Rumor: Calgary and Edmonton finalists for Virtanen PTO?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Did E Kane put in a good word for him? They are both hometown Vancouver boys after all. With Kane in his corner I suspect Edmonton has the inside track. Damn... another loss to the city of champions.
Gee...we're really regretting the Kane signing. So much that we decided to re-sign him for another four years after he helped end Johnny Gaudreau's tenure as a Flame.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Gee...we're really regretting the Kane signing. So much that we decided to re-sign him for another four years after he helped end Johnny Gaudreau's tenure as a Flame.
Trash.
Screenshot_20220914-152015_kindlephoto-107139239.png

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
With Kane in the end I got it. Good hockey player take the chance on the potential shit person.

Virtanen is 26 and is barely a KHL player.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Did E Kane put in a good word for him? They are both hometown Vancouver boys after all. With Kane in his corner I suspect Edmonton has the inside track. Damn... another loss to the city of champions.

You are so salty about the Oilers, it’s amusing to witness the little brother syndrome towards Alberta’s team.

Those playoff thrashing wounds run deep. Knocked Johnny and Chucky right out of town forever.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
You are so salty about the Oilers, it’s amusing to witness the little brother syndrome towards Alberta’s team.

Those playoff thrashing wounds run deep. Knocked Johnny and Chucky right out of town forever.

Do they call the Oilers Albertas team uo there? Hmm interesting.

Either way this guy is dirt and isn't good so hopefully neither team signs him.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Do they call the Oilers Albertas team uo there? Hmm interesting.

Either way this guy is dirt and isn't good so hopefully neither team signs him.

I live in Calgary.

There is a massive amount of Oilers fans here. Look around any outdoor rink during the winter or just around town, tons of Oilers gear everywhere.

You see as many kids wearing McDavid sweaters as you do any Flames player.

The Oilers are easily the most popular team in Alberta.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
I live in Calgary.

There is a massive amount of Oilers fans here. Look around any outdoor rink during the winter or just around town, tons of Oilers gear everywhere.

You see as many kids wearing McDavid sweaters as you do any Flames player.

The Oilers are easily the most popular team in Alberta.

I'd move south and raise a family also. Can't blame them Oiler fans.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Put aside all the off ice stuff, I’ve just never liked this guys game at all.

Even when he was a ‘star’ with the Hitmen he was just one of those guys you knew would bust.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
With Kane in the end I got it. Good hockey player take the chance on the potential shit person.

Virtanen is 26 and is barely a KHL player.
that last part is what gets me. No matter what any of us think of Virtanen, everyone must admit that anyone who signs him will endure a hit against their PR. I dont know how much so, but it will be something. What team will think it will be worth it for a player who may not even play for them, and if he does, it will be some 4th line role?

I'm not saying that's right or wrong, just looking at how owners and GMs would look at this.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Off-Ice issues aside

he just sucks
-He can't transition the puck, he usually just flips the puck 30 feet in the air and hopes for the best when trying to break out of his own zone.
- When he does go on offense he gains the zone, never lowers his should and uses his frame. He lets off some GARBAGE shot from the hashes that misses the net high and rings around the boards and out the zone.

watch him try to attempt a 3-2 as the puck carrier. It's a tragedy

Reactions: Metalwood

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Is it a competition?

It does become one , even if 3 teams offer him entry level pay, naturally somebody will move up in price a little or a lot. Moving up their offer to 1 million from 750k is suddenly a 25% increase. I think jakes sake an American city is the best but if Alberta is fine with him he’s ok then it’s a match. Jake does like Calgary according to him.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Context? Is that an immediate response to something that has since had additional information added to it? Seems like it is.

If you dug some more I'm sure you'd find a half dozen posts of me being critical of Virtanen who has a history of making poor decisions.

I also called Zack Kassian every word in the book when he broke Sam Gagner's jaw. Didn't stop me from enjoying him bully Matthew Tkachuk and score some pretty key playoff goals as an Oiler.

Things change. People grow, people mature and some people are acquitted of some pretty horrible accusations.

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Context? Is that an immediate response to something that has since had additional information added to it? Seems like it is.

If you dug some more I'm sure you'd find a half dozen posts of me being critical of Virtanen who has a history of making poor decisions.

I also called Zack Kassian every word in the book when he broke Sam Gagner's jaw. Didn't stop me from enjoying him bully Matthew Tkachuk and score some pretty key playoff goals as an Oiler.

Things change. People grow, people mature and some people are acquitted of some pretty horrible accusations
Lol that post was 11 months ago…

If he wasn’t an oiler you’d still think the same way about him now as you did then. He didn’t suddenly change as a person, the only variable that changed was the crest he wears. I’m fine if fans resort to that sort of cognant dissonance, we all do it, but admit it for what it is.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Another loss?

Signing kane wasnt a loss.

The only loss regarding kane was the ones the flames took when he was lighting them up.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
This morning it was a sure thing he was good to Edmonton, this evening it’s now “Edmonton offered a PTO but he’s still exploring his options”. Seriously what kind of market is their for a guy who wants played meaningful hockey in 2 years

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

The oilers board and fans sure can’t ever stfu about little brother it seems. One of your posters told me it didn’t count as long as the oilers sucked (the guy with the drai avatar) or something along those lines. :laugh:

Can’t wait for the season to start to see the crap BOTH sides churn out at each other. It’s good relief from the real world.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The oilers board and fans sure can’t ever stfu about little brother it seems. One of your posters told me it didn’t count as long as the oilers sucked (the guy with the drai avatar) or something along those lines. :laugh:

Can’t wait for the season to start to see the crap BOTH sides churn out at each other. It’s good relief from the real world.
You’ll find more conversation about Calgary or CP on there. It’s almost like they have the little brother syndrome :laugh:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Lol that post was 11 months ago…

If he wasn’t an oiler you’d still think the same way about him now as you did then. He didn’t suddenly change as a person, the only variable that changed was the crest he wears. I’m fine if fans resort to that sort of cognant dissonance, we all do it, but admit it for what it is.
Didn't even realize it was about Kane. You're right, there's going to be bias when the jersey changes. But the reaction to how these guys behave is frequently an overreaction and the judge of character is based heavily on very limited information.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad