Calder Watch & Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Barzal is easily the winner of this. I said it earlier in this thread and got hated on for it, I still stick to him winning it, easily.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's actually really impressive Barzal is a +5 considering the team goal differential

And Barzal now is only 1 pt behind Tavares for the team lead in scoring. That's the thing people who do not watch Islander games on a nightly basis. Often Barzal's line has been the best line 5 v 5 for the Isles all season. +5 while JT's line is a minus.

Reactions: sebsisles

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Why the heck did you @ me?

I'd like to ask the same thing. Especially when I've been supportive of his boy for a while now.

Must have me confused with some one else, and if not, should atleast have the decency to quote the messages.

Maybe I do have you both confused.

So just to verify, do you both agree that:
  • Barzal is not a product of his teammates
  • Barzal is near the top 10 in scoring by his own merits

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I hadn’t been following lately, but wow has Hischier ever crashed after his fast start. Given the way he started, I expected him to have produced much higher.

he had 3 points last night and has 6 in his past 3

He is on pace for 50+ points and is the youngest player in the league. Not sure how you would consider that him "crashing"

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
he had 3 points last night and has 6 in his past 3

He is on pace for 50+ points and is the youngest player in the league. Not sure how you would consider that him "crashing"

Oh you cant that seriously. Marner is better than matthews whos better than barzal so. It all makes sense.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

My previous arguments were misunderstood by you and others as arguing against the above. I'm not going to bother rehashing it again here, because frankly it doesn't matter any more. We can still argue Boeser vs. Barzal as present and future hockey players, but in terms of the Calder race it's pretty much up to Barzal to not just go into hibernation over the next two months. It's unfortunate that Boeser has hit a few bumps recently with an injury and small slump, because in December and early January the battle between the two was a treat to watch. And even still, watching Boeser this season has been a treat on it's own, a Calder victory would have just been a cherry on top.

Can almost say congrats Barzal. Almost.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
My previous arguments were misunderstood by you and others as arguing against the above. I'm not going to bother rehashing it again here, because frankly it doesn't matter any more. We can still argue Boeser vs. Barzal as present and future hockey players, but in terms of the Calder race it's pretty much up to Barzal to not just go into hibernation over the next two months. It's unfortunate that Boeser has hit a few bumps recently with an injury and small slump, because in December and early January the battle between the two was a treat to watch. And even still, watching Boeser this season has been a treat on it's own, a Calder victory would have just been a cherry on top.

Can almost say congrats Barzal. Almost.

The point is, you've never really been clear on your stance regarding those two points. I just gave you a pretty clear chance to say you either agree or disagree, and you once again did not provide a direct answer.

Based on the bolded, it sounds as though you are saying you do not have any arguments against those two points. Am I understanding that properly?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The point is, you've never really been clear on your stance regarding those two points. I just gave you a pretty clear chance to say you either agree or disagree, and you once again did not provide a direct answer.

Based on the bolded, it sounds as though you are saying you do not have any arguments against those two points. Am I understanding that properly?
The true honest answer is I don't know. I don't watch Islanders games and only see highlights. I haven't seen an argument made that would convince me that it is 100% the case. Islanders fans have repeated that it is true in this thread, but I also understand taking the word of a hockey fan on their own player as gospel is not always wise. If someone made a thoroughly convincing argument making it clear as day I could not deny it, but that has not happened. On the surface it still seems possible that his high scoring teammates are having a positive affect on his numbers. But I'm open to the idea.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Barzal controls the game much more, and way better than JT does. It is not just about points... this kid can do almost anything he wants when he has the puck.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Barzal could likely only score 5 more points in his last 20 games and still win this by a mile. He's lapped competition; just give the kid an award.

Insane last year we were pumping so many tires for rookies... and this year we have one that's better than almost all of them last year; yet no one really cares all that much.

Reactions: Riseonfire

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland

Barzal is basically carrying the offense right now. Almost every shift he's creating chances.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Barzal could likely only score 5 more points in his last 20 games and still win this by a mile. He's lapped competition; just give the kid an award.

Insane last year we were pumping so many tires for rookies... and this year we have one that's better than almost all of them last year; yet no one really cares all that much.
To be fair at least on HF Barzal gets plenty of attention

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

Let's not go too far now, it's not impossible for Barzal to lose the Calder with 67 points if say Boeser went on a tear and hit 35+ goals and a similar point total.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
The true honest answer is I don't know. I don't watch Islanders games and only see highlights. I haven't seen an argument made that would convince me that it is 100% the case. Islanders fans have repeated that it is true in this thread, but I also understand taking the word of a hockey fan on their own player as gospel is not always wise. If someone made a thoroughly convincing argument making it clear as day I could not deny it, but that has not happened. On the surface it still seems possible that his high scoring teammates are having a positive affect on his numbers. But I'm open to the idea.

Fair enough. Thanks for your honest reply.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Let's not go too far now, it's not impossible for Barzal to lose the Calder with 67 points if say Boeser went on a tear and hit 35+ goals and a similar point total.
Boeser has 5 goals and 2 assists (should be 6, got robbed of a goal which clearly hit his stick and not the defenseman) in his last 7 games. Though, he's been very tired and it seems like he's battling some sort of nagging injury particularly his wrist. Hasn't been playing well lately despite those totals.

At this point, Boeser's only chance of getting the calder is if he scores 13 more goals in the next 25-26 games that he has left to hit 40 goals. He's also very banged up just like most of his team right now and it's evident with the way he's playing I doubt he's going to last those 25 games.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
[mod] when has a leaf fan ever said that this is a weak rookie class?

I don't remember many thinking this was a weak rookie class tbh.

I think people said that 2017 was a weak draft. I think sometimes those two ideas can get conflated. Boeser and Barzal are just continuing to show how special that 2015 draft was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Name Nameless

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
[mod] when has a leaf fan ever said that this is a weak rookie class?

I just read a post on the poll forum where a Leaf fan argued Laine and especially Matthews by themselves are worth more than Barzal and Boeser combined.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
I think Barzal is legitimately better than Tavares
So do i. Which is why maybe you let tavares walk and throw all your eggs in the karlsson basket.

Barzal is one of the best players in the league this year. He is efficient, smart, handsome, and damn good.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Reactions: LordNeverLose

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
So do i. Which is why maybe you let tavares walk and throw all your eggs in the karlsson basket.

Barzal is one of the best players in the league this year. He is efficient, smart, handsome, and damn good.
I think having 2 elite centers is what that team has to build around for any success. Who is left if you let JT go ?

Reactions: SI90
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad