Injury Report: Cal Clutterbuck UPD: Placed on IR

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Oiler fan coming in peace. As soon as I saw it I figured 2 games seemed right, given Hall has no history of suspensions or dirty plays. If it is Matt Cooke making that same hit I think 6 games might have been the ruling. Anyway, a couple points I'd like to make.

1) I thought that in some ways this reminded me of the Steve Moore hit on Naslund, in that the player lining up the hit saw the play developing and by the time the puck is arriving, is already committed to the hit. With Naslund it was a pass out of his reach that increased his vulnerability, with Clutterbuck it was a bouncing puck that bounces over his skate, causing him to follow the path of the puck (and also not expect to be hit, given he never had the puck). Taylor Hall made a poor decision at full speed. I'm not defending the hit itself, but I don't think Hall had any malicious intent given how fast the play developed. Hopefully we don't see the same response we saw in the Naslund incident, as I'm sure we can all agree no good came of that.

2) I think the best answer to all of this - if CC is good to go in time for the next Oil/Wild game - is him and Hall squaring off to start the game. Helmets off, then throw down. Whatever the result, you guys are taking our best player off the ice for 5 minutes to start the game, and amping up the Minny faithful. Maybe Eager and Konopka can also be on the ice for the opening face off, kind of like the Rangers/Devils game last year.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Oiler fan coming in peace. As soon as I saw it I figured 2 games seemed right, given Hall has no history of suspensions or dirty plays. If it is Matt Cooke making that same hit I think 6 games might have been the ruling. Anyway, a couple points I'd like to make.

1) I thought that in some ways this reminded me of the Steve Moore hit on Naslund, in that the player lining up the hit saw the play developing and by the time the puck is arriving, is already committed to the hit. With Naslund it was a pass out of his reach that increased his vulnerability, with Clutterbuck it was a bouncing puck that bounces over his skate, causing him to follow the path of the puck (and also not expect to be hit, given he never had the puck). Taylor Hall made a poor decision at full speed. I'm not defending the hit itself, but I don't think Hall had any malicious intent given how fast the play developed. Hopefully we don't see the same response we saw in the Naslund incident, as I'm sure we can all agree no good came of that.

2) I think the best answer to all of this - if CC is good to go in time for the next Oil/Wild game - is him and Hall squaring off to start the game. Helmets off, then throw down. Whatever the result, you guys are taking our best player off the ice for 5 minutes to start the game, and amping up the Minny faithful. Maybe Eager and Konopka can also be on the ice for the opening face off, kind of like the Rangers/Devils game last year.

I wish all Oil fans were like you. Smart, reasonable, good analogies. We can have our rivalry, but it's in good spirit.... Ah well...

At the next game I don't want to see anything dirty either. That's just not what this is about, what are we the Pens:sarcasm:

I hope we check the crap out of Hall, and it's all completely clean.

Good luck to your ridiculously overskilled, yet sadly (good for us) underachieving, team. I'm sorry that we will have to destroy you;)

Billy Mays Here*

Anyone think in a regular season Hall would have gotten more?

No. I believe I saw an article somewhere on TSN that said the NHL isn't shortening any of the suspensions just because it's a shortened season. There's no difference between this season and a normal season in terms of suspension length.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
I haven't posted in a couple of days, but I think the penalty was not enough.

5 games would have been the way to go IMO. Hall led with his knee, it doesn't matter if the knee or thigh was the principal point of contact.

Leading with the knee is just too dangerous.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
he's only getting a couple because it's his first suspension and there is plenty or room to interpret the knee as a poor decision rather than malicious calculation. They're going to do this for everyone who wasn't obviously trying to murder the guy they hit (like Downie on Mcammond).

The suspension will go up next time he does something worthy--even if they don't think it was intentional--because they're also punishing recklessness/carelessness and stupidity isn't a valid defense.

Karl

Feb 4, 2005
The State of Hockey
I am quite pleased with this ruling. I knew he wasn't getting everything over five games but just a couple and being on the list is great. It hopefully will send a message to Hall to cut out the dirty plays. Nice job Shanahan.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I wish all Oil fans were like you. Smart, reasonable, good analogies. We can have our rivalry, but it's in good spirit.... Ah well...

At the next game I don't want to see anything dirty either. That's just not what this is about, what are we the Pens:sarcasm:

I hope we check the crap out of Hall, and it's all completely clean.

Good luck to your ridiculously overskilled, yet sadly (good for us) underachieving, team. I'm sorry that we will have to destroy you;)

Indeed. I'm good with that post, the term of the punishment and that poster gets bonus points for the Mushroomhead avatar.

Quicy

Jun 24, 2012
hi there, any concrete update on clutter's injury? any source on when he will be back? Thanks.

Clutterbuck missed practice, with what Wild Head Coach Mike Yeo described as a thigh contusion. The forward suffered a similar injury last season and said there really is no timetable set for a return, but that he would take things day by day... doesn’t look like there is any damage to the knee

From the Wild website, doesn't sound like it will be that long before he plays.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
they said clutterbuck skated yesterday and did not appear to be limping after the practice. i thought that was good news get well soon big buck! any eddy fans care to revise their statements about cal fakin it? hes missed 5 games and counting.

THEALLKNOWING*

Has anyone missed C.C? Package with PMB and see what you can get Fletch!

Doobz89

Apr 12, 2011
Has anyone missed C.C? Package with PMB and see what you can get Fletch!

I agree, where does he fit into this line up now? That 3rd lined showed some good chemistry last game so cant break them up. Who would come out for him?

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
The team has been lacking physicality. It's noticeable.

Koivu, Coyle, Gooch, Konopka, Brodziak, and Rupp should provide much more hitting than needed. They just need to get the memo.

Clutter should certainly help though. I can't wait to get him back.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
hey now, don't spit on Seto's contributions. he's been consistent all year in the hitting department.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
To be honest. This showed how expendable he kind of is.
Exactly.

Not many people will own up to how Clutterbuck has peaked and that he negates a lot of offense.

Not saying he isn't a good player, but I don't see him long term on this team.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Exactly.

Not many people will own up to how Clutterbuck has peaked and that he negates a lot of offense.

Not saying he isn't a good player, but I don't see him long term on this team.

I like the guy and I know he's a fan favorite...but it is simply because he actually goes to hit people. Decent PK guy. But I honestly would rather him sit in the pressbox than Coyle, Granlund or Zucker at this point. Not to mention I still want Larsson back up too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad