Calgary Flames 2014 Draft Thread Part Deux

TheClassicK*

So what would you say is his biggest weakness, then? If not skating, then you must find another part of his game to be lacking.
Well I had to search for what his strengths and weaknesses are, and found this:
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?4984

According to The Hockey News,
Flaws: Is not a physical player, despite his massive frame. Must continue to work on his offensive consistency, something he's counted on for. Could stand to become a little more assertive on offense.

And look at that, they're also saying
Assets: Has terrific hands, creativity, shiftiness, skating ability and the potential for great plays every time he's on the ice. Owns the size all NHL teams crave from the center position. Is responsible in his own end.

I don't think that's what they mean, though. While Kopitar has no 'weakness' perse, I do believe skating would be his weakest point as a player, you know? Of course, his skating is still pretty good, but if he were to improve one thing, it would be his skating.
Well it might be my misunderstanding, but at the time Gillies32 was saying that, it came across like he said Kopitar wasn't a good skater. I still don't think that's his "biggest" weakness (edit) though.

Their styles are the same but you were saying that Draisaitl could easily turn outlike him where Hanzal is lacking Draisaitl's two best qualities. I think Kopitar's biggest weakness is his skating and you still haven't said what is his weakness.
I never said LD could "easily turn out like Hanzal". And that's why I'm saying this: you obviously don't know enough about Hanzal's stint in the dub because he showed he can distribute pucks. So yes, you could say he has the passing ability which is definitely not "LEVELS" below as you ridiculously claim.

I mentioned Monahan becasue you're very concerned about LD's skating. People were worried about Monahan's skating.
Yeah, so do we really need two top centers that are not exceptional skaters? Most playoff teams have a top center that can carry the puck with speed through the neutral zone. They're often the focal point of their attack too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
You made a good point about Monahan and the 2 slower centers. You did say
I wouldn't be at all suprised if Draisaitl turned out like Hanzal

I'm still curious if you don't like Draisaitl or just like Dal Colle better

TheClassicK*

ClassicK, I have a few questions for you

If we drafted 5th and Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle were off the board, would you take Draisaitl?

If not, why?
Well, it's a darn awesome thing we're not picking 5th so I don't have to worry about that.:laugh: So no, I'm not sure who I'd be happy with because I really haven't dug in deep about how good Nylander and Perlini are, who are 5th and 7th according to ISS.

What I've read so far about Nylander is pretty good since he's described as that elite offensive center who's shifty, agile, and speedy, and is one of the best in the draft class at distributing the puck. It'd be pretty nice having him and Monahan as our top 2 centers in the future, as their contrasting styles will benefit the team more than having two of the same types. Much like Boston where they have Krejci and Bergeron, an offensive center and a defensive center on their top 2 lines, and it's working pretty great.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Let's talk about other things though because we've beaten the MDC/Draisaitl debate to death.

Should we package picks to get another 1st rounder?

If so who do we pick?

If not who for our 2nds?

What's our biggest need?

Is their a prospect in the top 15 we should trade for (I.E Sven/Gio for pick)?

Last edited:

TheClassicK*

You made a good point about Monahan and the 2 slower centers. You did say

I'm still curious if you don't like Draisaitl or just like Dal Colle better
It's still a different feeling "could easily turn out like..." and "wouldn't be at all surprised if he turned out like...", but fair enough.

I just don't think Draisaitl suits the team. Hartley wants the team to have an identity of excellent work ethic and the hard-working mentality, never quitting, always having the "bite" attitude, you know? Wouldn't people say that this identity requires hard stamina and speed to be really effective? I just think Dal Colle will come into the team better suited for the team's identity straight from the start, than how Draisaitl will come in and fit into the team's style.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I like Perlini. I only saw him at the U18s but I really like the way he plays. He's fun to watch.

I'd definitely take Ehlers over Perlini, but between Perlini and Ritchie it's kind of a toss up. Every time I've seen Ritchie he had a pretty quiet game.

Kind of a moot argument though. There's no point in Calgary trading up to get one of those guys. We don't have the assets or the urgency.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Let's talk about other things though because we've beaten the MDC/Draisaitl debate to death.

Should we package picks to get into the 1st round?

If so who do we pick?

If not who for our 2nds?

What's our biggest need?

Is their a prospect in the top 15 we should trade for (I.E Sven/Gio for pick)?

Why should we do that if we are already in the 1st round? :sarcasm:

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
What are everyone's thoughts on Anton Karlsson. I really like him and would like to trade up for him. Also now that the Avs are out who could we get? I like Jayce Hawryluk

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Why should we do that if we are already in the 1st round? :sarcasm:

Hehe.

We should try to get some extra picks down in the first. There are some interesting picks in the mid to late first round; like Ho-Sang or even Barbachev. Both these two guys should merit a package to move into the first.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Hehe.

We should try to get some extra picks down in the first. There are some interesting picks in the mid to late first round; like Ho-Sang or even Barbachev. Both these two guys should merit a package to move into the first.

Definitely some interesting guys mid-to-late first, but I think the Flames should stay where they are. They really need defensive prospects, and there seem to be a lot of good ones in the 2nd-3rd rounds. If anything, maybe try to move up and grab another 2nd round pick, I'd think.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
What are everyone's thoughts on Anton Karlsson. I really like him and would like to trade up for him. Also now that the Avs are out who could we get? I like Jayce Hawryluk

He's had a disappointing year on the whole and if I remember correctly has slowly slid down the rankings all season.

I think there is a very legitimate chance he is available at 34. I would definitely trade up for a player like Kempe or Barbashev if the opportunity presented itself however.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Standing pat isn't horrible. 5 picks in the first 3 rounds is decent. See a pretty good dropoff in talent around the middle/late 2nd round though. What about the Pitt 3rd plus a roster player (maybe Hanowski/Galiardi/Cundari) for another second? Maybe both 3rds to move up?

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I would like to see us package either a player + Col 2nd for a late first or both our 3rds for another 2nd. I would be happy to see us pick Bennet/LD/MDC and three defenseman by the end of the second round.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It sounds as though Nylander has been rising up the draft rankings, however I still don't expect him to go in the top five. While he is arguably the most skilled player in the entire draft, I also think he has one of the highest bust factors of anyone in the top 10.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Here's my mock draft:

#4: Sam Bennett - Centre, 6'0"
Player Comparable: Tyler Seguin
A lot of analysts are predicting we'll be able to pick up Bennett, as he now sits behind Ekblad, Reinhart and Draisaitl on most lists, and I agree with this sentiment and think it's a safe bet we could pick up Bennett. A near-elite offensive force, he combines good goal-scoring ability with an overall awareness in the offensive zone to turn games around. While his defensive game is merely average, it is not necessarily a shortcoming in his play. He could become a franchise player for the Flames and would make a great first-line centre ahead of Monahan to add offensive ability Monahan doesn't have.
I compared him to Tyler Seguin as far as his playmaking and goal-scoring skill goes, but a Seguin comparison ends up ignoring Bennett's physicality and grit, which is a fundamental part of his game and makes him another good pick for the organization.

#34: Jakub Vrana - Right Wing, 5'11"
Player Comparable: Tuomo Ruutu
Vrana is a solid Swedish winger projected to go in the late first or early second round. While not the largest player, Vrana is not a pushover and possesses a good amount of skill in his game that results in great plays - in addition to Tuomo Ruutu, one could compare him to a less-skilled Sven Baertschi. His defensive ability and consistency are his biggest shortcomings right now.
I compared him to Tuomo Ruutu because of each players' similar upsides and the tendency each unfortunately has to be on and off. While Vrana may struggle at first, patience is necessary from management and the fanbase.

#58: Brett Pollock - Centre, 6'2"
Player Comparable: John Mitchell
A solid all-around centre with decent size who would be a good selection for the second of our second-round picks. Pollock is a tough player who runs a brick and mortar game and who is about as good offensively as he is defensively. He would fit in well on a hardworking Calgary team.
I compared Pollock to Colorado's John Mitchell because each play a solid bottom-six game and both exercise a decent amount of physicality in their play as well without being an enforcer or thug. Pollock however is probably a bit better defensively than Mitchell.

#64: Lucas Wallmark - Centre, 6'0"
Player Comparable: Calle Jarnkrok
Potentially a steal in the third round, Wallmark is an offensively gifted Swedish centre who is good in all three zones. With a high level of puck control and an ability to push the game forward, Wallmark is an intriguing prospect to say the least who could someday be a good bottom-six option for the Flames.
I compared Wallmark to Nashville Predators prospect Calle Jarnkrok because each have high levels of skill and are great at moving the puck. Jarnkrok certainly has a higher offensive upside but each play similar games.

#85: Radel Fazleyev - Centre, 6'0"
Player Comparable: Andrei Loktionov
A solid Hitmen player, Fazleyev is a decent Russian centre who probably caps out as an AHL/NHL tweener as one of the first injury callups. Fazleyev has a good all-around game in the same way Pollock does, and is not particularly flashy or disruptive but rather would be dependable in a fourth-line role for the Flames
I compared Fazleyev to Hurricanes forward Andrei Loktionov because each are Russian centres with similar upside. Loktionov's game is a little flashier and riskier, however, making Fazleyev a better pick.

#179: Roberts Lipsbergs - Right Wing, 5'10"
Player Comparable: Artem Demkov
Apart from being the player in this draft with the most unnecessary s's in his name, Lipsbergs also fills a need at right wing for the club. While it is doubtful he will ever be an NHL player, he might be a good depth character to have as a goal scorer in the ECHL. Lipsbergs is a small player with offensive instincts who would need to improve his consistency in all three zones to make the big show.
I compared Lipsbergs to ECHL player Artem Demkov because both have a scoring knack and are small players who can sometimes disappear if they don't have the puck.

#184: Tyler Wong - Right Wing, 5'9"
Player Comparable: Matt Bergland
An extremely similar player to Lipsbergs, Wong is a small but gritty player who has a set of decent skills but lacks the all-around capability to be successful at a higher than ECHL level. He could surprise the organization by improving his defensive game but for now he is best thought of as a farm team role-player.
I compared Wong to ECHL player Matt Bergland because both are small players who are not afraid to engage physically and who have decent offensive skill at their league's level.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
^ Good One! ^

I'd love it if we got those top 4 picks. Vrana and Pollack would be great picks at those spots. Think I'll make a mock tomorrow.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Here's my mock draft:

A lot of analysts are predicting we'll be able to pick up Bennett, as he now sits behind Ekblad, Reinhart and Draisaitl on most lists, and I agree with this sentiment and think it's a safe bet we could pick up Bennett. A near-elite offensive force, he combines good goal-scoring ability with an overall awareness in the offensive zone to turn games around. While his defensive game is merely average, it is not necessarily a shortcoming in his play. He could become a franchise player for the Flames and would make a great first-line centre ahead of Monahan to add offensive ability Monahan doesn't have.
I compared him to Tyler Seguin as far as his playmaking and goal-scoring skill goes, but a Seguin comparison ends up ignoring Bennett's physicality and grit, which is a fundamental part of his game and makes him another good pick for the organization.

Vrana is a solid Swedish winger projected to go in the late first or early second round. While not the largest player, Vrana is not a pushover and possesses a good amount of skill in his game that results in great plays - in addition to Tuomo Ruutu, one could compare him to a less-skilled Sven Baertschi. His defensive ability and consistency are his biggest shortcomings right now.
I compared him to Tuomo Ruutu because of each players' similar upsides and the tendency each unfortunately has to be on and off. While Vrana may struggle at first, patience is necessary from management and the fanbase.

A solid all-around centre with decent size who would be a good selection for the second of our second-round picks. Pollock is a tough player who runs a brick and mortar game and who is about as good offensively as he is defensively. He would fit in well on a hardworking Calgary team.
I compared Pollock to Colorado's John Mitchell because each play a solid bottom-six game and both exercise a decent amount of physicality in their play as well without being an enforcer or thug. Pollock however is probably a bit better defensively than Mitchell.

Potentially a steal in the third round, Wallmark is an offensively gifted Swedish centre who is good in all three zones. With a high level of puck control and an ability to push the game forward, Wallmark is an intriguing prospect to say the least who could someday be a good bottom-six option for the Flames.
I compared Wallmark to Nashville Predators prospect Calle Jarnkrok because each have high levels of skill and are great at moving the puck. Jarnkrok certainly has a higher offensive upside but each play similar games.

A solid Hitmen player, Fazleyev is a decent Russian centre who probably caps out as an AHL/NHL tweener as one of the first injury callups. Fazleyev has a good all-around game in the same way Pollock does, and is not particularly flashy or disruptive but rather would be dependable in a fourth-line role for the Flames
I compared Fazleyev to Hurricanes forward Andrei Loktionov because each are Russian centres with similar upside. Loktionov's game is a little flashier and riskier, however, making Fazleyev a better pick.

Apart from being the player in this draft with the most unnecessary s's in his name, Lipsbergs also fills a need at right wing for the club. While it is doubtful he will ever be an NHL player, he might be a good depth character to have as a goal scorer in the ECHL. Lipsbergs is a small player with offensive instincts who would need to improve his consistency in all three zones to make the big show.
I compared Lipsbergs to ECHL player Artem Demkov because both have a scoring knack and are small players who can sometimes disappear if they don't have the puck.

An extremely similar player to Lipsbergs, Wong is a small but gritty player who has a set of decent skills but lacks the all-around capability to be successful at a higher than ECHL level. He could surprise the organization by improving his defensive game but for now he is best thought of as a farm team role-player.
I compared Wong to ECHL player Matt Bergland because both are small players who are not afraid to engage physically and who have decent offensive skill at their league's level.

Not a fan of your selections personally.

In my opinion the three biggest needs we should be addressing this year are ;

1. Defensive depth
2. Right wingers / Right handed shots
3. Size

You drafted a total of zero defensemen.
You drafted one player above 6'0" tall.
You drafted just one right handed shot.
You drafted two overagers (which in my opinion is not a wise thing to do)

In saying that..the first three picks would all be very good "value selections" at those points in the draft, but I personally think it is unlikely that they would be available at those spots.

Good work on the write ups and analysis though, I appreciate the effort!

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Here's my mock draft:

I think we need to draft defensemen and you didn't draft any. I have 3-4/5 of my picks being defenseman, we also need some. Big right wingers.you drafted one player over 6'0. I like Vrana but I doubt he'll go 34th. Some people have him in the top 15. Not me but doubt he slips 2nd round

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Standing pat isn't horrible. 5 picks in the first 3 rounds is decent. See a pretty good dropoff in talent around the middle/late 2nd round though. What about the Pitt 3rd plus a roster player (maybe Hanowski/Galiardi/Cundari) for another second? Maybe both 3rds to move up?

I'd be totally ok with standing pat. A top 5 pick is awesome, but having some picks to play with in rounds two and three is actually kind of nice. We've done a pretty decent job in recent years with picking up some solid looking prospects between the second and third rounds, but the scouting staff has had to deal with limited availability of those picks. Having them this year would be nice.

I know everyone is looking to add some size this year, but I'd be very interested in drafting Brayden Point with one of the two 2nd rounders. Yes he's small but the dude is wicked talented. Playing for Moose Jaw he put up 91 points, which is damn impressive when you consider that only three teams in the WHL has less goals for scored than Moose Jaw. The next highest scoring player on his team had only 55 points.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I know everyone is looking to add some size this year, but I'd be very interested in drafting Brayden Point with one of the two 2nd rounders. Yes he's small but the dude is wicked talented. Playing for Moose Jaw he put up 91 points, which is damn impressive when you consider that only three teams in the WHL has less goals for scored than Moose Jaw. The next highest scoring player on his team had only 55 points.
Reading up on him a little bit he sounds like he could be a fit. Sounds like a Paul Byron with more offense. Shoots right too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad