirier) than the earlier picks.

My hope is that one of those two slips to the second round, Ho-Sang especially.

Agreed on all points. If Ho-Sang slipped to us id be thrilled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad