Calder Watch & Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
not sure what one has to do with the other when Barzal is a big reason why they are one of the highest scoring teams
Sure. But at the same time I'm also sure that Tavares, Lee, Bailey, and Eberle are also big reasons. Do we really wanna compare the scoring leaders for the islanders versus the canucks?

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Sure. But at the same time I'm also sure that Tavares, Lee, Bailey, and Eberle are also big reasons. Do we really wanna compare the scoring leaders for the islanders versus the canucks?

Barzal is getting most of his points on a 2nd line with Ladd and Eberle, and I can assure you it is those 2 guys who are benefitting greatly from him and not the other way around

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Barzal is getting most of his points on a 2nd line with Ladd and Eberle, and I can assure you it is those 2 guys who are benefitting greatly from him and not the other way around

Still a big time difference between the forward core Barzal plays with compared to Boeser currently.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Barzal has been great as well but Boeser is leading an anemic offence in both goals and points by a substantial margin. He's the guy that other teams focus on as he's really the Canucks only goal scoring threat right now. The NYI have other teams mainly focusing on Tavares. Putting what Boeser is doing in context makes it even more impressive.
And the exciting part is that his goal production has been increasing as the year goes on.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

Which puts him fourth in team scoring. Boeser is leading the Canucks in points with 30, the next guy in the Canucks has 22 points.

I'm not here to discount Barzal, but based on the history of voting, goals will always thrump assists.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Which puts him fourth in team scoring. Boeser is leading the Canucks in points with 30, the next guy in the Canucks has 22 points.

I'm not here to discount Barzal, but based on the history of voting, goals will always thrump assists.
And Boeser has 17 goals and the next closest Canuck has 10. Teams are focusing on checking Boeser as he's the biggest scoring threat by a considerable margin.
What he's done so far is amazing especially when put in context. And his goal production has been increasing after a fairly slow start.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Barzal has 28 points in 32 games. Boeser 30 in 30.

Given the supporting cast, if they are within 5 points at the end, I can legitimately see Boeser getting the Calder if he has fewer points.

If Barzal has 8 points or more, regardless of supporting cast, I'd give him the Calder.

See how Boeser's production goes over the next dozen games without Horvat.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I’m actually in that group that values goals more than assists. It’s hard to compare Boeser and Barzal because they play 2 completely different games and positions.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I’m actually in that group that values goals more than assists. It’s hard to compare Boeser and Barzal because they play 2 completely different games and positions.
Exactly, one is a center the other is a winger. One is a playmaker while the other one is a sniper. Just how we compare the Sedins, we always view them as the same in terms of value and play level, but one is the playmaker while the other a sniper. Both integral to any teams success.

Reactions: SI90

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
As of right now I think the finalists would be (in order):
Boeser
Barzal
McAvoy

with (not in order):
Debrincat
Connor
Sergachev
Hischier
Bratt
Butcher
Keller
Kerfoot
Gourde
falling victim to a pretty insane rookie class.

I actually think Barzal has been the better play and will have a better career than Boeser, but his production is too damn impressive to not win it right now IMO. Still lots of season to play though. Realistically probably at least 10 guys who could still win it.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
So if you are building a young team and come draft time do you choose Barzal or Boeser if they were both available? One puts up a steady stream of goals and one regularly sets them up. Ones a flashy center the other a flashy winger. Who's the more valuable player for the team?

BTW Barzal's saucer pass tonight was delicious in the OT winner, there's so few players who can consistently do that, but there also few players who can consistently put the puck in the net with their quick accurate release like Boeser.

Decisions Decisions.

Last edited:

member 105785

So if you are building a young team and come draft time do you choose Barzal or Boeser if they were both available? One puts up a steady stream of goals and one regularly sets them up. Who's the more valuable player for the team?

BTW Barzal's saucer pass tonight was delicious in the OT winner, there's so few players who can consistently do that, but there also few players who can consistently put the puck in the net with their quick accurate release like Boeser.

Decisions Decisions.

Building a team from scratch? While I think they're pretty even, maybe slight edge to Boeser, I'd take Barzal as C is a more valuable position if I have nobody else.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Building a team from scratch? While I think they're pretty even, maybe slight edge to Boeser, I'd take Barzal as C is a more valuable position if I have nobody else.

Calder race aside, I think I would also. I think finding a super talented center will usually get you closer to the Cup than a high scoring winger. The responsibilities at the center position are usually seen as more vital than the winger position, but that's not what the Calder trophy is about.

In regards to the Calder is it about who show's the most talent? What does "most proficient" stand for anyway? Is it just about numbers? I wouldn't think so. If these guys are neck and neck in points by the end of the season that's a tough call for the judges. They both appear so far to be otherworldly talented but in two completely different ways and both are thus far very effective at what they do and both can be seen as gamebreaking kinds of players.

member 105785

Calder race aside, I think I would also. I think finding a super talented center will usually get you closer to the Cup than a high scoring winger. The responsibilities at the center position are usually seen as more vital than the winger position, but that's not what the Calder trophy is about.

Is it about who show's the most talent? What does "most proficient" stand for anyway? Is it just about numbers? I wouldn't think so. If these guys are neck and neck in points by the end of the season that's a tough call for the judges. They appear so far to be otherworldly talented but in two completely different ways and both are thus far very effective at what they do and both can be seen as gamebreaking kinds of players.

I think part of the slight edge to Boeser imo for Calder is that while Barzal has some great plays both with and without the puck, it's not as flashy as a Brock Boesus highlight reel. You can just press play and goal after goal will just run one after another.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

In regards to the Calder is it about who show's the most talent? What does "most proficient" stand for anyway? Is it just about numbers? I wouldn't think so. If these guys are neck and neck in points by the end of the season that's a tough call for the judges. They both appear so far to be otherworldly talented but in two completely different ways and both are thus far very effective at what they do and both can be seen as gamebreaking kinds of players.

Barzal's emergence has really changed the complexion of the Isles forward group...

He's getting respect from opponents, it'll be interesting to see how he responds and adjusts his game. I notice that teams have upped the physical factor against him in closed quarters lately and attacking him the moment he gets the puck. They're trying to limit him carrying the puck in transition.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
I think part of the slight edge to Boeser imo for Calder is that while Barzal has some great plays both with and without the puck, it's not as flashy as a Brock Boesus highlight reel. You can just press play and goal after goal will just run one after another.
You think Boeser is more flashy than Barzal? I think very few people agree, Barzal is way more noticeable in game.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
You think Boeser is more flashy than Barzal? I think very few people agree, Barzal is way more noticeable in game.

Agreed.

Boeser has an awesome shot, he only needs a split second to do his thing and impact the game. He seems like he's the archetype of the Hull-style sniping winger. He's obviously smart and has the instincts to put himself in position regularly. I have limited exposure of him, but he is indeed impressive.

Barzal is the yin to Boeser's yang. The prototypical playmaking center that does it with speed and skill. His game is all about puck possession and then finding the open man. He does have an underrated shot, but he makes his living setting up his teammates. He's very puck dominant and flashy flying around the ice. He's got some pretty good flow going these days too.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I disagree.
His shots are impressive but Barzal is more of a human highlight reel because of his skating. Brock just gets the job done but isn't too flashy about it IMO.

I still think Barzal will end up with the Calder when all is said and done. I still think it will be more difficult for BB to sustain his production on the Canucks who are poor overall front to back

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Here's a skilled Boeser goal, where he can move the puck in precise skilled fashion (toe drag) while roofing it.

Here's him blasting through Shark's defense, and rings one off the iron (0:12-0:17), before scoring off a pass.

Boeser shows his skills there, and can score in plenty of ways. He may not be the flashiest out there, but he has shown flash.

Should be a good race for the Calder as it's still up for grabs.
Barzal, Boeser, McAvoy, Keller, Connor, etc.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Here's a skilled Boeser goal, where he can move the puck in precise skilled fashion (toe drag) while roofing it.

Here's him blasting through Shark's defense, and rings one off the iron (0:12-0:17), before scoring off a pass.

Boeser shows his skills there, and can score in plenty of ways. He may not be the flashiest out there, but he has shown flash.

mckayla-maroney.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad