Calder Watch & Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
I think you just have to be careful how you are using statistics to make assumptions. It's very easy to be mislead by numbers, especially when utilizing descriptive statistics to support your arguments. For example, your PP assumptions regarding Barzal are not accurate. You're basing it on percentages of their overall PP without taking into account that there are two powerplay teams on the Islanders. A more telling, though still weak argument, would be to isolate Barzal's effectiveness when he is on the ice during the PP. But again, even that kind of analysis is sketchy at best.

As for Barzal playing for lesser linemates. There is an a genuine argument for that as long as you are not making a one sided assumption. Most Islander fans would say Ladd and Eberle's numbers improved once they were put alongside Barzal. Using descriptive statistics, (again a weak method) you could easily find the data to support that. You are assuming that Barzal is playing with strong wingers, when the opposite may actually be true and it was BECAUSE OF Barzal that their numbers improved.

I agree. The numbers I presented certainly don't tell the whole story. That being said, I am not making the argument that Barzal is poor on the powerplay. I never made that argument. Barzal has been fantastic on the powerplay. The statistics I added are only to solidify the fact that while Barzal has been excellent, so has Boeser.

I am not assuming Barzal is playing with strong wingers. There is no doubt in my mind that both Ladd and Eberle are benefiting from playing with Barzal. Moreso Ladd given his performance last year. However, you cannot convince me Eberle is not a strong winger. I've watched Eberle burn the Canucks for years. That does not mean he isn't benefiting immensely from playing with Barzal but I think it's unfair to label Eberle as anything but a good to great top 6 winger.

I've lived in Coquitlam all my life, haven't seen much kids make it from Coquitlam to the big leagues... Barzal is a good old Coquitlam boy, can't help but cheer for him. In fact now that I mention it... I think he is the only one playing in the league from Coquitlam. Most of you will probably say where the heck is that..

Plenty of NHLers from Burnaby and Port Moody which is more or less the same. In fact, I see Nugent-Hopkins around Burquitlam all the time during the offseason.

Last edited:

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
We're officially splitting hairs now.

Barzal and Boeser are in front, McAvoy, Keller and DeBrincat not too far behind. I'd love to pause this thread in intervals of 10 games at a time. Lets see if anything has changed then.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC

Barzal and Boeser are in front, McAvoy, Keller and DeBrincat not too far behind. I'd love to pause this thread in intervals of 10 games at a time. Lets see if anything has changed then.

I don't know about others but I'm here just to kill time until these two take the ice. Great news is I can watch 3 hours of Barzal followed by 3 hours of Boeser after work today :D

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I don't know about others but I'm here just to kill time until these two take the ice. Great news is I can watch 3 hours of Barzal followed by 3 hours of Boeser after work today :D

That's the best way to appreciate and understand these two. Minimize the numbers for the most part and do what scouts do. Just watch them play.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I've lived in Coquitlam all my life, haven't seen much kids make it from Coquitlam to the big leagues... Barzal is a good old Coquitlam boy, can't help but cheer for him. In fact now that I mention it... I think he is the only one playing in the league from Coquitlam. Most of you will probably say where the heck is that..
Right next to Port Coquitlam

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
That's the best way to appreciate and understand these two. Minimize the numbers for the most part and do what scouts do. Just watch them play.

While I'm a stats guy, nothing beats watching the kids play. Such a treat. Barzal is a magician out there and Boeser is a threat every time the puck lands on his stick. Loving this years rookies.

member 105785

25151958_10155889282777145_2181529859940616516_n.jpg

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Every point Matt Barzal scores increases my distaste for Peter Chiarelli more. It's starting to look like one of the worst trades of the 21st century. The Calder is between him and Boeser so far.

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida

Not possible with fans posting every time a rookie gets a secondary assist.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Not possible with fans posting every time a rookie gets a secondary assist.
Haha pretty much. Its exciting times for Islanders and Canucks fans to have Barzal and Boeser. Jelly that you guys have a quality team around Barzal. Right now up front we have Boeser and..... Dowd

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

Same here, nice to see a good ol Coquitlam Express boy in the big leagues

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
is there any way to find out the stats for penalties drawn? in watching the Islander game they say how Barzal is leading among rookies and I think is 4th in the league, I am curious who are the 3 guys ahead of him, also that has to count for something towards the Calder if it is a close race?

member 105785

is there any way to find out the stats for penalties drawn? in watching the Islander game they say how Barzal is leading among rookies and I think is 4th in the league, I am curious who are the 3 guys ahead of him, also that has to count for something towards the Calder if it is a close race?

I'm sure drawn penalties is quite low on the criteria list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad