GDT: Calgary (1-1-0) @ ****ing Honda Center in Anaheim (1-0-1) / 8:00 PM / Oct 9th 2017

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
So glad to be eating all this crow over Smith. I know it's still very early but damn it feels good to have a real starting goalie out there.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
Was hoping this would be the night... and so it was!! No matter what now, the team has won in Anaheim and we can move on. Close that chapter. Bring on the Ducks in the post!!... well ok maybe not that far....

Reactions: Sk8M8

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Some very classy posts from Flames fans last night in the Ducks section. Cheers
To be perfectly blunt, I'm not sure why after the way a good chunk of Ducks fans behaved in the post season and a few last night after the streak ended.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
To be perfectly blunt, I'm not sure why after the way a good chunk of Ducks fans behaved in the post season and a few last night after the streak ended.

To be perfectly blunt, that's a very juvenile response to someone thanking your fan base for their class. I can't imagine getting so worked up over a hockey game that I was no longer able to comprehend the concept of wishing someone well in dealing with a wildfire. Sounds like you need to step back and examine your priorities.

Anyways I'm not here for a spat, once again I just wanted to say that the class from some was noted and appreciated. Good luck with your season.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
To be perfectly blunt, that's a very juvenile response to someone thanking your fan base for their class. I can't imagine getting so worked up over a hockey game that I was no longer able to comprehend the concept of wishing someone well in dealing with a wildfire. Sounds like you need to step back and examine your priorities.

Anyways I'm not here for a spat, once again I just wanted to say that the class from some was noted and appreciated. Good luck with your season.

No worries, I hope everything is just fine in regards to the big forest fire. It sucks with climate change right now. Great fight and thanks for a good game! Most classless Ducks fans I know are the FB crowd, never ran into them on hfboards.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I think you misinterpreted my intent. I am simply stating after the way we were treated last spring, I don't know why anyone would venture to your board. Obviously no one wishes ill will on those affected by the fires.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Cannot believe we finally did it. Shot count was non representative. A lot of the shots Smith faced were pretty easy saves. And not overly dangerous.

That was a good team performance. We won the special teams battle.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
nearly 40% of Anaheim's shots were on special team and only 9 shots at full strength missed the net.

Second game in a row with a 56% Corsi adjusted. Hopefully this is more representative of our future than that first game.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I was someone who was very much against the Smith deal, because I thought we gave up too much and because I did not like Smith as a goalie at all.

I am very glad to be wrong so far this season and hope Smith continues to show just how off I was.

I remembering watching him in Phoenix and seeing so many terrible goals that he would give up. I am not sure if it was a case of it being hard to stay motivated with those teams, bad luck or a combination of many things but the really bad goals were what concerned me.

So far he has been really impressive with his positioning. He has had some "big" saves but for the most part he has avoided having to make those type of saves because his positioning has eliminated them before they happen. He has been awesome in the first 3 game so far.

Even with the injuries I didn't have much hope for the win because of the history and there always seeming to be something that happens there. I usually don't put much value into reocrds or streaks that largely took place with other guys but this was so long and talked about so much that I think it had to be on the minds of the players even guys who had barely or even never played there as a Flame. Great to end it so we can just focus on playing now when we go and not the "Curse."

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
What did he say?

Nothing, Tkachuk went to get the game puck, presumably for Smith, and Bieksa just takes it and hides it behind his back and won't give it to him. Stajan had to come in and the linesman took it from Bieksa.

If you watch it Bieksa stays on the ice rather than heading off immediately so he may have been goofing around, but A) I'll never give that moron the benefit of the doubt and B) he hates the flames, and C) he's always been an idiot

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Bieksa is an idiot. I don’t care if he was joking around, he doesn’t know anyone on our team and in fact, his history with us over his entire career is not a good one. He was doing it to be a jerk and I have zero respect for that clown.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Happy the Flames pulled this one off! Great game and if they can keep this up then look out! Smith was great once again, man it'd be nice if he can maintain this.

Disappointed with Bennett. He had a very "Bennett" game. Lots of energy but no substance, few (one?) chances and terrible execution (that 2-0 pass was brutal). Same old Bennett.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
All hail the mighty Jobu.

22279901_1873316056030057_4999310067691413376_n.jpg

Aug 3, 2010
The one thing I've been most impressed with in regards to Smith is his willingness to fight for the puck and his vision/ability to track the puck.

I said it earlier, but it's been a long time since I've seen a Flames goalie do that so well, or at all, since Kiprusoff was last in net. Too many of the other goaltenders relied on traits like pure size/positioning and/or athleticism, but didn't fight for puck control and did not track shots nearly as effectively. Many goaltenders simply let the shot hit them due to positioning and relied on the rebound being cleared or captured, but Smith makes real attempts at controlling the first save. He is a tall guy and has a healthy dose of athleticism, but first and foremost his ability to track the puck through a crowd helps sets him apart.

He won't be the long-term solution but he'll definitely provide average or better goaltending for the season, so it's time for the team to step up.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad