C William Nylander (2014, 8th, TOR) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Hmm yes Nylander.

An interesting comparable. A ninth overall pick centre, who if I recall was very highly touted before and going into his draft year but fell for alleged character concerns. Came back with two strong developmental years, and (albeit as a 20 year old) in his first season starting in the ahl put up a 1.26 ppg before getting called up midway through the season and never looked back.

Who is an interesting comparable to Nylander? You never mentioned a name.

Ed Belfour

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
I like the tough love from Keefe. You may be the golden boy prospect right now, but you're not exempt from accountability - something we've sorely lacked the last few years. I bet he comes out like a madman next game.

...Or we can look at this as another example of how his brother is so clearly the superior prospect. Up to you I guess.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I like the tough love from Keefe. You may be the golden boy prospect right now, but you're not exempt from accountability - something we've sorely lacked the last few years. I bet he comes out like a madman next game.

...Or we can look at this as another example of how his brother is so clearly the superior prospect. Up to you I guess.

His brother is not comparable offensively. Look how they did in the same leagues in Sweden. William has the potential to be a ppg centre, Alex more along the lines of 65 point winger.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

how does this show his brother is clearly the better prospect?

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

Lol... Alex Nylander is a great prospect but not in the same realm as William.

snizzbone*

Lol... Alex Nylander is a great prospect but not in the same realm as William.

I mean he is. He's a projected top 10 pick, same as William. Difference is William has had an amazing post draft career, making him a better prospect now that when he was drafted.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I mean he is. He's a projected top 10 pick, same as William. Difference is William has had an amazing post draft career, making him a better prospect now that when he was drafted.

William had better numbers pre draft. He was undoubtedly considered to be a better prospect at least in terms of pre draft POV.

They might both go top ten in their respective drafts but that's either because 2014 was very strong class, or 2016 is weaker than we think.

snizzbone*

William had better numbers pre draft. He was undoubtedly considered to be a better prospect at least in terms of pre draft POV.

They might both go top ten in their respective drafts but that's either because 2014 was very strong class, or 2016 is weaker than we think.

Players get better over time. Maybe Alex wasn't as developed at 16 as William was? Regardless both are very special players, I take Will 10/10 times though.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

The thing is William has had better numbers at every level of play. He was also touted as the best offensive talent in his year and his stock slipped during his draft year.

snizzbone*

The thing is William has had better numbers at every level of play. He was also touted as the best offensive talent in his year and his stock slipped during his draft year.

that doesn't mean Alex didn't develop slower than William. It's entirely possible for players to have larger jumps in ability at different times.

genk

Nov 15, 2015
To all the pundits that argued against the notion that the Leafs were taking a slow approach, one only needs to look at this most recent recall of Clune. It cannot seriously be argued that Clune has either an offensive or defensive game better than Nylander's, yet he'll be heading to the NHL before Nylander.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
To all the pundits that argued against the notion that the Leafs were taking a slow approach, one only needs to look at this most recent recall of Clune. It cannot seriously be argued that Clune has either an offensive or defensive game better than Nylander's, yet he'll be heading to the NHL before Nylander.

there is no way leafs management will burn a year off of Nylander's ELC to bring him up this year.

It's got to be a timing thing for the leafs we will need all our prospects (future and current) on the NHL squad at the right time (under the cap).

snizzbone*

there is no way leafs management will burn a year off of Nylander's ELC to bring him up this year.

It's got to be a timing thing for the leafs we will need all our prospects (future and current) on the NHL squad at the right time (under the cap).

Definitely don't think they care about the ELC. If anything it could be better to let him burn it now so he's not in his absolute prime when it expires. I do think they'll wait until after the 40 game mark, as that is the time in which a season counts towards UFA age. If they wait til I believe Jan 17th, he won't have UFA rights until he is 27 (would be 26 if they called him up before then).

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Also the no yoyo factor is in play here too. Clune will fill in for a player who will slide up in the line up filling Lupuls spot.
If his were a permanent top 6 spot available and Willie wasn't called up then that would be more support for the slow approach view.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Definitely don't think they care about the ELC. If anything it could be better to let him burn it now so he's not in his absolute prime when it expires. I do think they'll wait until after the 40 game mark, as that is the time in which a season counts towards UFA age. If they wait til I believe Jan 17th, he won't have UFA rights until he is 27 (would be 26 if they called him up before then).
Mi think they'd like to keep him for as cheap as possible during his prime years of 22-25. If they don't think he'll be hurt from a developmental POV I'm certain he's going to stay with the Marlies all year.

Plus Dubas has stressed keeping developing players In aconsistent and stable environment. It looks like the Leafs won't even let him go to the world Juionrs.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Oh we go again with the Skinner comparisons, which is a terrible comparison. Also not surprised who made the comparison. Doubt he's watched at least 3 Marlies games this year.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Oh we go again with the Skinner comparisons, which is a terrible comparison. Also not surprised who made the comparison. Doubt he's watched at least 3 Marlies games this year.

Doubt he's watched even one.

He seems very uneducated about every leafs prospect honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad