C William Nylander (2014, 8th, TOR) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Lmao. Nylander is nothing like Skinner. I'm guessing you haven't watched any marlies games

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
In which ways are Skinner and Nylander comparable?

Small frame. Good skaters. Good shot/release. High offensive IQ. Good stick handling, not good defensively.

I really think you guys didn't watch Skinner much in junior or at all. Leaf fans will be lucky if Nylander ever becomes a 30 goal 60 point guy, yet here tou are acting like its an insult to be compared to Jeff Skinner. And guess what? A quick google search just revealed I am not the first one to see this comparison.

You guys throw around wild comparisons like Pavel Datsyuk, Claude Giroux and Patrick Kane. Guess what? Not even close. Jeff Skinner, pre concussion is a spot on comparable.

Stop crying.

snizzbone*

Small frame. Good skaters. Good shot/release. High offensive IQ. Good stick handling, not good defensively.

I really think you guys didn't watch Skinner much in junior or at all. Leaf fans will be lucky if Nylander ever becomes a 30 goal 60 point guy, yet here tou are acting like its an insult to be compared to Jeff Skinner. And guess what? A quick google search just revealed I am not the first one to see this comparison.

You guys throw around wild comparisons like Pavel Datsyuk, Claude Giroux and Patrick Kane. Guess what? Not even close. Jeff Skinner, pre concussion is a spot on comparable.

Stop crying.

Skinner isn't a 30 goal 60 point player anymore though. He's been brutal since 2013-2014. This is why people don't like that comparison. Nylander is also a much better playmaker. Not to mention they don't skate similar.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I don't think being compared to Jeff Skinner is an "insult" for William Nylander. If he'd been able to stay healthy, Skinner would be a much different, and better player today. We should be so lucky to have a Jeff Skinner coming up.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Stop crying.

Quit being an ass -- nobody is crying. Just calling you out on a shady comparable. As a kitchener native I wonder how much YOU actually watched Skinner in Jr. Skinner was an okay skater, and that's being nice, no where near the level Nylanders skating is right now. All those broad terms you used in your first paragraph to describe the similarities could be used for a majority of the high octane offensive forward <6', even the players like Giroux, Datsyuk, Kane (other then being bad at D, though I don't think Willy is bad on the other side of the puck, he's just a typical 19 year old centre)

I do not agree with the Skinner comparable though I don't think there is anything wrong with Skinner as a player (other than the injuries) -- I just think there are better comparables for Willie. Reassure yourself all you want but it isn't spot on.

When I say comparable I mean playing style. Not even sure why you would bring up Skinners production?

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Skinner is a terrible comparison. He's more of a shoot first winger who relies on his agility than his top speed to make plays

And yeah, you're using very broad terms there JohnnyGoodDro. You could make that comparison fit for even Gaudreau :laugh:

Last edited:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Stop crying.

Yes, but I just did a quick google search as well and got a name like P.Kane, so what does that prove about google searches? lol.

In saying that, I don't really see the similarity in play-style, but I also wouldn't be upset if it is a pre-concussion Skinner like player.

Nylander's playmaking and Hockey IQ separate him from Skinner in terms of comparisons, Skinner always put himself in bad positions, even going back to junior.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Reminds me of Alfie honestly. Sick wrister, good skater, good passer, high IQ offensively.

I actually think he reminds me of Alfie as well. Very smart player, good skater, etc. I can see Nylander hitting 70+ points in his career, doubt he will become as good of a leader as Alfie, but who knows at this point, kid is too young.

Personally I don't think Nylander plays with enough grit to be an effective comparison to Giroux- I think Marner and Giroux are very similar.

The way Nylander strips puck is very similar to Datsyuk but I doubt he ever challenges for a Selke let alone multiple.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Huge boost for Sweden. Arguably the best forward in the tournament has just been added to their roster if the reports of him joining their team is accurate.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I actually think he reminds me of Alfie as well. Very smart player, good skater, etc. I can see Nylander hitting 70+ points in his career, doubt he will become as good of a leader as Alfie, but who knows at this point, kid is too young.

Personally I don't think Nylander plays with enough grit to be an effective comparison to Giroux- I think Marner and Giroux are very similar.

The way Nylander strips puck is very similar to Datsyuk but I doubt he ever challenges for a Selke let alone multiple.
Clune says he's a leader in the dressing room. Very vocal well respected and liked.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/clune-nylander-a-leader-for-marlies-1.402439

91Kadri91*

Jeff Skinner, pre concussion is a spot on comparable.

Stop crying.

It's not a good comparison.

I don't think it's an insult at all (Skinner was a great player before the concussions), but the comparison just doesn't make sense: they don't play the game the same way at all. Will Nylander's performance (in term of the numbers they output) mirror that of Skinner's (pre-concussion)? Perhaps, but the way they go about putting up those numbers will be completely different.

I don't think it matters how someone reaches the ultimate result (in this context), but I also think it's disingenuous (or naive) to believe that Skinner is a great comparable for Nylander, given that they play the game very differently (even if the results may ultimately be similar).

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS

Not sure if he's involved in the decision, but it sure sounds like the Leafs might like the idea of him going.

Interesting.

I think it could do wonders for Kapanen, a chance to dominate play in a huge tournament like this.

I don't see it making that much of a difference for Nylander, but what do I know.

Regardless, I'm really excited to see Nylander and Marner go head to head. I always look forward to the World Juniors, but this year is going to be especially exciting!

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

Stop crying.

Nylander doesn't have a small frame. He's quite bulky now actually, and much stronger on the puck. Nylander may not be "good" defensively, but he's certainly not bad either. He's come a long way. Skinner gets crushed more than any player I've ever seen, Nylander not so much.

Your comparison is truly terrible.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Huge boost for Sweden. Arguably the best forward in the tournament has just been added to their roster if the reports of him joining their team is accurate.

I'd say he&Rantanen are going to be top2 there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad