C William Nylander (2014, 8th, TOR) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Let's try to have a good start guys.

I think Nylander has had a good start to the season so far in the AHL. Looks pretty poised and much stronger then last year.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'll repeat what I reported in the last thread for those who come here and are actually interested in what Nylander's doing rather than just being here to pimp out there own prospect:

Brown has been his only consistent winger in every game he's played so far. Played with Brown and Clune for most of the first game. Played on a line with Brown and Panik also. Then last game he played with Brown and Frattin for the first half and then Brown and Soshnikov for the 2nd half.

PP lines are usually Nylander and Brennan on the points (after Nylander takes the opening face off), then Brown, Kapanen and Panik/Frattin up front.

He's played some shorthanded minutes but only sparingly, like near the end of a pk or when there were back-to-back penalties. But he's not a regular on the PK. He was good on faceoffs in the first game but has struggled since then and was completely awful in that department in the last game. He has 5 points in 4 games and has basically been most of the marlies' offense. Other than Byron Froese, no one on that team has had a bigger impact than Nylander so far.

Last edited:

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
he is playing center well this year as well so far being in the right places in his own end and not attempting to cheat or do too much its early but he seems to be playing a quiet game in his own end while being creative on the other end sometimes he looks like hes not working hard enough but he's in the right spot most of the time as far as I can tell

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'll repeat what I reported in the last thread for those who come here and are actually interested in what Nylander's doing rather than just being here to pimp out there own prospect:

Brown has been his only consistent winger in every game he's played so far. Played with Brown and Clune for most of the first game. Played on a line with Brown and Panik also. Then last game he played with Brown and Frattin for the first half and then Brown and Soshnikov for the 2nd half.

PP lines are usually Nylander and Brennan on the points (after Nylander takes the opening face off), then Brown, Kapanen and Panik/Frattin up front.

He's played some shorthanded minutes but only sparingly, like near the end of a pk or when there were back-to-back penalties. But he's not a regular on the PK. He was good on faceoffs in the first game but has struggled since then and was completely awful in that department in the last game. He has 5 points in 4 games and has basically been most of the marlies' offense. Other than Byron Froese, no one on that team has had a bigger impact than Nylander so far.

Face-offs will come with experience. I remember Kadri and Grabovski were pretty awful, but made improvements. Thankfully it is something he can improve upon.

I have noticed that he is able to stay on his feet much better then last year.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
In pretty much any previous regime I can recall he would be on the Leafs right now. It's a little weird to see a franchise who has historically been terrible at both drafting and player development throw their considerable resources into those very things. but a good weird.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
I'm glad that you've said that, so later when you talk about Nylander like you're an expert about him we'll get to look at this quote again and laugh

I have never before said anything about Nylander. Not that there is anything wrong with being in the AHL when your peers are in the NHL. No reason to be upset

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
What are the chances of him and Alexander making the WJHC Sweden team this year?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Im starting to get it... Nylander is the best of the 14 draft hands down, he is god, superman, the next coming of Gretzky, all he touches is elite or crazy. no other prospect can touch him even if the compare Nylander is Just better.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I have never before said anything about Nylander. Not that there is anything wrong with being in the AHL when your peers are in the NHL. No reason to be upset

Im starting to get it... Nylander is the best of the 14 draft hands down, he is god, superman, the next coming of Gretzky, all he touches is elite or crazy. no other prospect can touch him even if the compare Nylander is Just better.

Solid contributions guys, thanks for turning the thread into a real constructive place to talk about Nylander.

What are the chances of him and Alexander making the WJHC Sweden team this year?

I don't think it is likely, and I will be honest I have nothing to base this off but...Nylander already did pretty well at that tournament as an 18 year old. I think they would prefer to keep him in the AHL this time to play against stiffer competition in preparation of making the NHL.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

Before the season I would say very very slim, since Alex is a 98 (not even W Nylander made the team at that age and William is a bigger talent), and I wasnt that impresse by Alex last season in superelit and the coach have many that played last WJHC that can play this year to and so on. But he has a good start of the season in OHL (at least sta tswise), so if he keep that up, they pretty much have to consider him at least.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

All of last season I downplayed the importance of the specific level of play for prospects in their teens, as long as relative performance is very high for that level.

To be consistent, I'll maintain that perspective, which seems to have a lot of new converts this season.

I've always been impressed with Nylander, and this year is no exception. I think he could be playing at the NHL level and doing well.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Let's try to have a good start guys.

I think Nylander has had a good start to the season so far in the AHL. Looks pretty poised and much stronger then last year.

How ever he's just not ready, when he can dominate at the AHL level then and only then can he be summoned for duty in the NHL. He's shown flashes but not consistent enough to play for Babcock.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
How ever he's just not ready, when he can dominate at the AHL level then and only then can he be summoned for duty in the NHL. He's shown flashes but not consistent enough to play for Babcock.

Probably needs to work on faceoffs more, and just be consistent shift to shift. I don't think they did him any favors initially by sticking Clune on a line with him and Brown but he certainly can improve in areas.

His play hasn't been bad by any means, but can he improve? Absolutely.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

He is already dominating the AHL... He is over a PPG so far

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Solid contributions guys, thanks for turning the thread into a real constructive place to talk about Nylander.

I don't think it is likely, and I will be honest I have nothing to base this off but...Nylander already did pretty well at that tournament as an 18 year old. I think they would prefer to keep him in the AHL this time to play against stiffer competition in preparation of making the NHL.

I honestly thought that was what you guys wanted to hear?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

If you can legitimately contribute to this thread, do so, otherwise, leave. No one wants to hear anything. We just want to discuss his development.

At this point it doesn't seem like you watch Nylander or can give us any insight on his progress, so it is probably the latter for you.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

If you want to criticize the kid fine. But do it without bringing up other prospects just to prop them up. You wouldn't care for it if we brought up Nylander in the Virtanen thread, you most likely didn't like hearing about him across the forums (given your hostility here now) so don't do it here. That's it.

It's unlikely you watch Nylander at all anyway, so it's doubtful you have anything constructive to say about his development in any case.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
If you can legitimately contribute to this thread, do so, otherwise, leave.

At this point it doesn't seem like you watch Nylander or can give us any insight on his progress, so it is probably the latter for you.

oh I see, so when I asked about his play away from the puck, his play n his own zone, 7 wasn't doing the things you ask?

I will not leave, as I, and other remember well how soooooo many threads have been invaded with Nylander fan bous tryng to discredit other prospects.

at this point I have not mentioned one single prospect other than Willie in this thread, I have asked avout him, I have mentioned I cant wait to follow him in the NHL.

the only thing I did do, was tell Atomos I found him to be writing and acting in a very ironic behaviour.
No slight on Willie, but some of his fans.

I would still like to get an answer on my questions, as I really do like Nylander, he was my first choice with Ehlers for my Canucks.

I too thought he was ready for NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad