Post-Game Talk: Calamari

3 Stars

• Total voters

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Fair point. Just trying to get creative!
I can't blame you, Zegras is hyped to the moon!

He's one of those guys you hear about and then you look at the numbers and you're like "that's it?"

I wouldn't be against forming a package for him but not Miller. I'm still very high on Miller and I just think the pairs we've had for years now aren't cutting it anymore as combos.

Reactions: mas0764

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

He's one of those guys you hear about and then you look at the numbers and you're like "that's it?"

I wouldn't be against forming a package for him but not Miller. I'm still very high on Miller and I just think the pairs we've had for years now aren't cutting it anymore as combos.

It’s kinda ironic about Zegras, he is hated and bashed on the mains by multiple fan bases and yet Rangers fans are so hyped on him to be traded here.

My observation, no one actually watches the Ducks games.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
getting caught deep continues to be a problem.

Way too many oddman rushes.

Is it a systems/execution problem? 3 forwards get caught deep too often.

Rangers' fandom means never letting your guard down.

Yes! How many times do we the forwards accelerating toward the O-zone but somehow the puck got turned around & the opponent has an odd-man rush? And the players always seem surprised when this happens.

Part of it is because they criss-cross a lot, they do it high in the zone, and the D also pinch pretty aggressively. You cause a turnover when two Rangers are intersecting, you trap both of them.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Can anyone explain the Wheeler for Kakko move at the end. There is no reason that makes sense. We want defense to protect the lead? That's not Wheeler. This is about building confidence? Kakko certainly needs that more. I just don't get it. Unless I missed an icing and it was mid change?
Maybe just easing Kakko into a normal amount of ice time? Idk. I don't mind if the staff takes their time resting him if the injury is bothering him at all.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Can anyone explain the Wheeler for Kakko move at the end. There is no reason that makes sense. We want defense to protect the lead? That's not Wheeler. This is about building confidence? Kakko certainly needs that more. I just don't get it. Unless I missed an icing and it was mid change?
It's probably lead protection. I mean, that's incorrect, but that's what it is.

Laviolette seems to think you're good defensively if you're a vet regardless of performance. Trouba, Bonino, Wheeler, Goodrow. Three of them get leaned on in defensive roles and Wheeler is always defending with an empty net on the other end.

It's pretty insane, because if there's one thing Kakko is unabashedly very good at, it's defense.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It’s kinda ironic about Zegras, he is hated and bashed on the mains by multiple fan bases and yet Rangers fans are so hyped on him to be traded here.

My observation, no one actually watches the Ducks games.
What’s your take?

I honestly don’t think he’s what we need stylistically. He’s a great offensive player but we need someone more along the lines of a Sam Bennett. Maybe I’m wrong.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What’s your take?

I honestly don’t think he’s what we need stylistically. He’s a great offensive player but we need someone more along the lines of a Sam Bennett. Maybe I’m wrong.
We still could use some skill. Our passing is still bad outside of Panarin, and our rush game is honestly nothing to write home about.

More skill would allow less cheating and settle other guys into a more north-south game.

I'm just concerned about the price. I'm always wary of guys that are hyped beyond their results because they're visually noticeable players, even if they're good players.

Reactions: duhmetreE

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
What’s your take?

Importing one N-S player is not going to make a difference, imo. This core needs to be turned over. Until then, we're all hoping to get as much mileage out of this core as possible.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What’s your take?

He is going to be a 70-80 point player in the league no doubt but his overall game leaves a lot to be desired. He makes a lot of poor decisions that go with his skilled plays and goal scoring. See the Ducks OT loss against Toronto.

He also will if not already lose the 1C job to Leo Carlsson who is looking very good so far. People think because he is not a Verbeek type player and that his buddy Drysdale was traded means he will be moved. That is not true. He has bought into the defensive part of the game which had improved last season from his rookie year but this season , missing camp, the multiple injuries is pretty much a lost season for him.

The fans here are gonna turn sour on him quickly because even though the skill is there he is going to make these poor decisions that lead to goals against and it’s going to be like Mika Zibanejad bashing all over again.

As per the toxicity around him. People need to stop, this is why i hate twitter/X and places like Reddit and try very hard to make sure HF doesn’t turn into those places. He literally apologized to Dostal after making that bad turnover in the Toronto game which led to the OT loss. He supports and defends his teammates and the coaching staff has been impressed with him wanting to buy into the defense. But it’s not going to improve overnight and missing so much time it has hurt his development.

I would not mind him in a Rangers sweater but if people think he will fix all the Rangers issues, are going to be very disappointed Plus the price is going to be a lot more than Drysdale was. Someone big has to be going back the other way. Ducks are not taking just futures and scraps for Zegras.

Reactions: duhmetreE

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Zibanejad is going to have the worst 80-90 point season of all time.
I wonder if he needs glasses ? He can't seem to handle/cradle a pass and shoot the one timer . Goalies must love the extra time to get set . Hopefully he figures it out....maybe a couple of games on the 2nd unit who are getting less time then they previously had and bump Laff? up ? Zibs is not going to score standing at the 5 O'Clock position on the circle waiting flat footed .....too far out out most times and they are ready for him .

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
He is going to be a 70-80 point player in the league no doubt but his overall game leaves a lot to be desired. He makes a lot of poor decisions that go with his skilled plays and goal scoring. See the Ducks OT loss against Toronto.

He also will if not already lose the 1C job to Leo Carlsson who is looking very good so far. People think because he is not a Verbeek type player and that his buddy Drysdale was traded means he will be moved. That is not true. He has bought into the defensive part of the game which had improved last season from his rookie year but this season , missing camp, the multiple injuries is pretty much a lost season for him.

The fans here are gonna turn sour on him quickly because even though the skill is there he is going to make these poor decisions that lead to goals against and it’s going to be like Mika Zibanejad bashing all over again.

As per the toxicity around him. People need to stop, this is why i hate twitter/X and places like Reddit and try very hard to make sure HF doesn’t turn into those places. He literally apologized to Dostal after making that bad turnover in the Toronto game which led to the OT loss. He supports and defends his teammates and the coaching staff has been impressed with him wanting to buy into the defense. But it’s not going to improve overnight and missing so much time it has hurt his development.

I would not mind him in a Rangers sweater but if people think he will fix all the Rangers issues, are going to be very disappointed Plus the price is going to be a lot more than Drysdale was. Someone big has to be going back the other way. Ducks are not taking just futures and scraps for Zegras.

He will fix our lack of Michigan problem. That itself is worth acquiring him.

Reactions: Leonardo87

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
yeah this is way more egregious than anything Gallant did. say what you want about him but his player usage was better than this.
Is it possible just possible, Kakko was a little gassed at the end. Workouts or not he's not in full game shape. So he gave him a longer breather. Sometimes the coaches do know what they're doing. But we won, so we must find stuff to complain about and prove fans are smarter then coaches.

Reactions: FUZfan

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Someone mentioned a few weeks back on here how Vesey's biggest weakness is shooting off the pass, and my first thought was 'that's an oddly specific weakness'. Since then he's missed no less than 3 half open nets by flubbing shots off the pass.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Is it possible just possible, Kakko was a little gassed at the end. Workouts or not he's not in full game shape. So he gave him a longer breather. Sometimes the coaches do know what they're doing. But we won, so we must find stuff to complain about and prove fans are smarter then coaches.

wasn't referring to Kakko at all. was responding to a post about Trouba being used more than Fox.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Kandre is not interested in playng hockey this year...if i were to guess him and coaching staff oil and vinegar
WTF is going on with him ? Did we ever hear why he was sat down for 2 games earlier ? He is certainly taken a step backwards in his development . If there are off ice troubles of some sort the Rangers have to know that . If so.....and they continue......they might have to move him while they can . It right now is an extreme waste of talent for us .

Reactions: cheech70

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Something I noticed this game and a few recently is that PP1 taking the full 2 minutes again. Beginning of the season and the time was split, but it's becoming a 1:30/:30 split like it was in the past. This is why we are seeing more Goodrow/Bonino, those are the only other centers and that limits sustaining that pressure from a PP.

When PP1 is done at 1-1:10 mark, Laviolette can come back with the top unit guys when the PP ends instead of going into the bottom 6. It should be happening even less with Kakko back because you can actually run a PP2 that doesn't have Vesey.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
WTF is going on with him ? Did we ever hear why he was sat down for 2 games earlier ? He is certainly taken a step backwards in his development . If there are off ice troubles of some sort the Rangers have to know that . If so.....and they continue......they might have to move him while they can . It right now is an extreme waste of talent for us .
If i remember correctly, he wasn't sat. He left the team for a personal issue.

Reactions: leetch99

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
It's much easier to blame team defense than goaltending. In one scenario, you're assign group blame to 18 people. In another, you're laying it at a single player's feet. You rarely see a coach call out a specific player. It's just optics.
And it's easier to blame the D than most of the forwards. Given where we stand in GA, top ten, how f***king horrendous must everyone else's D grouping look? It's easy to blame the D, when sometimes their scrambling, but how often are they scrambling because the F's leave them hanging. Everyone wants perfection.

Reactions: FUZfan

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
If i remember correctly, he wasn't sat. He left the team for a personal issue.
During the broadcast in the second game somebody mentioned that he was available but it was a coaches decision to sit him for that game . I'm not sure which guy in the booth said it.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Something I noticed this game and a few recently is that PP1 taking the full 2 minutes again. Beginning of the season and the time was split, but it's becoming a 1:30/:30 split like it was in the past. This is why we are seeing more Goodrow/Bonino, those are the only other centers and that limits sustaining that pressure from a PP.

When PP1 is done at 1-1:10 mark, Laviolette can come back with the top unit guys when the PP ends instead of going into the bottom 6. It should be happening even less with Kakko back because you can actually run a PP2 that doesn't have Vesey.
Yea they need to go back to that. And also when PP1 has less time they tend to shoot the puck more instead of trying to find the perfect pass. Big reason why the PP was so effective. I agree it didnt make sense to take them off recently because who wants to see the Vesey/Brod unit out there.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
It's probably lead protection. I mean, that's incorrect, but that's what it is.

Laviolette seems to think you're good defensively if you're a vet regardless of performance. Trouba, Bonino, Wheeler, Goodrow. Three of them get leaned on in defensive roles and Wheeler is always defending with an empty net on the other end.

It's pretty insane, because if there's one thing Kakko is unabashedly very good at, it's defense.
wheeler being out there was complete horseshit. Also Bonino played 15:30 last night, 3rd among forwards…

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I am too. I don't want Miller to go anywhere. He is an absolute stud.... most of the time.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Imo Trouba is coasting to playoffs now, he's not going for the big hits and playing rough, that's when he's best. I'm with him on that too, we don't need to beat ourselves up when we are this far into a playoff spot. I believe that pairing will be good in playoffs again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad